Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

UPDATE - Front wheel shake and wheels out of round

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, second shop confirmed it. The tires are out of round themselves - can be balanced where the machines will say its good, but on the road, the up and down at high speed overwhelms the wheel. On the tire front, you may recall I bought that set of 4 new. 2 were 2 years old and returned immediately. Here's the funny part, they refunded for three. So this time, I am returning one for a full refund and have one left over as a coffee table decoration.

Ordered two new ones through one of the shops today. Will swap them on to the wheels next week when they arrive.

As for the out of round wheels, I'm going to test them myself at this friends shop. Maybe the first shop just did not have them perfectly centered (crossed fingers). But I've also been looking at wheel repair places and can't get any to call me back. Guess they're too busy. So, possibly at least one more table decoration. New is $1500 or like that. Two from Paul are $750, but the offset is further out. Not sure I want that.

sales guy.gif
Cheap P Zero Nero A/S! Brand new!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
You have the certified worst tire problems of anybody for some reason. Where do you buy them from?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
A couple years back I put 4 new. Nitros from Discount Tires on my 2008 Challenger. Every 300 or 400 miles I’d pick up the high frequency vibration up front.

After having the tires rebalanced about 4 times I got the phone number for the regional manager. After a short conversation he agreed to replace all four tires. After the tires were replaced I never had another problem.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
You have the certified worst tire problems of anybody for some reason. Where do you buy them from?
This set was from Amazon. The guys didn't lie, they were brand new, never mounted OEM all seasons. When I revisited that seller, they were still selling but for much closer to "full price" now. These were like $120 a piece.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Been through lots of 555Rs, MIckeys, and others on this car (in both OEM and 305 sizes) without a problem. After that "lathe" incident with the right front, it was time to replace all the OEMs.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Both wheels retested on Friday at my friends shop sans rubber and are out of round. Not dramatically, but enough to matter on this car (and to me). Trying to find a good place to do the modifications / repairs but can't find one nearby. Any recommendations?

Also - the Mickey Thompsons are down to the wear bars... 555RII? Thinking.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I like the 555RII for a street car cause you never know what rain storm will pop up.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Both wheels retested on Friday at my friends shop sans rubber and are out of round. Not dramatically, but enough to matter on this car (and to me). Trying to find a good place to do the modifications / repairs but can't find one nearby. Any recommendations?

Also - the Mickey Thompsons are down to the wear bars... 555RII? Thinking.
Here's a few places you might want to check

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/656/dodge_charger_wheels_rims.html

http://www.socalwheels.com/view-pro...irestone/275-40-20/Firestone/305-35-20/Silver

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
This set was from Amazon. The guys didn't lie, they were brand new, never mounted OEM all seasons. When I revisited that seller, they were still selling but for much closer to "full price" now. These were like $120 a piece.
I got the same tires from Amazon They were around $86 each. They were new and with a born on date about 9 months old. Dont recall any issues when they were on but they werent on all that long before summers went on. I need to keep this in mind when I get them back on.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Unfortunately I don't have the slingshots, but I really appreciate the offer. I cannot believe those have not sold. That's a great deal.
Do you have the 5 spoke?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Yes.

20170820_142527.jpg

OEM up front (with a spare set that came off the rear) and Paul's 20 x 11 (21 off set) in the rear.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yes.

View attachment 21781

OEM up front (with a spare set that came off the rear) and Paul's 20 x 11 (21 off set) in the rear.
With all due respect.....and I do mean all due respect......I do like those wheels better than the slingshots.

Plasticman

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Opelika
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger HC
I bought my four All-Season Pirelli's from Tire Rack. Discount tire did the mounting/balancing. No issues until I had them rotated/rebalanced. Found one was out of round. Since Tire Rack and Discount Tire have an agreement, Discount Tire sourced a replacement tire and warrantied the bad one.
Rob

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yes.

View attachment 21781

So, are the HR5s the wheels you have said tested out of round? I am getting ready to pull the trigger with that wheel and a 315 tire from Paul for the rear axle.

Also, how do you like the 20x11 with the 21 offset?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
There is a good wheel repair shop here in ABQ, but by the time you pay $100-$150 to repair the wheel and deal with shipping you do come out in basically the same spot trying to pick up some used on craigslist or whatever. Thing is I have been keeping an eye out for a pair of the 5-spokes and I never see any for sale.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
So, are the HR5s the wheels you have said tested out of round? I am getting ready to pull the trigger with that wheel and a 315 tire from Paul for the rear axle.

Also, how do you like the 20x11 with the 21 offset?
No, the out of rounds are the OEMs that were on the front (still run 275s up front). The rears I pretty much love. They look nearly stock (the whole point) but allow a full wheel width 305 or 315 to be used. I'd love a 345 but I think that's pushing it without modifications to the wells (and they don't make those little eyebrow wheel well archs for the Charger....).

They're not undetectable. See here:

Wheels OEM and PKA.png

To casual observation you just look like you have a set of stocks front and back.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
There is a good wheel repair shop here in ABQ, but by the time you pay $100-$150 to repair the wheel and deal with shipping you do come out in basically the same spot trying to pick up some used on craigslist or whatever. Thing is I have been keeping an eye out for a pair of the 5-spokes and I never see any for sale.
Have you used those guys? I'm going to be checking them and the other two recommendations out. Thanks for posting up.