Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Trans fluid temps.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Have any of you guys been able to pull up trans temps on your HP90's?
I have tried in my '16 Challenger and get nothing but instructions on what to do when the trans overheats.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Have any of you guys been able to pull up trans temps on your HP90's?
I have tried in my '16 Challenger and get nothing but instructions on what to do when the trans overheats.
Yes in performance pages . 20210429_213304.jpg

OP
Mike L.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Thank you.
Engine must be running to pull trans temps up on screen.
On another note; has anyone monitered trans temps under normal driving conditions? These cars have a cooler bypass block to warm up the trans controlled by a thermostat valve. Problem is when the valve opens; most of the fluid still goes back into trans instead of cooler to keep the fluid thin and achieve better mileage. I changed mine over to a straight through to cooler block and will be watching what the difference is. I will report if anyone is interested.
I noticed that the new dieal trucks have the same set up and I have been able to drop trans temps 40F with bypass. This is huge under towing conditions.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
It's hard to know what is normal anymore with modern trans fluids and components, and I don't watch trans temps as much as coolant and oil, but I know these cars run close to 200 when warmed up good and can even go over that in hard driving. But is that bad? I know oils can run 270+ when driven hard and it's not a big deal. Thanks for the post and discussion and I will be following.

OP
Mike L.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I did some road testing today in 65F air temps. Starting trans temps were 83F on start up garaged. Never could get on it because of the sheriffs hiding behind every bush. After 5 miles trans temps were 113F. Idling at stops , the temps rose to 120F. Got a chance to jump on it a little off the line and saw 127F. This is because of the 10" higher stall converter generating instant heat. Temps dropped big time after a couple of blocks because of my straight through flow to the cooler. I wish I had done testing before I installed the flow through block, but with the work in the shop I had to sneak it on fast and get it done.
From the testing I've done on our diesel trucks; I expect to see similar results in the Kats. Next test will be aggresive driving and launches. I will report my findings as I go along. I have a feeling these transmissions will go well over 200F which is not good. Any info you guys can give me with your cars will be helpfull. Thanks.