Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Electric Revolution is truly here and what does it do to the ICE AGE?

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Autonomous cars @ the track...nothing more than a grown up video game...no thanks...I'll still be on the deserted backroads..far from the crowd...giglin and smilin ear to ear...
I am with you 71 Demon. I would see Ya on that back mexico road grinning ear to ear. Even if I ever do get a Electric all wheel drive that could push your eye balls into the front of ya brain, I will still own a piece of American dinosaur DNA burning Blown Injected rolling nostalgia.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Change the thread name to The Political Electric Revolution.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’ll be a believer when city and highway snowplows are EV. (Probably not anytime soon)

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
BTW, that's JUST for the USA, not for the planet, and apparently 468GW is $1,400,000,000,000.00

Anybody know where that would come from?
Not to mention the distribution system to get the power to end user consumer. The infrastructure is already stained in many area of the US to begin with. It has major ricochet effects if a large sector of energy is shifted dramatically and to fast. Energy is at 6.2 %. Of GDP. Just as an example I remember about 12 years ago assisting in Fogging manholes with vaporized liquid nitrogen spray bars fed down into tunnels to lower underground electric lines by thermal drafting one end of the street opened manhole and other end opened. It did work the cables were shot with thermal imaging and IR From above. The old strained conductors and a transformer station overheated and exploded. This transformer was in a large building many times the size of a house. It was very hot sustained heat wave electric demand was high along with ambient air around all electrical infrastructure it made for a electric demand that was not able to be met. I saw many many 40’And 60’ catipillar trailer gen sets of multiple Megawatt plus scatered around the city. Many oil delivery trucks scattered about ready to top off as the onboard tanks were consumed. That left an indelible impression of power production and distribution network failure that won’t fade quickly for me. So it is my belief that energy load can’t be shifted to quickly if the infrastructure can’t support it. And if you were able to shift it fast it could have a economic effect. Just my .02

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
So this thing would eat a lot of juice. If you had solar though...ok so looks like the battery pack is likely a bit more than 200kWh.
Daily driving this beast maybe I use the equivalent of two full charges a week, 400kWh, so in a month 1600kWh. Plus summer time other home electrical use, say 800kWh a month. In total I need 2400kWh a month.
So per https://www.gogreensolar.com/pages/how-many-solar-panels-do-i-need I need 74 to 80 panels on my roof...damn, not going to fit.
I'll probably be gone during the day when the panels are making power so I'll have to buy how many Tesla power walls?

Oh hell, this is going to cost a fortune...and I need a bigger house...screw it I'll just get a TRX.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
So this thing would eat a lot of juice. If you had solar though...ok so looks like the battery pack is likely a bit more than 200kWh.
Daily driving this beast maybe I use the equivalent of two full charges a week, 400kWh, so in a month 1600kWh. Plus summer time other home electrical use, say 800kWh a month. In total I need 2400kWh a month.
So per https://www.gogreensolar.com/pages/how-many-solar-panels-do-i-need I need 74 to 80 panels on my roof...damn, not going to fit.
I'll probably be gone during the day when the panels are making power so I'll have to buy how many Tesla power walls?

Oh hell, this is going to cost a fortune...and I need a bigger house...screw it I'll just get a TRX.
‘Elementary Watson. Found a problem, found a fix. Good on you !

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Apparently a typical power plant is 500MW, so that's 780 new plants (give or take)

Each state gets, on average, 16 new plants.

A state like California probably gets a lion's share of that number, while less populated states get only a few???

Let's see a state like California approve something like 50 new plants...

@DGatzby, correct any or all of this nonsense I've posted.
Your good. A few 400MW things being thrown around now. Some plans for up to 800+/- at one place.

But the multiples in states? Ha, I have not seen ONE become feasible in the whole land yet!! But, we are working hard.;)

50 ea 500 MW plants in CA. :giggle: < I don’t have enough of those to let you know how hard I am laughing.

Now take those numbers and put some cash on them. Say one of those shiny new 500 Mw plants? Got a spare 1.5-2 billion on ya?

Okay, let’s go green! Some of us are in, you will need to cover the earth in solar cells and wind mills.

Hey California how is it really going?

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=38912

^^^

I found one reference that says we need 468 GW (Yes, Gigawatts) more capacity for us to convert to EV.

@DGatzby, how many plants is 468GW?
1-2 GW plants are giant. We are not going to find 468 more GW in our lifetimes. Not happening.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
BTW, that's JUST for the USA, not for the planet, and apparently 468GW is $1,400,000,000,000.00

I would have to get a calc, but it don’t seem like enough zeros.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I would have to get a calc, but it don’t seem like enough zeros.

It's a quote (estimate) from a site I found on the web. I have no idea how credible it is or isn't

It's a :poop: ton regardless...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It's a quote (estimate) from a site I found on the web. I have no idea how credible it is or isn't

It's a :poop: ton regardless...
I’ll help with my web quote. Had to get up and grab some help. 438Gw will be about 1.6425 to the 12th power. I agree, that is a pretty good guess Sir.

Building them all in 2020 $$$ now;)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ll help with my web quote. Had to get up and grab some help. 438Gw will be about 1.6425 to the 12th power. I agree, that is a pretty good guess Sir.

Building them all in 2020 $$$ now;)

And as mentioned above, that's JUST the plants, not the grid to support them, correct?

And I can't help but think that the SAME people that want to convert to EVehicles, will shit bricks when we start to build 800ish powerplants. If not them, then their cousins the Environmentalists...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
And as mentioned above, that's JUST the plants, not the grid to support them, correct?

And I can't help but think that the SAME people that want to convert to EVehicles, will shit bricks when we start to build 800ish powerplants. If not them, then their cousins the Environmentalists...
Oh the end to many plant dreams are precisely problems with the “offtakers” or access to the existing grid. The cost of the lines AND substations are goofy.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Autonomous cars @ the track...nothing more than a grown up video game...no thanks...I'll still be on the deserted backroads..far from the crowd...giglin and smilin ear to ear...
I'll be right there with ya M6 and all:LOL:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Biden and his son will just get it from their friends overseas...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Biden and his son will just get it from their friends overseas...
That is the big trillion dollar mark!

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #37
OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
It's real, a company in Indiana is also making EV vehicles designed for delivery. I have heard they are going to be a 1 ton chassis outfitted to run 70mph and have around 350 mi range. This is a new startup, not at liberty to divulge details, but it will be a market changer for local deliveries....