Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sunroof Maintenance

Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Does anyone know if Dodge recommends any type of sunroof maintenance? I am having no issues, but would like to know what Dodge says about upkeep. If not, does anyone have the best way to maintain the sunroof, like lubrication. Thank as always.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
If it's kept outside then I would have the drains blown out. Good to clean + lube the rails once in a while too just to prevent binding down the road.

OP
bc_hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Thread Starter #3
If it's kept outside then I would have the drains blown out. Good to clean + lube the rails once in a while too just to prevent binding down the road.

Thanks..Its garaged and rarely driven, but I do place it in "vent" mode much of when I am driving so I figured that may leave opportunities for debris to get in the tracks.....You think WD40 will work after a good cleaning?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The sunroof in our '06 Durango tends to get a "screeeeeeech" to it every now and then. I tried hitting it with a spray lithium grease to fix it, but it did little. To be honest, I didn't get too carried away when I sprayed it because I didn't want lithium everywhere, but it's getting to the point where it needs some more love.

The drain thing that @Slowpoke387 mentioned is a thing too! We can't run that Durango through the carwash without a bit of water coming down into the cab...

OP
bc_hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Thread Starter #5
The sunroof in our '06 Durango tends to get a "screeeeeeech" to it every now and then. I tried hitting it with a spray lithium grease to fix it, but it did little. To be honest, I didn't get too carried away when I sprayed it because I didn't want lithium everywhere, but it's getting to the point where it needs some more love.

The drain thing that @Slowpoke387 mentioned is a thing too! We can't run that Durango through the carwash without a bit of water coming down into the cab...

Ok. I will check it out and see. No issues now at all, I just like to think ahead. I appreciate the information.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Straight from Pat Goss:

Clean It Regularly
Regular cleaning of your sunroof is the most effective way to keep it functional. Every time you clean your car, give your sunroof some TLC with these steps:

• Open the sunroof and clean the entire visible area, using a vacuum if necessary.
  • Wipe down all moving parts and the gasket around the roof with a soft cloth, automotive cleaner and toothbrush. Clean the slides and tracks.
  • Use a small amount of lightweight, heat-resistant grease (such as white lithium) to lubricate all moving parts.
  • For the glass, consider a cleaner that does not contain ammonia or vinegar. (These chemicals can vaporize in warm weather and cause irritation if inhaled.)
Detail It Annually
Once a year, it’s a good idea to do a deeper detail on your sunroof. (If you live in a dusty climate or drive on dirt roads, you may want to make this a monthly practice.)

First, clean the sunroof as you normally would. Then clear the sunroof trough (just inside the rubber seal) by blowing low-pressure air (no more than 10 psi!) through the drain tubes (at the base of the sunroof seal). Finish the process by inserting a skinny, flexible, non-puncturing wire into a drain tube, twisting the wire clockwise and then counterclockwise while gently pushing it deeper into the tube. Make sure to check the length of your drain tubes; the far ends, usually located under the car near the wheels, can be tempting places for insects to build nests that can block the drains and cause leaks.

Then close the sunroof and pour water over the glass. If it leaks into the passenger compartment, look for cracks or jagged edges along the sunroof seal, and scan the area around the seal for any excessive water pooling or mold. Still leaking? Consider taking your car to a pro for a repair.

Let It Move Freely
If your roof is sticking or seems to be slow, inspect the moving parts (if they are visible) for cracked or stripped gears, or a buildup of dirt and debris. Turn on your car engine and cycle the roof through the open, closed and vent positions to identify the area where the problem occurs. If it runs more smoothly after a couple of cycles, clean everything and then lightly and carefully apply a lightweight, heat-resistant grease to any visible moving parts. If it’s still stuck, says Goss, it could be a malfunction of the circuitry that powers most new sunroofs. Take your car to a qualified sunroof repair shop.

