Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stellantis strike

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
Canadian labor union Unifor said more than 8,200 workers have gone on strike at Stellantis' (NYSE:STLA) facilities in Canada, as negotiators failed to reach an agreement before the Sunday midnight strike deadline.
"We have made progress and we will continue to negotiate through the night," said Unifor, which is seeking improved wages and pensions, among other demands.
The walkouts in Canada come close on the heel of Stellantis (STLA) and the United Auto Workers union in the U.S. reaching a tentative deal to put an end to a strike that began in Sept. Note that Unifor's talks with Stellantis (STLA) are separate from the UAW's negotiations.
Unifor had recently ratified new three-year labor contracts with General Motors (GM) and Ford Motor (F).

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Just an FYI, we tradesmen here in USA at Stellantis started back last night, one day ahead of production to prep the lines for start up since they’ve been idle for 45 days! Shits gonna break at start up! Trying to head off most problems before they start up of production tomorrow morning.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm in the same position...I get a new ram pickup (DD ) every 3 yrs...I'm currently on my 9th...a 2021 ram limited...it's up in April...guess I better start my search now...
I figure around 2027 things will get real trying to find what you want.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Anything the government puts its hands in turns to shit. Just too many cooks in the kitchen for anything to have common sense. Then you get the nuts like we have now in charge and here we go.

At the end of the day car companies are in the business of making money selling their product. If they're not making a product people want they don't make money, it won't matter how much the gubment tries to influence their products. I'm of the opinion if they push too hard and start trying to outlaw gasoline, no more ICE cars, etc they'll have a revolution on their hands. That may end up happening anyway, but that'd definitely speed things up. Americans look at cars as freedom, it's a completely different mentality that other parts of the world where they're typically considered an appliance.

IMO instead of pushing all this EV stuff and throwing good money after bad, why not invest in more GOOD public transportation? Seems that'd make a lot more sense. If I could hop on rail to get to work and could answer some emails and get some things done a long the way I'd be all over that and save my car for weekend enjoyment.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Da Sprang Hill factory in Tenn. Iza wurked on dat 1 in da 1980s. If snot mis taken when it waz originally made in2 a Nissan Truck factory. Brand new it waz. It waz really nice and huge. It waz dee 1st non union plant of it's type. I wurked on da power house, of horse. All cumponentz were Stainless, whore more, instead of allumium. Da plant had it's personell problems frum da start. Thank god, I waz snot part of that, just new construction.
Dis striken bizness seams 2 bee spreaden like oxys. This has become big biz for both sides. But, I see a brick wall in da future. Lots of $$ bee en spent with no give or take.

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Anything the government puts its hands in turns to shit. Just too many cooks in the kitchen for anything to have common sense. Then you get the nuts like we have now in charge and here we go.

At the end of the day car companies are in the business of making money selling their product. If they're not making a product people want they don't make money, it won't matter how much the gubment tries to influence their products. I'm of the opinion if they push too hard and start trying to outlaw gasoline, no more ICE cars, etc they'll have a revolution on their hands. That may end up happening anyway, but that'd definitely speed things up. Americans look at cars as freedom, it's a completely different mentality that other parts of the world where they're typically considered an appliance.

IMO instead of pushing all this EV stuff and throwing good money after bad, why not invest in more GOOD public transportation? Seems that'd make a lot more sense. If I could hop on rail to get to work and could answer some emails and get some things done a long the way I'd be all over that and save my car for weekend enjoyment.
Isn t that the truth

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Personally if the government wants to push EV then it should be all public services going first! Leave the general public alone and let us decide what we want!

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Annnnnnd as expected, this from Ford's former CEO:

Former Ford CEO Mark Fields, speaking to CNBC Monday, called the new deal a "very rich contract," saying that it allows the workers to "recoup" in the wake of a challenging, inflationary economic environment.

Going forward, Fields said, the automakers are going to have to closely examine their production processes, looking for ways to increase efficiencies to make up for the added labor cost that will result from the new deals. Ford, for example, said that the contract would make each vehicle the company produces around $900 more expensive.

"Automation in the plants is now going to look a lot more compelling," Fields said, noting that these coming cost-saving efforts will influence the automakers' "future investment decisions and hiring decisions."

Fields added that the terms of the contract do give the automakers room to explore greater automation. The union did not immediately respond to TheStreet's request for comment on this point.

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile

Former Ford CEO Mark Fields, speaking to CNBC Monday, called the new deal a "very rich contract," saying that it allows the workers to "recoup" in the wake of a challenging, inflationary economic environment.

