Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

track vs sport mode

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
How about the M6???

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
How about the M6???
Your third leg determines the nuttyness... It's a manual,so honestly you are your own shift points.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That is very true,,, un lester than you have won. It is the factor of a win ning run. I have driven amany of the paddle snifsters and the M6 a total different critter. Good or bad. Have to be very careful with the ass end.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ll add to everyone’s intrigue. The ‘15 was cooled down, we warmed it up a bit, the DA this morning was less than 1000’, it was an outside dyno.

First pull - Default mide
Second - Sport Mode
Final and best pull, full Track Mode.

It got better and better. Maybe it was warming up more with each pull, but it was interesting. Nothing tells us the power changes with the mide settings, so I think it a coincidence. But it is fun figuring it all out.

One thing in all modes, if the tranny is in Track Mode the baffles are open. Can anyone share if the same happens with the tranny in Sport?

View attachment 52781
In sport mode the tables do not have the active exhaust always open.

1631018099451.png

As you can see in sport there is certain criteria to be had to have the baffles open at 100%. This is my stock tune, on my race tune all modes except Drive-By (dunno what this does) have been moved to 100% open 100% of the time.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Then for the most noise, Track Mode it is!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
What it sounds like.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In sport mode the tables do not have the active exhaust always open.

View attachment 53036

As you can see in sport there is certain criteria to be had to have the baffles open at 100%. This is my stock tune, on my race tune all modes except Drive-By (dunno what this does) have been moved to 100% open 100% of the time.
So what does the normal /street mode mapping look like - curious on how much more restrictive it is vs sport !

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
So what does the normal /street mode mapping look like - curious on how much more restrictive it is vs sport !
1631060516938.png

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Interesting, appears there is no diff but the documentation implies there is !

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The only differences I know of in sport vs track have to do with trans shifting. It's been a while since I dug through all of that, but in some situations sport shifted harder (up) at WOT and some situations it was track that shifted harder (up). As fumanchu pointed out there are also a bunch of shift pattern tables, so in my tune I have those "normalized" so they all match. When I choose a mode I want consistent results, not ones based on how hard I was on the throttle 15 minutes ago.

There are no throttle settings for the different modes that I've seen. If you know of them let me know where they are.

Later models with electric power steering likely have some changes, mine's mechanical.

The biggest difference I've seen between sport and track are abrupt and unsettlingly hard down shifts in TRACK. I believe SRT meant TRACK as road course, not necessarily drag strip, so the down shifts would be to scrub speed like entering a turn. Those abrupt downshifts bothered me, so I put my mojo in SPORT mode that doesn't have these abrupt down shifts. Mike and I talked about that some years ago and I was surprised by it.

The active exhaust, I'm not even sure what that does at least in a Challenger. They only have modes for "normal" and "sport" nothing for "track' and as far as I can tell the values line up, or at least so close as to not make any difference. I "think" Charger is the same. At any rate as you can see from the tables above, it's 100% above 3,000 RPM anyway.

MDS stands for Multi Displacement System and isn't used on Hellcat.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The only differences I know of in sport vs track have to do with trans shifting. It's been a while since I dug through all of that, but in some situations sport shifted harder (up) at WOT and some situations it was track that shifted harder (up). As fumanchu pointed out there are also a bunch of shift pattern tables, so in my tune I have those "normalized" so they all match. When I choose a mode I want consistent results, not ones based on how hard I was on the throttle 15 minutes ago.

There are no throttle settings for the different modes that I've seen. If you know of them let me know where they are.

Later models with electric power steering likely have some changes, mine's mechanical.

The biggest difference I've seen between sport and track are abrupt and unsettlingly hard down shifts in TRACK. I believe SRT meant TRACK as road course, not necessarily drag strip, so the down shifts would be to scrub speed like entering a turn. Those abrupt downshifts bothered me, so I put my mojo in SPORT mode that doesn't have these abrupt down shifts. Mike and I talked about that some years ago and I was surprised by it.

The active exhaust, I'm not even sure what that does at least in a Challenger. They only have modes for "normal" and "sport" nothing for "track' and as far as I can tell the values line up, or at least so close as to not make any difference. I "think" Charger is the same. At any rate as you can see from the tables above, it's 100% above 3,000 RPM anyway.

MDS stands for Multi Displacement System and isn't used on Hellcat.
You nailed it with the Track Mode (transmission) downshifts. Makes a big difference to me on a road course. Ha, as long as you don’t dare to let off at the strip, it certainly won’t start downshifting. If you don’t have a tune.

I tried once or twice to switch to Sport on a road course so I could play with drifting it. Hated and missed the downshifts from Track tranny mode so much very quickly, I went to Custom to retain the Track tranny performance! Drifted a couple of times and then remembered how much those rears cost. You are all correct, not much practice happened then:ROFLMAO:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thanks,,,, back to the garage and test drive at 7 30. Good info. Rain rain stay the hell away fer once.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You nailed it with the Track Mode (transmission) downshifts. Makes a big difference to me on a road course. Ha, as long as you don’t dare to let off at the strip, it certainly won’t start downshifting. If you don’t have a tune.
Mine got a bit hairy a couple times when I chopped the throttle at the end of the 1/4 mile in TRACK with the harsh downshifts. Thus my choice to use SPORT from then on out at the drag strip. Well, technically custom with trans in sport but you know what I mean LOL.

Now think about the guy with the fixed upper supercharger pulley, using TRACK at the drag strip....lots of stress on things at that point.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
So I guess I missed something while reading this, Sport mode does not open the active exhaust flaps fully. Does Track mode open them fully?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
From what I'm seeing, all modes open exhaust valves fully above 3000 RPM and above a specific torque value of 334.6.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
That's why they call it active exhaust, instead of operator choice. LOL

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So I guess I missed something while reading this, Sport mode does not open the active exhaust flaps fully. Does Track mode open them fully?
Track mode forces them open 100% of the time (see fumanchu182's charts above).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Where are they 100% in track, I'm missing seeing that.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Post #44, top left of the chart under Active Exhaust ( Track Position = 100%)

+

From the MasterTech reference book p. 10:
"The Sport setting is more aggressive, and the Track mode locks the valves wide open, which is a place where the Hellcat is very comfortable (Figure 30)."

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Post #44, top left of the chart under Active Exhaust ( Track Position = 100%)

+

From the MasterTech reference book p. 10:
"The Sport setting is more aggressive, and the Track mode locks the valves wide open, which is a place where the Hellcat is very comfortable (Figure 30)."
Thanks! I completely missed that. So now I'm wondering what happens in a custom mode?