Listen For Common Issues
Popping and scraping noises are generally not good sounds for cars to make; in a sunroof they may indicate parts that need lubricating, slipping gears, or some other mechanical issue. If you notice any of these noises, clean your sunroof and lubricate any visible components. If you’re still hearing them, close the sunroof and take it to a pro for repair. Some drivers have reported hearing popping noises right before their sunroofs shatter; if you hear those sounds, take your car to a qualified repair shop.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks..Its garaged and rarely driven, but I do place it in "vent" mode much of when I am driving so I figured that may leave opportunities for debris to get in the tracks.....You think WD40 will work after a good cleaning?
You should be fine if it's a garage queen like mine lol. I do the same thing with the vent. Four years now and no debris or even lithium yet. Zero issues, has always been fine. Outdoor kept vehicle with a power roof can give you fits though. If I werent trading it in next week I would prob wipe it down and hit with a coat of lithium right about now. WD-40 is ok but will wash away fairly easily. Like @BULL mentioned, a light coat lithium would be the way to go. Sticks better when wet.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
You should be fine if it's a garage queen like mine lol. I do the same thing with the vent. Four years now and no debris or even lithium yet. Zero issues, has always been fine. Outdoor kept vehicle with a power roof can give you fits though. If I werent trading it in next week I would prob wipe it down and hit with a coat of lithium right about now. WD-40 is ok but will wash away fairly easily. Like @BULL mentioned, a light coat lithium would be the way to go. Sticks better when wet.
Whaaaat?!? Trading your car in...on what? That new Kia you've been raving about ?? [headslap]

-I already know....bad pun...

OP
bc_hellcat
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plant City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger
Thread Starter #9
Great...thank you sir. I appreciate the advice. A little lithium it is.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whaaaat?!? Trading your car in...on what? That new Kia you've been raving about ?? [headslap]

-I already know....bad pun...
Ordered a RE WB, FCA says on or before 7/23 [driving][raceflag]

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Straight from Pat Goss:

Clean It Regularly
Regular cleaning of your sunroof is the most effective way to keep it functional. Every time you clean your car, give your sunroof some TLC with these steps:

• Open the sunroof and clean the entire visible area, using a vacuum if necessary.
  • Wipe down all moving parts and the gasket around the roof with a soft cloth, automotive cleaner and toothbrush. Clean the slides and tracks.
  • Use a small amount of lightweight, heat-resistant grease (such as white lithium) to lubricate all moving parts.
  • For the glass, consider a cleaner that does not contain ammonia or vinegar. (These chemicals can vaporize in warm weather and cause irritation if inhaled.)
Detail It Annually
Once a year, it’s a good idea to do a deeper detail on your sunroof. (If you live in a dusty climate or drive on dirt roads, you may want to make this a monthly practice.)

First, clean the sunroof as you normally would. Then clear the sunroof trough (just inside the rubber seal) by blowing low-pressure air (no more than 10 psi!) through the drain tubes (at the base of the sunroof seal). Finish the process by inserting a skinny, flexible, non-puncturing wire into a drain tube, twisting the wire clockwise and then counterclockwise while gently pushing it deeper into the tube. Make sure to check the length of your drain tubes; the far ends, usually located under the car near the wheels, can be tempting places for insects to build nests that can block the drains and cause leaks.

Then close the sunroof and pour water over the glass. If it leaks into the passenger compartment, look for cracks or jagged edges along the sunroof seal, and scan the area around the seal for any excessive water pooling or mold. Still leaking? Consider taking your car to a pro for a repair.

Let It Move Freely
If your roof is sticking or seems to be slow, inspect the moving parts (if they are visible) for cracked or stripped gears, or a buildup of dirt and debris. Turn on your car engine and cycle the roof through the open, closed and vent positions to identify the area where the problem occurs. If it runs more smoothly after a couple of cycles, clean everything and then lightly and carefully apply a lightweight, heat-resistant grease to any visible moving parts. If it’s still stuck, says Goss, it could be a malfunction of the circuitry that powers most new sunroofs. Take your car to a qualified sunroof repair shop.

Listen For Common Issues
Popping and scraping noises are generally not good sounds for cars to make; in a sunroof they may indicate parts that need lubricating, slipping gears, or some other mechanical issue. If you notice any of these noises, clean your sunroof and lubricate any visible components. If you’re still hearing them, close the sunroof and take it to a pro for repair. Some drivers have reported hearing popping noises right before their sunroofs shatter; if you hear those sounds, take your car to a qualified repair shop.
Glad I didnt spend the extra money on one of those...

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Not happy the car I got showed up with one. Why would you put a hole in a perfectly good roof??
The seal around the glass was coming off and FCA replaced the whole glass piece.
Been good ever since but I rarely open it.
Lowers the headliner 2 inches or so and that matters when you wear a helmet.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have one on my truck...never opened it....my wife on the other hand always uses it...if she uses my truck..she always leaves it open..freaks me out when i get in..i forget its there

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Nothing like an early morning canyon cruise with the windows and sunroof down before work.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Nothing like an early morning canyon cruise with the windows and sunroof down before work.
Or a nice dusk cruise with the roof open after the hot sun has started to set. Just awesome.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ve never opened mine. Don’t even know if it works. Don’t want to take the chance 😂