Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tapp performance stage 1 capability

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #41
What does it mean when I have "wideband"?
Narrowband can only read a rich or lean condition. Hellcat has wide bands.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Narrowband can only read a rich or lean condition. Hellcat has wide bands.
How about "difference in stoich" when referring to e85 and regular fuel?

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #43
How about "difference in stoich" when referring to e85 and regular fuel?
A narrow band is not capable of that. A wideband is. I’d wrote you a little higher write up but my laptop died as soon as you asked the question 😂 just checking in on the phone right now.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
A narrow band is not capable of that. A wideband is. I’d wrote you a little higher write up but my laptop died as soon as you asked the question 😂 just checking in on the phone right now.
Evidently the sensor has a difficult time determining the different chemical reactions of the 2 fuels all the time which results in errors???

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I've played with the flex fuel tuning for awhile . I use it when transiting from pump gas to ethonal and back . No matter how long I spend fine tuning it is never accurate and inconsistent. I don't trust it ti race on . I have dedicated gasoline and ethonal tunes .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
E85 or flex fuel? The flex fuel fan issue lives with hp tuners I have had a ticket open with them for years. If he has his computer flashed to an OS ending with AG it should fix the problem but he would need a retune. I believe OST dyno will flash any version if you send it to them. That is if it is an 18
It was on the flex tune and it was so annoying he went to an e85 tune, which meant buying drums of Ignite, lol.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Everyone has a different idea or what is easiest for them to use. For me E85 is all around me and way cheaper then race gas. I will get similar performance as ms109. Cost difference will be $2.25 to $15.00 a gallon and I can run e85 every day so race tune all the time:)
As I've dialed in my race tune on E85 I'm surpassing what 109 octane race gas could handle. I run known good E85 when racing. The rest of the time I run the flex fuel setup and don't worry about it. I wouldn't recommend racing on a flex fuel setup, although technically I guess you could if you knew you had E85 in the tank and the car knew it too LOL. I make several other changes for the track that I don't need on the street so I run a dedicated race tune.

@jonx96 I'd be more worried about too much power for the motor than running out of fuel system. Rule of thumb is the stock Hellcat motor gets less reliable above 850RWHP. Rods are the weak point.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
As I've dialed in my race tune on E85 I'm surpassing what 109 octane race gas could handle. I run known good E85 when racing. The rest of the time I run the flex fuel setup and don't worry about it.

@jonx96 I'd be more worried about too much power for the motor than running out of fuel system. Rule of thumb is the stock Hellcat motor gets less reliable above 850RWHP. Rods are the weak point.
you can push rods pretty good as long as there is no knock, that kill shit

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #49
you can push rods pretty good as long as there is no knock, that kill shit
I'll remember this when you tell me you don't want to rev your car to 6500 rpms ;)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'll remember this when you tell me you don't want to rev your car to 6500 rpms ;)
I already said 6400 is good:cool:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wus :LOL:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
less rpm more boost:p

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
I'm just shy of 900whp running the tapped 1.5 on e70

I tried the flex patch on my car, but don't trust it. With the same fuel in my car I logged 9.5% alcohol, just driving back and forth from work to home it would start to rise. After about 30 miles it climbed to 26% Filled up with it running and was reading 10% two days later it was showing 33%. Fortunately for me I have a station that sells e85 right around the corner from my house and it always test between 67-73% so I just tuned for e70

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If it's moving around like that something's off in the calibration (or your model year doesn't like it which happens). It took me a LONG time to dial mine in but I'm an amature. Mine's within 2% on E85. It's not quite as accurate on mixes below 50%. At 50% or less it's within +/- 10% so still close enough to not matter. On 93 it's within 5%. I don't race on it, but it's great for a daily setup.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Mine will sometimes drift a little bit closer to 15% error than 5% but it's almost always usually within that ballpark.

