Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tire questions - DR vs. PS4S et. all.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I have the stock Pirelli's up front and 315 NT05's rear. I've heard the M/T's have slightly better traction but much more sidewall weakness so they sway and roll noticeably in turns and uneven roads so I went with the NT0'5s. I run them at 25lbs cold and honestly don't even know they're there there on highway ramps and sweepers. Maybe it's the RE's stiffer springs and bigger swaybars, but there is no noticing it. I'll prob try the NT555R11's next.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #22
I concur; I reported that increased sidewall softness when comparing the 555R to the ET Street SS.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
There’s no lack or loss of grip in corners with the 555r2 that I’ve noticed.. and I’ve ripped some sweepers near triple digit speeds.. out in the boonies
I concur; I reported that increased sidewall softness when comparing the 555R to the ET Street SS.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Ps4s is fine if you're stock or near stock. They're comical if you're modded. I had them on right after my mods and would spin in every gear under 5th. And I'm not talking spin a little in 4th from a 70 roll, I'm talking spin until you let out. Mickey thompson (maybe the hoosiers but haven't tried them) are the only thing that I've had that will hook this power.

I tested out the ps4s on my 4hr drive home and immediately switched to my 18" NTO5R and those were better as I could actually hook 4th. Then switched to MT R and never looked back.
agree, when I was data logging for the tuner it was stupid scary with stock tires ,had to put M/Ts on or go update my will :(

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Gave up on DR’s after I discovered the PS4S.

WHY?
1. Lasts EXPONENTIALLY longer
2. Has EQUAL OR BETTER acceleration performance on the street
3. Will work in the rain
4. Can be confident they will not fold in a corner.
5. They ride smooth and quiet ALWAYS

Cost? Who gives a rip? What did you pay for your car? How much are those DR’s cost per mile when they last for 1000 miles and not 10,000 miles?

You guys are correct above, I have three sets of wheels and tires in my garage. 1- Street (PS4S), 2 - Track (BIG Cup 2’s), 3 spare track/rain (Toyo R888R, will be replaced with the new OEM Pirelli tires still on my shelf after I can wear the Toyo’s out). The Widebody makes this tire stuff easy. I had a regular body and feel for all of you, because your choices are severely limited.
I bought mine at Costco and discussed the 30k warranty and they said "Just get em rotated and 30k!"
They hook better than my Nitto's.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I bought mine at Costco and discussed the 30k warranty and they said "Just get em rotated and 30k!"
They hook better than my Nitto's.
Nice.

I will add that yesterday I began to run the Cup 2’s on the car to verify an alignment thing or two, before returning to the track. This involves full throttle applications from say 50 to 150. Tough to do huh? Mexico is so far away damn it. Compared to the PS4S, I would NOT recommend it on the street anyway. The PS4S grips significantly better cold. The car spun the Cup 2’s at about 70 and below surprisingly easy. No way the PS4S does that with the exact same mode and front foot sequence. Same size too, FYI these are 345/30’s on 12” wide wheels. I may even begin to use a PS4S on the road courses also, the Cup 2, may be just a bit exotic for our big boats. I can’t make myself like them yet. @Magnified the Cup 2’s want to occasionally do that squirming under full throttle, I think:mad:. I just can’t get it to happen consistently, is the problem right now. I am somewhere between wondering and playing with pressures and temps before I go back to playing with the alignment, because we believe it is right on, plus the other tires are not having a problem.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #27
Roger that.... this tire finickiness is spoiling my like of the car (but only a little)

Just waiting for the PS4S to get here. And time to send the old out of round wheels out to be fixed.