Going forward, Fields said, the automakers are going to have to closely examine their production processes, looking for ways to increase efficiencies to make up for the added labor cost that will result from the new deals. Ford, for example, said that the contract would make each vehicle the company produces around $900 more expensive.

"Automation in the plants is now going to look a lot more compelling," Fields said, noting that these coming cost-saving efforts will influence the automakers' "future investment decisions and hiring decisions."

Fields added that the terms of the contract do give the automakers room to explore greater automation. The union did not immediately respond to TheStreet's request for comment on this point.
No one seen that coming :rolleyes:

Pretty soon production will shift to China / India
They are already doing everything else there
The only thing keeping them here now is taxpayers money dumped on their doorstep

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The problem is most people are short sighted. Don't have the money put it on credit no worry if I can't pay that bill next month.

Ask for more money at work because inflation is out of control. Nevermid more money in the economy will further push inflation.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

A quarter million dollar AI controlled robot starts looking pretty attractive and never calls in sick.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Slurry 2 say, butt I had da oppturnity 2 wurk wit deez whore botics. Deez wurked on autos and unce day were calibrated, core ectly. Day don't cery, call in sick, have an knee operation, menstral thugs, gettster pragnant, children attentions. Just a spit of grease, wart neo, ect. Butt, no Diamund Dolls invulved wit mobile homes tars. Unce in place, deez machines wood wurk 24- 7 witt no cum plapintz. It don't cum cheap butt it wurks. Fer a while. Power runz out cauze dare is an idiot in da house that reefuszes 2 plug in da 220. Weeve bee 2 blame. Goen back 2 tellaco.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
A quarter million dollar AI controlled robot starts looking pretty attractive and never calls in sick.
Just curious but do you ever have anything positive to say about middle class working people? Doesn’t seem so!

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
Personally if the government wants to push EV then it should be all public services going first! Leave the general public alone and let us decide what we want!
When Air Force 1 goes electric, then I may consider an electric vehicle!!!

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just curious but do you ever have anything positive to say about middle class working people? Doesn’t seem so!
When unions/governmental units price their workers out of a job, who pays the price? Maybe think a little before running your mouth. I'm sure all the workers at every business the UAW and the Teamsters ran out of money were ecstatic at the outcome. All the fast-food workers wondering why they lost their job to a robot. The number 1 thing Ford, GM and Stellantis are thinking about now is how do we reduce headcount and/or replace that headcount with automation.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
When unions/governmental units price their workers out of a job, who pays the price? Maybe think a little before running your mouth. I'm sure all the workers at every business the UAW and the Teamsters ran out of money were ecstatic at the outcome. All the fast-food workers wondering why they lost their job to a robot. The number 1 thing Ford, GM and Stellantis are thinking about now is how do we reduce headcount and/or replace that headcount with automation.
Sorry, but I’ll run my mouth as you say if I want!
Fast food workers are half the reason for the current inflation and were replaced by robots because of the fucking push for minimum $15/hr for McDonald’s jobs!
They have already replaced all they can with current tech with robots because believe me if they could do it they would! They’ve take robots out of the process because they don’t always work for every situation. You don’t like my opinion at this point I don’t give a damn!!

We negotiated our contract just like every worker or leader short of a basic job! Our labor cost in auto is a fraction on the pricing!!! Look it up!

I’m so Fucking tired of people trying to tell me what my work and knowledge are worth!!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The problem is most people are short sighted. Don't have the money put it on credit no worry if I can't pay that bill next month.

Ask for more money at work because inflation is out of control. Nevermid more money in the economy will further push inflation.
Agreed...then they wonder why were payin $9.00 for a big mac

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sorry, but I’ll run my mouth as you say if I want!
Fast food workers are half the reason for the current inflation and were replaced by robots because of the fucking push for minimum $15/hr for McDonald’s jobs!
They have already replaced all they can with current tech with robots because believe me if they could do it they would! They’ve take robots out of the process because they don’t always work for every situation. You don’t like my opinion at this point I don’t give a damn!!

We negotiated our contract just like every worker or leader short of a basic job! Our labor cost in auto is a fraction on the pricing!!! Look it up!

I’m so Fucking tired of people trying to tell me what my work and knowledge are worth!!
The invisible hand doesn't give 2 shits about what you think your worth. The legacy 3 will now react to the higher wages in predictable fashion: outsource, like VW just did with its EV software people, reduce headcount and introduce more automation because the break even on that has been raised. The ONLY reason I point this out is because it would be fucking nice if the unions didn't run the legacy 3 out of business like the HUNDREDS of other extinct previously unionized companies.

In regards to fast food, in CA especially, the breakeven has been drastically raised on robots. I would also bet that most will reclose their dining rooms to further reduce headcount.