Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Testing a JLT intake on a stock Hellcat

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Stock air filter flows better then a K&N. More surface area
Maybe so, but a factory filter won't let gravel and small animals pass through it.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I already looked through Green I don't like the solid cap. 2382 is close
Afe..
20210615_190146.jpg

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #64
Today I will explore it

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Today I will explore it
For some reason AFE will not let me build a filter. It gives some ridiculous price. Must be lack of employees due to government handouts..

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Any chance you can give some comparative IAT’s? Not that I’m asking for a datalog; maybe a pre and post race IAT note for both setups?

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #67
Any chance you can give some comparative IAT’s? Not that I’m asking for a datalog; maybe a pre and post race IAT note for both setups?
Jon and I will both be testing it. Best way is going to be with a datalog. I could find most of that info on the street, I don't think it moves a lot unless the car is idling for a bit

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Don't worry about anything else in this log but the iat this is a still work in progress flex fuel tune. But this was a 2 mile drive. You can see temps at idle at the beginning pretty warm as I was sitting there idling looking a few things over. Then I easily drive down the road. Only about a 2 mile drive and then I sit in my driveway for a few. I need to add a timer to this because I don't remember how long it was but it wasn't to long. This is with the lid off. It was about 80 out at this point. I'll have to look for old logs with the stock box on. I know I have similar logs.
From what I noticed stopped is warmer but moving it cools down faster. I'm going to be curious how it does through the staging lanes. I don't want to push the car but I also don't want them at 130 by the time I take off.

Attachments

Last edited:

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thanks for commenting. I can't DL the file, since I don't have anything that'll open an .hpl.

Was thinking the same thing, idling around, are you going to get a spike in temp, then timing be pulled before it even has a chance to cool off? Even stop light to stop light kind of deal. Don't know much about tuning on these cars, but how quick does the ECU adjust timing?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thanks for commenting. I can't DL the file, since I don't have anything that'll open an .hpl.

Was thinking the same thing, idling around, are you going to get a spike in temp, then timing be pulled before it even has a chance to cool off? Even stop light to stop light kind of deal. Don't know much about tuning on these cars, but how quick does the ECU adjust timing?
Here this will download the vcm scanner which is used for datalogging. If you plan on modding your car I recommend you get somewhat fimilar with it
https://files.hptuners.com/VCM Suite/VCM Suite.msi
But there is a gauge That says IAT you can watch that. Also if you look at the bottom there is a sliding bar with a redline. The higher the redline the more rpm. Where it is flat and low that is where I am idling.
As far as pulling timing stock it goes off of MAT (manifold air temperature) I believe default stock it can pull 10 degrees or so of timing if hot enough.