Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Spent some time with a 2021 Ram TRX

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I'd sell it now for $87 if you can and get your next one for ~$72! Pick up a cheap used Hellcat and drive that this summer ;)
I actually came across a Hydro Blue Rubicon with a manual on a nationwide search for Jeeps.

Not even in the same ballpark but I love Jeeps and haven't had one in 6 years.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
When is TRX expected? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
It may be at the dealer already. Gotta call and find out.

Anyway, my thoughts on it will be based on driving it up on the trailer, then off the trailer and up on the lift.
After that it'll be handed over to my girlfriend, with a stern reminder about the break-in procedures.

Although, she's getting used to the break-in rules by now, so maybe just a friendly reminder.

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #43
Here's what I'm kind of after. I love the Adaptive Cruise on my Raptor, but I can live without it. The 360 Camera is something I use more than I thought. TRXTowMirrors.jpg

Attachments

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
That is basically my truck
Except it has rock rails instead of running boards
Bead lock wheels
HK stereo
and the camera stuff

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Built mine with every option, except Launch edition..msrp was little over 97k before tax

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, now that it's here, some initial impressions:

The lower A-arms look like something off a 1-ton. The rear driveshaft is about five inches in diameter, larger than that on my Ram 3500 diesel (but it is aluminum). The level plug on the Dana 60 is regular pipe thread, which makes it cheap to switch to a magnetic one.
Up front, the diff housing looks like an upside down (reverse rotation) version of the 'Cat's rear diff (good thing I bought extras of those magnetic plugs).

Filling the transfer case won't be as easy as it could be, as the exhaust runs right behind it. All four corners have what would normally be height sensors in an air spring application. Must be for the fancy shocks.
Lower links on the rear are stout, and the geometry looks much better than that on the 2500s. DSCN3801[1].JPG DSCN3802.JPG DSCN3803.JPG DSCN3804.JPG
And don't drive too far with a flat rear tire...the bottom of the shock is below the level of the rim.

Also, the oil filter is up front, pointing straight forward. Haven't taken the substantial skidplate off yet for a closer inspection of that area.

Anyway, so far I'm impressed.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And the photos would've been better had this thing not been too wide for the 4-post lift. Sorry.
DSCN3805.JPG DSCN3806.JPG

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Damn she’s a beast and great photos!

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Okay, now that it's here, some initial impressions:

The lower A-arms look like something off a 1-ton. The rear driveshaft is about five inches in diameter, larger than that on my Ram 3500 diesel (but it is aluminum). The level plug on the Dana 60 is regular pipe thread, which makes it cheap to switch to a magnetic one.
Up front, the diff housing looks like an upside down (reverse rotation) version of the 'Cat's rear diff (good thing I bought extras of those magnetic plugs).

Filling the transfer case won't be as easy as it could be, as the exhaust runs right behind it. All four corners have what would normally be height sensors in an air spring application. Must be for the fancy shocks.
Lower links on the rear are stout, and the geometry looks much better than that on the 2500s. View attachment 41385 View attachment 41386 View attachment 41387 View attachment 41388
And don't drive too far with a flat rear tire...the bottom of the shock is below the level of the rim.

Also, the oil filter is up front, pointing straight forward. Haven't taken the substantial skidplate off yet for a closer inspection of that area.

Anyway, so far I'm impressed.
Nice.. thanks for posting!! I cant wait man!!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Good relationship with the dealer. And we have bought a few vehicles from there in the past seven years.
Maybe eight or nine, not counting this 1500.

It's an odd situation, but being a very small dealership, a sale can mean more to them than the profit.
Guy is still making a profit. No one is selling anything at a loss, no matter how great a relationship there is. There is a ton of profit in these things.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Guy is still making a profit. No one is selling anything at a loss, no matter how great a relationship there is. There is a ton of profit in these things.
They're much less than a 'Hawk, but there's undoubtedly still a profit to be made.
Either way, when it comes to losing the dealership status, if there aren't enough sales, selling at a loss can be an appealing way. And I've benefited from that.

Although, it seems I have referred enough people that these days they're more than safe. But we still got a very good deal.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Oh, it's a great freaking deal man!

And you are quite right, that there are situations where it makes sense. About 20 years ago there was a dealership in Houston that would sell at or near a loss because they made the difference up through winning a Ford Top X Dealer, that paid a few million or something like that. I pulled a GT convertible from them for a loss. A buddy at another dealership, when I told him what I had cut with the GM at this place said, "If they're really offering you that price, buy it right now. I cannot touch it, as much as I'd love to have your business."

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Ton of profit??? Not NEARLY as much as one would think! Dealer stands to make more on my 19 Limited I pre traded...then my new TRX