Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trackhawk is dead no more better grab one while you can

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Pricing isn’t really reflecting how common these vehicles are now. Dealers are still trying to sell low mileage 15s for mid 40s. Not a bad price for what you get except in the context of the heavy discounts on new ones.
its why those mid 40K asks will becoming DOWN...and soon...

" except in the context of the heavy discounts on new ones."

its also why I dont see how FCA can ask 100K for a new DurangHawk. Not happening imo...

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Its not that nobody wants a Trackhawk or Durango Hellcat

They dont want to spend 100k for one.
100k gets you a Demon
60k gets you a Redeye

Pricing has gone nuts on Hellcat powered cars.

I really was wanting the Hellcat TRX Ram. But that will be 100k. No thanks. Not for a 1500 truck with limited towing abilities
I agree again, but also let’s not discount the fact that you can drive this 700hp truck as your DD without an issue, anywhere in the country.

Very few are doing that in a RE and no one is doing it with a demon.

This isn’t a car you shine, stare at when you drink beer with the buddies and show off on sunny sundays.
You drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I agree again, but also let’s not discount the fact that you can drive this 700hp truck as your DD without an issue, anywhere in the country.

Very few are doing that in a RE and no one is doing it with a demon.

It snowed several inches here by Chicago yesterday.
Today the roads are clear and with A/S tires could drive a Hellcat/Redeye just fine. Yesterday would have been a no-go
A former co-worker used to daily a scat pack all year round. It was his only car.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I do agree that more Hellcats will be good for after market parts and spares for years to come. For me I guess it was just cool to have the fastest, highest horsepower car a normal guy could afford for a short time. I dreamed of a new Challenger every since they came out in 2008, but there was no way I could afford one. When the Hellcat came out I felt I finally "made it" enough in life to buy not only my first brand new car, but the one that was on the cover of every magazine. I worked hard to get thru college and get a decent job so that I could spend $70K on a toy that I rarely drive. It was cool to have one of the very few cars in town that people were talking about. Now I see them all the time, even driven by what looks like high school aged kids. I still love my car, but guess I just miss the early days of having something that most guys didn't. Knowing I could smoke damn near any car on the road was an amazing feeling that is gone now. What guy does not want the rarest or fastest car in town? I kind of had it once, but now with everything having Hellcat power, and normal Challengers looking like Hellcats, its like I just drive the same Kia as everyone else. Still love my car, but just miss the hayday of her I guess. The other thing that bugs me is when you see them around town beat to hell and dirty as can be. Yep the Hellcat is just a normal car that is driven by the masses now.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I do agree that more Hellcats will be good for after market parts and spares for years to come. For me I guess it was just cool to have the fastest, highest horsepower car a normal guy could afford for a short time. I dreamed of a new Challenger every since they came out in 2008, but there was no way I could afford one. When the Hellcat came out I felt I finally "made it" enough in life to buy not only my first brand new car, but the one that was on the cover of every magazine. I worked hard to get thru college and get a decent job so that I could spend $70K on a toy that I rarely drive. It was cool to have one of the very few cars in town that people were talking about. Now I see them all the time, even driven by what looks like high school aged kids. I still love my car, but guess I just miss the early days of having something that most guys didn't. Knowing I could smoke damn near any car on the road was an amazing feeling that is gone now. What guy does not want the rarest or fastest car in town? I kind of had it once, but now with everything having Hellcat power, and normal Challengers looking like Hellcats, its like I just drive the same Kia as everyone else. Still love my car, but just miss the hayday of her I guess. The other thing that bugs me is when you see them around town beat to hell and dirty as can be. Yep the Hellcat is just a normal car that is driven by the masses now.
Buy a Demon. You'll be back to square one instantly.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
It snowed several inches here by Chicago yesterday.
Today the roads are clear and with A/S tires could drive a Hellcat/Redeye just fine. Yesterday would have been a no-go
A former co-worker used to daily a scat pack all year round. It was his only car.
Sure, I agree you could, but it’s certainly not nearly as fun with awd.

