Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trackhawk is dead no more better grab one while you can

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I looked at them for a while, thinking I would trade the Durango R/T & Hellcat for just 1 vehicle that did both (more or less).
In the end, it was just too pricey. Close to $100k MSRP if you wanted the leather (mandatory for me) and even when the deep discounts started I couldn't get an 'even up' trade.
There was just no way I was going to dump both my vehicles + pony up another $10k+ for a TH.

Given the SRT Durango starts @ $65k, I'll bet the Hellcat version will be at least $80k + options. It will likely suffer the same fate as the TH - just not enough interest at that price point.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
I truly feel Dodge has over built the HC motor expectancy and is now being forced to put these motors in vehicles to meet their build costs. And I’ll say it for the hundredth time why the hell don’t they put the HC Motor in a Ram 1500? And a street version at that....????[bash]

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
And hate to say it, but the Durango version is probably going to sell even less first model sale vs the TH because the “wow” of a 700hp awd suv has faded already.

Don’t think the addition of some size is enough to compel people to the dealerships these days

Another reason why the RE/Demon engine would make more sense if they kept the price in check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I looked at them for a while, thinking I would trade the Durango R/T & Hellcat for just 1 vehicle that did both (more or less).
In the end, it was just too pricey. Close to $100k MSRP if you wanted the leather (mandatory for me) and even when the deep discounts started I couldn't get an 'even up' trade.
There was just no way I was going to dump both my vehicles + pony up another $10k+ for a TH.

Given the SRT Durango starts @ $65k, I'll bet the Hellcat version will be at least $80k + options. It will likely suffer the same fate as the TH - just not enough interest at that price point.
I just cant justify either offering...my daily driver is a pickup..(cant get away from that..) got HC Demon and Vipers for fun vehicles..even at 75k (which is unthinkable)..it has no place for me..it would just sit...

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I think I've only seen one TH in my area. One would think there would be a lot more in the northern states that have a lot of snow and longer winters in general, but that's not the case. Pricing was too high to begin with along with it looking like any other GC out there.

Sadly, FCA is doing similar now to the Challenger Hellcats out there. They are all starting to look the same. There's quite a few R/T Scat Packs out right now in my area that look identical to a Hellcat.....hood, wide body etc. If you don't happen to see the emblems on the fenders you'd never know the difference.
It's different though making lower priced models look like higher priced models, it helps sell the lower priced models. The Trackhawk is the high priced model and they made it look not all that different than a lower priced model which is baffling.

Last edited:

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Durango 6.2 is going to draw the same complaints the TH had ... over priced, underwhelming performer and slow seller.

And from what I have read, the new platform replacing the current model is actually larger, so don’t rule out the possibility of a new V8 model just yet.

It’s defiantly going to be designed around hybrid powertrains, but it’ll easily accommodate a V8.

I have an Explorer Sport and the lease is up next year. I would love to replace it with a Hellcat Durango, but they are going to be stupid expensive. I wish FCA would offer competitive lease deals on these things. I'm not interested in dumping 90k into one, but would definitely lease one for three years at a reasonable price.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Trackhawk is like the Typhoon of the 90's... fastest production SUV of their time with short runs but a ton of fun to drive!

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I’ve been in a Trackhawk once and the launch was insane, violent, and a giggle fest. I’ve never been in something that fast off the line.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
So if one can get a new Redeye for 55-59K why should a Trackhawk or new TrackDurango(?) run 90K? Perhaps FCA gets this and we see dramatic reductions in price for remaining Trackhawks and new DurangHawks(?)?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The Durango makes more sense for someone like me, who already has a 3 row suv, and this could be a good replacement. 7200lbs towing is a plus, which I’m sure it’ll have. Could be a great offering if they don’t bust my balls when it comes time to sign the paperwork.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
The Durango makes more sense for someone like me, who already has a 3 row suv, and this could be a good replacement. 7200lbs towing is a plus, which I’m sure it’ll have. Could be a great offering if they don’t bust my balls when it comes time to sign the paperwork.
The current DSRT has a towing capacity at 8700lbs, so I wonder if that will come down to the TH 7200lbs rating when in HC form.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Its gonna take a lot more than a big engine in a Durango to make it sell. At the price point FCA will be putting them in, it'll be competing with Benz', Porches, etc.