My current remote tune is locked and I understand why. Could I always get it more accurate by fine-tuning on the street? Absolutely. Speedy did it and countless others have too. I don't necessarily have the knowledge and experience though and at some point you have to trust your tuner. Curt is good. Damn good. He's also got a shop and a dyno back again so I'm sure he'll be working on things to further refine it as flex is still very popular...and very picky sometimes.

I'm just shy of 900whp running the tapped 1.5 on e70

I tried the flex patch on my car, but don't trust it. With the same fuel in my car I logged 9.5% alcohol, just driving back and forth from work to home it would start to rise. After about 30 miles it climbed to 26% Filled up with it running and was reading 10% two days later it was showing 33%. Fortunately for me I have a station that sells e85 right around the corner from my house and it always test between 67-73% so I just tuned for e70
Those low pulse width/idle/part throttle areas are tricky with the big injectors we require. Some injectors are very accurate down low and others can't hold up...even from the same company. A bunch of my drift issue seems to come from 2 or 3 cells specifically (1ms or lower) but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate resolution short of swapping them out. I Don't think rescaling that table on the lower half will help much...it's just such a small delivery window to begin with.

There are other changes that can be made and although I used to have a list I seem to recall that a few tables were labeled differently in my calibration compared to others which made it hard to cross reference. Couple that with the fact that I couldn't really afford to lose the motor at the time I put everything on the back burner and let a trusted tuner do his thing.

I'm much happier and stress free now. Curt also does listen to my feedback if anything creeps up so I'm cool. Like with the part throttle tip in issue. Required 2 small changes. Done. Life is good.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #56
Some people have better luck with canned tunes than others :whistle:
It's why I tell everyone to at least understand basic datalogging.
@fubar569 it sounds like you have the understanding of datalogging down so that is great news!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If you're not going to put in the time to understand how to data log, leave the car bone stock from a tuning perspective at least. That's my advice. I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten of someone complaining about a tuner, asking me what's wrong, and when I ask them for a data log they say they don't know how. I tell them the problem isn't with their tuner :)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If you're not going to put in the time to understand how to data log, leave the car bone stock from a tuning perspective at least. That's my advice. I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten of someone complaining about a tuner, asking me what's wrong, and when I ask them for a data log they say they don't know how. I tell them the problem isn't with their tuner :)
Don't always blame it on the car owner. I had my car tuned and I wanted to get some data. The tuner kept sending me emails of corrupt files and come to find out the files were on the HP Tuners website. I was still missing something and after 3 months I received the Hellcat table.
They also sold me tuner credits which I could never find.
I found a different tuner who got my situation straightened out.
This tuner is a pretty big name in the Hellcat community.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The point was to leave the car a lone if you don't want to spend time learning about data logging. It's modding 101. Credits aren't found, they're tied to your HPT device. HPT is a bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out it's a great platform.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #60
Don't always blame it on the car owner. I had my car tuned and I wanted to get some data. The tuner kept sending me emails of corrupt files and come to find out the files were on the HP Tuners website. I was still missing something and after 3 months I received the Hellcat table.
They also sold me tuner credits which I could never find.
I found a different tuner who got my situation straightened out.
This tuner is a pretty big name in the Hellcat community.
I had my share of issues with a tuner. It is why I went on my own and started doing my own thing.
The reason I say to at least learn to datalog is to keep your own car in check. For example weather changes things. Also during the initial tuning process to be able to catch things. For example I had a 6 degrees of short term knock retard through a hole entire pull. When I asked about it I was told it was normal because my knock sensors weren't desensitized. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! I called it quits after that. If it was someone who didn't understand nothing would have ever been done about it.
I will say tunes are more money for these cars than about any other platform. For a thousand dollar tune a tuner should at least provide a how to video of how to datalog and write a tune.
I don't know the situation with the credits but if you provide your tuner with your hp tuners information they should automatically show up in your account and then you have to sync them to editor. I am guessing the credits weren't synced to editor and he should have told you that.