And I need an suv for what I do, so it fills 2 purposes. It’s currently my only car.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Buy a Demon. You'll be back to square one instantly.
True story, but I'm going to need a MUCH better job for that one. I hear there is one in town, but I've still never seen it.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Technically my 2017 Hellcat Challenger is more rare than a Demon though, based on production totals. ;)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
@45-70govt and @Markp
What's the downside to Hellcat'ing everything?
Who does it really negatively effect? Is anyone really upset because people don't want to talk about their 5 year old car now?

Think the shoebox guys were upset when Chevy decided to put a smallblock in everything? How about the Corvette guys when the LS1 ended up in the Camaro? And then the LS ended up in everything... guess what, the LS market got stronger! You guys realize that Dodge brought back the HEMI, and the only thing they offered it in was a pickup truck, right? I'm glad there weren't a bunch of guys asking to keep it that way back then.

Say FCA only put the HC motor into the Challenger and Charger, and did it for the next 10 years... think the badge on your car would be more meaningful? There are over 60,000 of them out there. A couple thousand Jeeps and Durangos aren't watering down the brand.

I'd like to think this opens up the market for aftermarket parts and support, but it also keeps the junkyards and auction lots full of Hellcat motors, transmissions, and transfercases for years to come.
I didn't buy the HC to impress the guys at the gas station with some limited production car... I did it to leave them behind me from a red light in a plume of smoke and amazing noises. If everyone on my block had one, I'd enjoy it even more, competition brings out the best in us.
The downside to Hellcat everything is you water down the name then they don't sell and they sit on lots. I love my Hellcat but would I buy a hellcat durango, trackhawk, a hellcat minivan? Nope
Why don't they make more Demons?
Why don't they make a Demon Durango?

In 2015 they didn't make enough Hellcats so they flooded the market in 2016 and they sat there not selling. Why not make 2500 Hellcats a year that's it. They would get top dollar rather the being discounted and would all sell out.

I would say yes the badge would be more meaningful. The Demon being limited and one year was smart. Dodge still hasn't figured it out yet. Limited run sells more cars then producing as much as possible and let them sit on lots.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
44d0910a11f8fed6c7c0d8b2e23077d1.jpg

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Why not make 2500 Hellcats a year that's it. They would get top dollar rather the being discounted and would all sell out.
Because $59k x’s 7000 is nearly $225 million more the. $75k x 2500.

And that’s ignoring the scale of economics where building 10k+ of something (6.2 engines let’s say) is a lot cheaper then 2500.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Because $59k x’s 7000 is nearly $225 million more the. $75k x 2500.

And that’s ignoring the scale of economics where building 10k+ of something (6.2 engines let’s say) is a lot cheaper then 2500.
True but they would be waiting a year or more to get that $225 million rather then being sold out money in the bank before there even built. Supply and demand. Don't over supply the market especially when the demand is not there. You have to create the demand. Why do you think diamonds cost so much. You don't release them all at once you give a little at a time to make people want them.

Last edited:

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
True but they would be waiting a year or more to get that $225 million rather then being sold out money in the bank before there even built. Supply and demand. Don't over supply the market especially when the demand is not there. You have to create the demand. Why do you think diamonds cost so much. You don't release them all at once you give a little at a time to make people want them.
Diamonds are forever and they got 100’s of years to sell them.

FCA will be lucky if they build this engine for 10 years. They’d be fools and fiscally irresponsible if they didn’t sell as many as they could be fore the EPA pulls the plug.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Diamonds are forever and they got 100’s of years to sell them.

FCA will be lucky if they build this engine for 10 years. They’d be fools and fiscally irresponsible if they didn’t sell as many as they could be fore the EPA pulls the plug.

Your logic is sound but I don't think Hellcats really are the money makers for Dodge. They are supposed to be what creates mystique and hype to get you threw the door to buy there other vehicles.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Your logic is sound but I don't think Hellcats really are the money makers for Dodge. They are supposed to be what creates mystique and hype to get you threw the door to buy there other vehicles.
They joke about the LX platform being a $30K car with $40K upgrades...I think the profit margins are good on them. Volume wise they aren't that high, but profit margin wise probably pretty good.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
I agree, but there also needs to be balance between that and making money, which really is the end goal here.

