Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

To install or not to install?

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Fuel tanks that siphon from 1 side of the tank, and have a crossover tube to the other side of the tank and pump need some restriction on the pump output to siphon from the opposite side.

If you do put in the external filter and want to drain the tank by disconnecting the fuel line at the filter and running the pump, you will empty the pump side of the tank. The opposite side will still hold fuel.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #82
I don't know these use a siphon. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that when I had it apart.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I just pull up both the fuel pump lid and the secondary fuel level assy and I have an electric pump that I can run a hose into the tank and pump all the fuel out works great , I do one side then the other side

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Looking at your pics in your fuel pump thread, the electric pump gets feed fuel from the other side of the tank, if this was a Nissan it would be called a jet pump. A 370z has the same style tank. Without the jet pump, the electric pump can only pull from the fuel volume above the pump, and on 1 side of the tank.

The tunnel shape on the bottom of the tank that the driveshaft passes through is higher than the bottom of the other side of the fuel tank.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #85
"If" the tank stays under seal I can see how drawing from one side would create a low pressure and allow a pull from the other (from left to right) but the tank didn't act like it had any vaccum in it when I opened it. There's definitely a transfer line from the left though, it just snaps in to a little plastic retainer and pours over the fuel pump. There's nothing that ties it into the draw of the pump itself to create that low pressure area.