Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Traction / Stability Control

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Interesting. I wonder if something has changed with the traction/stability control in the newer models. Do me a favor if you don't mind... Backup for 30, 40, or 50 feet, then assure that your car is not dead straight when you start to roll forward and then mash the gas (maybe a 10* turn). Be sure to have the traction full off. Let me know if it simply incinerates the tires even coming out of a slight turn and then straightening, or if it seems to apply some traction control.
It has to burn rubber until you can light fire, or it is not working right.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
It has to burn rubber until you can light fire, or it is not working right.
I gotta say the line lock on the Woodeye is AWESOME!
Massive burnouts/smokeshow at low rpm's.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
The torque in a Hellcat is awesome, the Redeye and Demon should just be illegal.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I seriously need to put the Pzeros back on because I have been roasting the living shit out of my Nitto's!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I seriously need to put the Pzeros back on because I have been roasting the living shit out of my Nitto's!
cant believe Pzeros are gonna be any better

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I don't care if I burn up the Pirelli's.

We don't need no water let the MF burn!

Burn MF burn!

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
This sounds like what I have experienced.
Track mode still manages tire spin on the Redeye where as the traction control button.... Boy Howdy!
I've always used "Sport" mode when doing my burn out and I leave it in Sport when racing. It allows full tire spin but still has plenty of input if the car goes sideways. "Track" still limits tire spin. I've never turned it all the way off and don't know why I would need to.

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
If you really want to be absolutely sure TC is completely off, disconnect or remove a wheel speed sensor [had 5 fail so far]. Kills the ABS, lets ya drive with zero interference, bringing the joy back to being obnoxious. Qualty burn-outs anytime, anywhere :D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. To say nothing re a massive deceleration death cloud now and then:cool::cool::D:D.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Actually mine is the opposite, I've never noticed the traction control to do anything on my car. I've had many cars with traction control and all of them have intervened when tire spin was detected, but this car just loves to light them up with no interference at all. I question is the stability control does anything on this car either since I don't have any confidence that the traction control does anything.
. I don’t have any traction control. I’m pushing 1200whp and have a locked diff (spool). I figure Pro Mods don’t have TC so why should I?

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
. I don’t have any traction control. I’m pushing 1200whp and have a locked diff (spool). I figure Pro Mods don’t have TC so why should I?
Oh I hear ya, I've just never owned a car with traction and stability control that appears to do nothing at all. Every car I've ever had was more intrusive, debatable if that's a pro or con.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I'm pretty sure the system has saved my dumbass a time or two.
In the Redeye and the Scat.
I can see where a person could spin this car(the Woodeye) easily with too much pedal out of a corner.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Sport mode. A setup that I have ignored until today.
It would be handy if FCA would give detailed explanations of the subtle differences in these systems.
In sport mode today my car was a tire burnin MO FO!
With(what seemed like to me) less computer interference than track mode. Need to do more research but this may be the mode you need for drifting.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It would be handy if FCA would give detailed explanations of the subtle differences in these systems.
With(what seemed like to me) less computer interference than track mode. Need to do more research but this may be the mode you need for drifting.
That is all true, you did your research. Nice work.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Sport mode is a lot of fun. I keep my car in Sport regularly when I'm out and about in it. That mode is always ready for any fun that might come your way.

Also, on a separate note, when I put my car in Track mode(I drag race it in that mode exclusively) the traction control automatically turns itself off. I suppose I thought all RE's were that way but apparently not from what I'm reading here.

OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #35
I know that Track mode has more interference than Sport mode. I'm saying when I'm in my custom set-up with transmission being in Track, suspension being in Street and traction being in Sport, I then hold the button down until it chimes and shows on the screen that traction is off, it still has the interference as I have previously describe. I wonder if it has added protections in custom mode even when you turn it full off? Do you think it is defaulting because the transmission is set in Track mode? This is not just about smoking my tires off, it drives me crazy when under hard acceleration while slightly turning. As soon as the car shifts gears it's like it goes limp a little (the car not me). I cannot be loosing boost in the shift to make it feel like it lost 300 HP until it gets full traction again.?.?.?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Actually mine is the opposite, I've never noticed the traction control to do anything on my car. I've had many cars with traction control and all of them have intervened when tire spin was detected, but this car just loves to light them up with no interference at all. I question is the stability control does anything on this car either since I don't have any confidence that the traction control does anything.
Not a fan of traction control, but I must admit that my '18 saved my butt big time when I foolishly ran through a sweeper at nearly full throttle.
I could feel the electronic gizmos doing their best to keep me on course. And luckily they succeeded.

Yes, I could've gone through that curve sideways, which is something I don't mind doing, but there wouldn't have been much room left for the opposing traffic in that case.
Thank you, traction control, as much as I normally wouldn't want you to exist.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I know that Track mode has more interference than Sport mode. I'm saying when I'm in my custom set-up with transmission being in Track, suspension being in Street and traction being in Sport, I then hold the button down until it chimes and shows on the screen that traction is off, it still has the interference as I have previously describe. I wonder if it has added protections in custom mode even when you turn it full off? Do you think it is defaulting because the transmission is set in Track mode? This is not just about smoking my tires off, it drives me crazy when under hard acceleration while slightly turning. As soon as the car shifts gears it's like it goes limp a little (the car not me). I cannot be loosing boost in the shift to make it feel like it lost 300 HP until it gets full traction again.?.?.?
There is ONE thing that you cannot "turn off" that affects the power output the engine has. Yes, if the traction/stability if full off /disabled you can go hog wild doing donuts with a wheel speed of 130 MPH etc. But you cannot be over revving and you cannot be approaching the rev limiter with the engine accelerating real fast. The rev limiter is predictive and looks at the rate of acceleration and will do 2 things to control RPM. #1 Pull Power, and #2 force upshifts. If the rate of engine acceleration is real fast the Rev limiter will try and get ahead of it. It will not let you actually get to the rev limit. Also if the Transmission is upshifting then the engine will pull power during the shifts. Maybe the difference in these 2 situations you describe is a difference in the traction available or a difference in the way you are applying the throttle. Here is a good example in my Demon. That car would annialate the tires in the right circumstances. Layed some really good stipes once in default with a conservative application of the throttle. But one time I was getting home and there were some Guys hanging out so I thought I would show off a little for them. I know I was in default but it still will spin the tires and leave marks in default. But this time it was wet and there were leaves and I was on concrete. I stabbed it to the floor and I had absolutely NOTHING. Just a stupid flutter. Well, it was like being on ice and you can bet the rate of acceleration of the back tires, the engine RPM etc were enormous.

This is the reason the car will many times force upshifts even if you have the shifter in manual.

The one situation you talked about cycling the ignition. That will put you back in default everything.

Also if the car is forcing upshifts in a low traction approaching over rev situation it may be doing one shift and if that is not enough doing one more and so on and that can give the impression that it is cutting power, and it is, because it is shifting. So if it is doing multiple upshifts it can seem like it is totally shutting down the show but rest assured if you left the throttle down long enough it will probably EVENTUALLY get with the program. I bet when it does this you end up just letting off. I would.

Last edited:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Man I sure hope my car doesn't start automatically shifting gears... damn thing would be haunted if it did.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Man I sure hope my car doesn't start automatically shifting gears... damn thing would be haunted if it did.
Ok...that made me LOL

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Motorhead,
Have you been able to drive your car much or is the weather too still crappy?