Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trailering

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
@Finface no mods required for the trailer. Car drives right past the fenders. Not a great deal of room, but the car is wearing its 12” wide wheels all around with 325’s front and 345’s rear.
DGatzby,

What brand and model trailer is that? And do the posts for the extra wheels come welded on it? What inclination (length?) race ramps do you have (aren't there various models?). Where do you transport them?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
DGatzby,

What brand and model trailer is that? And do the posts for the extra wheels come welded on it? What inclination (length?) race ramps do you have (aren't there various models?). Where do you transport them?
20’ H&H Speedloader EX

Those posts and any item you see holding those wheels/tires DO NOT come with the trailer. Rigid makes the base wheel holders. You cannot hang anything wider off the sides of that (about any) trailer. The HIPO and DOT would have p a problem with that, IF you managed to make it very far before fucking a lot of stuff up! The extension posts are designed by me and made by a good friend. They are priceless, you would need to get into your retirement funds to afford them.

Race Ramps RR-TR-5

I have carried the ramps, inside the Challenger, inside the Jeep, tied/laid down under the car on the trailer, or any where else I please really not a big deal.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
@DGatzby What does your hitch setup look like with the Jeep and that trailer?
I like this drop down hitch. The adjustable air suspension on the Jeep make loading and unloading it off the hitch a dream.

1F47DF0C-C4AD-4797-8913-D5CFBF96C25C.jpeg

The center of that front Challenger wheel wants to be right at the tie-down post hole just front of the trailer wheels. That puts its CG just about over the two axles. Plus that is a great spot to tie the front Vulcan’s down. It pulls really smooth and never ever has it wiggled on me.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Events starting up. Always raced Vetts..
Never hooked a Challenger up on a car hauler before. I would love to see how you guys are loading. Tricks?, frame hooks? Pics please.
THANKS GUYS!
Info on your trailer that you are using??

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
@WidebodyCat we have someone with a good eye direct me up. I drive it. I have a whole 1.5” to spare on each side! The Race Ramp set makes it a no brainer from road to trailer. Once we have the rear wheels on the tilt bed we lower the bed to drive it the remainder of the way into its place.

Unload, I have just got in it and on full tilt just slowly backed it off. Again have someone watch and direct. That part is usually quick.

OP
WidebodyCat

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
Info on your trailer that you are using??
Open, full deck steel trailer. Wind jammer in front, and a winch. Have a set of race ramps to assist loading.
All ready to go. Only thing I cant get, is this dam tow hook on. Have most of underbelly plastic off. Cant get the rest of belly plastic off to get the drill straight enough to drill into bottom of the crash bar. 😡

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Sad,

These MAX XD Drop and Load trailers are things of beauty! With the optional aluminum wheels some admiring Home Owner Association official might accept the argument these are "lawn and driveway art" and relax typical restrictions against parking things like RV's, trailers and boats in street view.

It ways the width is 80 inches - is that inside the wheel fender wells? The wide body Hellcat's body width is listed at 78.3 inches (this is outside of tire to outside of tire) so that would be an impractical fit for stock 305's. Not impossible, but hard to steer front wheels past the fenders without scrubbing tires/wheel rims.

What I could really use would be a "deck over trailer" so there are no wheel fender wells to drive between. I also have a tractor that has about the same side to side width problem as a wide body Challenger I'd like to be able to trailer.

A trailer like this one - https://maxxdtrailers.com/tox-14k-power-tilt-deck-over-trailer. But that model has a "15 degree" roll on angle. Okay for my four wheel drive tractor, but a "no way" without really long loading ramps. I mean really long. Could you stow them under the car while transporting?

Anyone have a preferred solution for trailering low ground clearance, wide wheel base cars?

DGatzby, you've got a trailer that works for you. What brand and model is it? Did you have to modify it to roll your car on and off?

Best,

Finface
No pics, I can load some tomorrow as she's going on the trailer. I have a moderately high trailer and have to use 8 foot ramps and long race ramps to clear. The trailer ramps beat the race ramps up a little but I'm into my second season without difficulty. I stow the trailer ramps under the car as well as the race ramps when I'm traveling. With 6 foot trailer ramps I still had to jack up the trailer to clear the headers. I'm stock height but the headers use up a little of the available room

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here is a picture of how simple the correct Race Ramp makes the load. The ramp model I have fits UNDER the lip of the trailer. The clearance is not even close enough to ever cause me to even think about it! Now the right and left alignment is what we worry about, but that is it.

885EFF20-06EC-4729-8CDC-43D4D93A780F.jpeg

Cross section, dimensions of mine...

https://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps/p/rr-tr-5/

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Here is a picture of how simple the correct Race Ramp makes the load. The ramp model I have fits UNDER the lip of the trailer. The clearance is not even close enough to ever cause me to even think about it! Now the right and left alignment is what we worry about, but that is it.

View attachment 37215

Cross section, dimensions of mine...

https://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps/p/rr-tr-5/

Ahh to be that low, gooseneck is great to drive but tough to load

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Never having seen a Hellcat in the flesh before, I wasn't sure what I was in for when picking mine up.

Foolishly brought short ramps, and thank God for the rear trailer jacks and that I'd brought a fair amount of 2x4 pieces.
Had to crank the front of the trailer up by well over a foot to clear the approach and breakover angles. DSCN2124.JPG

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Never having seen a Hellcat in the flesh before, I wasn't sure what I was in for when picking mine up.

Foolishly brought short ramps, and thank God for the rear trailer jacks and that I'd brought a fair amount of 2x4 pieces.
Had to crank the front of the trailer up by well over a foot to clear the approach and breakover angles. View attachment 37395
At least you tied it down with the good stuff, Jimmy!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have become a firm believer in wheel nets. Now I have a set specifically for that tire size.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Ahh to be that low, gooseneck is great to drive but tough to load
Along the lines of being harder to get race ramps to work...has anyone tried using a full over the wheel trailer? No threading the needle between the fender wheels. Something like this, with the rear edge of the trailer not reaching the ground but rather mating with long race ramps to make a smooth surface?

https://www.bigtextrailers.com/14ot-heavy-duty-tilt-bed-equipment

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That looks like the angles would be quite similar to my 32-foot gooseneck with a hydraulic 10-foot dove tail.
I did the math at some point to see how tall and long the ramps would have to be, but don't remember what I arrived at.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
IMO it don’t get much better than the transition my tilt and those ramps do also. Looks like the same angles basically. Must be several kinds. That Big-Tex has a bigger capacity also. How much is it?

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
IMO it don’t get much better than the transition my tilt and those ramps do also. Looks like the same angles basically. Must be several kinds. That Big-Tex has a bigger capacity also. How much is it?
Yours looks great! only downside is a bumper pull....

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Or advantage?

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Haha, to each, their own.
Your rig looks better and loads easier. Mine tows like a dream (yours might too) and is great for positioning trailer in the pits.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
About the only "advantage" I can think of with a bumper pull is that it can be towed with vehicles that shouldn't be towing anything.
Sorry, Gatzby, but been there, done that, which is why I feel that way.