Maybe it'll be a one year run...

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
So how/why can dodge sell a 55-59K Challenger with Demon engine but cant price a 707 HP detuned demon motor in a 60-65K Durango?

I agree...90K will be a FAIL...esp if they really don't badge the hell out of this one...

dont u think they learned their lesson form TH?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Sorry to say fellers, but all Hellcat powered vehicles are simply old news now. Dodge is still trying to ride the publicity wave of 2015. If Dodge wants Hellcat / Demon type publicity again, its going to take a 1,000 HP monster to get the world obsessed about Dodge again. It used to be, I could not stop for gas without someone wanting to talk about the car or take a picture. Cant tell you the last time anyone really took a second look at my car now. We were king for a good run, but sadly its winding down now. Our engine is going into everything FCA has to add a few sales, and now the near budget Challengers, look exactly like our Hellcats. Starting to think Dodge is a liberal car company because they have the "everyone gets a trophy (engine)" mentality.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Sorry to say fellers, but all Hellcat powered vehicles are simply old news now. Dodge is still trying to ride the publicity wave of 2015. If Dodge wants Hellcat / Demon type publicity again, its going to take a 1,000 HP monster to get the world obsessed about Dodge again. It used to be, I could not stop for gas without someone wanting to talk about the car or take a picture. Cant tell you the last time anyone really took a second look at my car now. We were king for a good run, but sadly its winding down now. Our engine is going into everything FCA has to add a few sales, and now the near budget Challengers, look exactly like our Hellcats. Starting to think Dodge is a liberal car company because they have the "everyone gets a trophy (engine)" mentality.
I don't know if you remember my post from the old forum. I said way back then Dodge should never put a Hellcat motor in a Jeep or anything else. It will ruin the legend and will backfire. Trackhawks....nobody wants them and they built so many Hellcats that it is just a regular car now.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
@45-70govt and @Markp
What's the downside to Hellcat'ing everything?
Who does it really negatively effect? Is anyone really upset because people don't want to talk about their 5 year old car now?

Think the shoebox guys were upset when Chevy decided to put a smallblock in everything? How about the Corvette guys when the LS1 ended up in the Camaro? And then the LS ended up in everything... guess what, the LS market got stronger! You guys realize that Dodge brought back the HEMI, and the only thing they offered it in was a pickup truck, right? I'm glad there weren't a bunch of guys asking to keep it that way back then.

Say FCA only put the HC motor into the Challenger and Charger, and did it for the next 10 years... think the badge on your car would be more meaningful? There are over 60,000 of them out there. A couple thousand Jeeps and Durangos aren't watering down the brand.

I'd like to think this opens up the market for aftermarket parts and support, but it also keeps the junkyards and auction lots full of Hellcat motors, transmissions, and transfercases for years to come.
I didn't buy the HC to impress the guys at the gas station with some limited production car... I did it to leave them behind me from a red light in a plume of smoke and amazing noises. If everyone on my block had one, I'd enjoy it even more, competition brings out the best in us.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Agree with Jack.

It’s also why I don’t mind the Trackhawk didn’t sell by the 10’s of thousand. I think I’ve seen 1 or 2 outside of car shows.

Heck, I don’t see all that many wk2 srt8’s either

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Its not that nobody wants a Trackhawk or Durango Hellcat

They dont want to spend 100k for one.
100k gets you a Demon
60k gets you a Redeye

Pricing has gone nuts on Hellcat powered cars.

I really was wanting the Hellcat TRX Ram. But that will be 100k. No thanks. Not for a 1500 truck with limited towing abilities

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Pricing isn’t really reflecting how common these vehicles are now. Dealers are still trying to sell low mileage 15s for mid 40s. Not a bad price for what you get except in the context of the heavy discounts on new ones.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
@45-70govt and @Markp

Say FCA only put the HC motor into the Challenger and Charger, and did it for the next 10 years... think the badge on your car would be more meaningful?
Yep.