If there was no end in sight to the ICE age, we might see more of that. But we all know the end is in sight, so it’s 6.2’s for EVERYONE...!!!

Which has its pros and cons, as it’s been very well discussed here. I think both sides have merit to their POV.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
About time.... I have to say I thought that thing was way overpriced for what you got. But that's just me.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I feel the reason the Trackhawk was never a huge hit was the lack of recognition for the price. I have owned the Grand Cherokee Summits with the Diesel and loved them. I owned the 2006 Jeep SRT and loved it. I wanted the Trackhawk and I am still on the fence but feel it’s just a heck of a lot of money with lousy ass MPG for my driving style. My feelings are the Jeep just doesn’t stand out and or get the recognition like the Challenger and Charger Hellcats do. And we all love the bust loose smoking tire fun 2 wheel rear drive all American original Muscle Car era. Most of us just can’t connect the dots on what we really get out of a station wagon on steroids. And for me its all about the fun factor and smile per mile enjoyment. And I’m not sold on every car you get has to be the most HP to accomplish this exhilarating feeling. I own different cars and trucks and can honesty tell and give feed back on each vehicles uniqueness. And I drove the Trackhawk when she first arrived and loved her and came close to buying one. But the MPG and IMO 98k price and sure get her for 88k just too salty for a JEEP name. In summing it up the sales and market tell the story which overall it dId so so and the real story is the Grand Cherokee will be a all new model for 2021 which drives the reason the HC option is no longer available is my assumption.
Incorrect. If they made the Charger HC as a wagon I'd be in it. :)

And if they made it as a wagon with AWD, I'd be in the ICU with a coronary :)

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
It's different though making lower priced models look like higher priced models, it helps sell the lower priced models. The Trackhawk is the high priced model and they made it look not all that different than a lower priced model which is baffling.
True - I personally think both strategies suck. Now us folks that fork over the higher dollars for the Hellcat get to resemble a SXT model with a heat extractor hood, Brembos etc. Now you're not exclusive at all to those that can't tell the difference. I'm sure that it has increased sales quite a bit on lower models...at the expense of the higher models. Now someone can get a nice SP 392 and have EVERY option a HC has for 20 - 30K less than what a HC costs. I'd argue the engine alone in a HC isn't worth that huge of a difference in price. In the TH's case, they didn't do anything special to it really other than a different engine package from day one.....so at least those who bought one knew what they were getting. It was kind of a "Niche" market from the start. But they really should have added something more specific just for that option only, especially for the sticker price FCA is asking for one. Again, all that added price is basically just for the HC engine.
Sorry to say fellers, but all Hellcat powered vehicles are simply old news now. Dodge is still trying to ride the publicity wave of 2015. If Dodge wants Hellcat / Demon type publicity again, its going to take a 1,000 HP monster to get the world obsessed about Dodge again. It used to be, I could not stop for gas without someone wanting to talk about the car or take a picture. Cant tell you the last time anyone really took a second look at my car now. We were king for a good run, but sadly its winding down now. Our engine is going into everything FCA has to add a few sales, and now the near budget Challengers, look exactly like our Hellcats. Starting to think Dodge is a liberal car company because they have the "everyone gets a trophy (engine)" mentality.
Couldn't have said it better and I agree....just like you, when I first got my Challenger Hellcat back in August of '15, people would always stop and stare or take pictures. Not like that anymore. Now if someone notices it at all, they sometimes ask me if its a Hellcat or a Scat Pack. So yeah, the Hellcat isn't unique like it used to be. Not sure it it'll take a 1K HP monster engine as much as a complete redesign of the car to re-ignite the spark for the Challengers. I tend to think redesigning the platform itself is overdue. I just hope it doesn't end up looking like a Toyota.....

EDIT - And I can't see a Hellcat powered Durango selling any better than the Track Hawk did......

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
About time.... I have to say I thought that thing was way overpriced for what you got. But that's just me.
I agree but value and pricing is predicated on what someone is willing to pay. In our case, someone else. 😂