Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What did you do to your Hellcat today?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Factory installed oil filters are really over-tightened from the factory. You need that 3 prong looking oil filter wrench to get it off. I dented my oil filter trying to get it off. Lol. Still got it off, that’s all that matters. View attachment 83590
Glad that worked for you.

Next time, take a flat head screw driver and drive it through the old filter with a hammer. Now you have a lever to get it off.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Gentlemen!

Please stop with generic tools for oil filters.

Use the right tool for the job, I swear you'll never understand why you used anything different!

This for a -041 (or equivalent) 93mm-15flute

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AKA6NYC

Make sure if you're using something else you confirm size & flutes.

Also, do NOT use those 2in1 versions, they suck!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I just use my strong hand and spin it right off

strong hand.gif

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Gentlemen!

Use the right tool for the job, I swear you'll never understand why you used anything different!

Dude, that 2 in1 version wrench I posted worked flawlessly for me. But it’s not for everyone. There are other wrenches too.
And I also have that cup filter tool too. It just slips on the black Mopar oil filter. Factory installed.

Do most of you guys change your own oil? Especially with Race Ramps, It’s easy on the Hellcats even if you drain the oil cooler too. It just takes more time. You have to remove a lot of push pins to take the shield off to gain access to the oil cooler. A lot of guys cut an opening in that shield just so they don’t have to take the whole thing off every time.

Last edited:

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
I’ve heard too many bad stories guys experienced having their oil changed at dealerships. They usually over fill it because they don’t know or care about draining the oil cooler.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Standard body, correct?

I used this guy's video to help me out...

I have a Widebody. Thanks for the response.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Gentlemen!

I don’t need tools since I do it myself, filter is never over tightened.

Just always seems to be when I’m helping a buddy or something.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t need tools since I do it myself, filter is never over tightened.

Just always seems to be when I’m helping a buddy or something.
Did you do the first oil change on a ‘22 Hellcat? Almost everyone said the filter was on super tight.
But who cares any more.
Back on topic. :)

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I have 2 different sizes of the plier type filter wrenchs which have always been successful and cover quite the size range of filters. I also have several sizes of those cap type filter sockets, they work well and really help if you have space constraints where the plier type tool won't fit.

I do wish that American manufacturers would put the oil filter at the top of the engine in it's own canister like on many German and other imports cars. The filter drains itself into it's own canister, is super easy to get to and you just remove the canister top to get to the filter.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
I have 2 different sizes of the plier type filter wrenchs which have always been successful and cover quite the size range of filters. I also have several sizes of those cap type filter sockets, they work well and really help if you have space constraints where the plier type tool won't fit.

I do wish that American manufacturers would put the oil filter at the top of the engine in it's own canister like on many German and other imports cars. The filter drains itself into it's own canister, is super easy to get to and you just remove the canister top to get to the filter.
Yea, The Germans definitely are smart and efficient.
If we could change the oil filter from the top instead of crawling under the car we could also use one of those nice oil extractors to remove the old oil through the dipstick tube.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
I have a Widebody. Thanks for the response.
Sorry, I should have picked up on that from your avatar picture, try this one. I noticed on the ZL1 Add Ons website they're sending small and large clips now with the widebody kits.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Sorry, I should have picked up on that from your avatar picture, try this one. I noticed on the ZL1 Add Ons website they're sending small and large clips now with the widebody kits.

Thanks man.

What other brands rock/splash guards are you guys using? Other than ZL1.
I’ll probably take the wheel off next. Idk if you guys did but there’s enough room with the wheels on.
Edit: It’s funny though without the rock guards only the black trim piece at the bottom in front of the driver side rear wheel is getting nicked up. And I have PPF on the bottom of the doors.

Last edited:

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
@22MoparMuscle, I checked and it looks like the JLTs are discontinued for the widebodies and the MOPAR ones are likely for standard bodies only (there's no fit annotation in the accessory catalog). Rokblokz does have a current offering in different styles and colors that might work for y'all...

https://rokblokz.com/collections/do...allenger-narrow-widebody-2008-rally-mud-flaps

I've used them on my Can Am Maverick X3 UTV and my Jeep Gladiator and they're perfect for those, I'd personally go with their splash guard as opposed to rally style for the Challenger though.

1664639735285.png

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Went with afe

Attachments

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Did you do the first oil change on a ‘22 Hellcat? Almost everyone said the filter was on super tight.
But who cares any more.
Back on topic. :)
When I did my first one I don’t recall if it was overly tight but the rubber gasket from the oil filter was stuck on the block. 😳

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
When I did my first one I don’t recall if it was overly tight but the rubber gasket from the oil filter was stuck on the block. 😳
I took mine to the dealership and the mechanic starting crying about draining the oil cooler that it was alot of work. Charged me extra. Never went back. It was New Smyrna Beach Dodge.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I took mine to the dealership and the mechanic starting crying about draining the oil cooler that it was alot of work. Charged me extra. Never went back. It was New Smyrna Beach Dodge.
Bunch of lazy asses. Not that big of a deal. Besides, with the prices they charge for an oil change at a dealer for a HC they should be draining it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Bunch of lazy asses. Not that big of a deal. Besides, with the prices they charge for an oil change at a dealer for a HC they should be draining it.
I will say that I took the Ram in for a recall and a check engine light last week and they got it done fast. That was Daytona Dodge.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
The engine Assembly factory don’t like putting oil on the filter gasket either. Wtf.
I think they assemble the engines in Mexico too. Says that on my window sticker.

Last edited:

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Installed new belts (sc and acc drive).

Checked my oil line installation. No leaky :)

90k miles, on the og belts. They were both ready. Not as plush and pliable, as the new ones.

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk