Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What Mileage should I install an oil separator and breather?

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I heard you don't really need one with the way dodge designed the engine...

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Something about catch cans. As the boost goes up… the need for a can goes up because crankcase pressure goes up. Stock boost motors in good condition have little need. The valve cover baffles do the job of controlling oil and if you use a breather on the valve cover to relieve crankcase pressure…. You’re good. If you do want to run a can that actually works and is not just for looks…. mount it away from the motor where it is going to stay as cool as possible. A hot can is not going to condense anything, and that is one of the factors in how they work. If you are in the 1000+ hp club….. I suggest you look at the vented type cans like the Motion Raceworks I previously mentioned. Nothing else compares for the price. Educate yourself on how a catch can works and why you want one instead of just doing it because others have. This is what I use (no I’m not suggesting that you use this one). But as you can see… it has breathers that relieve pressure and there is no return line, so there is no (as in zero) return to the engine intake. If you don’t want to be injecting oil, water and fuel vapors into your intake for your engine to breathe… a vented can is the way to do it. 4627799E-C7CB-4699-9622-4667F74860F5.jpeg BB4D41A4-F417-4B48-8765-50817B4B326A.jpeg

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Looks pretty sweet but it's pricey
You get what you pay for, the dual valve model is for boosted applications. But it is pulling all the time when it's under boost or normal operaton

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Back in 2006 when i super charged a GTO there was a big brouhaha about catch cans. I went with one that i essentially put together myself, wanting to keep the intake clean of contaminants, but there was a vociferous group that said the blowback into the intake was a good thing, and it was designed that way by the manufacturer for a reason. I was never particularly clear on what this reason was other than emissions related.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Back in 2006 when i super charged a GTO there was a big brouhaha about catch cans. I went with one that i essentially put together myself, wanting to keep the intake clean of contaminants, but there was a vociferous group that said the blowback into the intake was a good thing, and it was designed that way by the manufacturer for a reason. I was never particularly clear on what this reason was other than emissions related.
LOL it was the government EPA regulations for emissions control. The older cars only had a breather for the crankcase either on the fill tube or the valve cover. The PCV was routed.to the intake manifold, then they decided it would be a good idea to have the EGR to recycle the exhaust gases. Emissions control systems didn't make it run any better

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
I just checked my log book (yes, I said log book :ROFLMAO:) and I installed my UPR @ 66 miles. I agree that the fender mount is better but I went with the standard mount in case I need to remove it quickly for warranty purposes...:sneaky:

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
F the EPA !

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Lol. You rebels you!

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Something about catch cans. As the boost goes up… the need for a can goes up because crankcase pressure goes up. Stock boost motors in good condition have little need. The valve cover baffles do the job of controlling oil and if you use a breather on the valve cover to relieve crankcase pressure…. You’re good. If you do want to run a can that actually works and is not just for looks…. mount it away from the motor where it is going to stay as cool as possible. A hot can is not going to condense anything, and that is one of the factors in how they work. If you are in the 1000+ hp club….. I suggest you look at the vented type cans like the Motion Raceworks I previously mentioned. Nothing else compares for the price. Educate yourself on how a catch can works and why you want one instead of just doing it because others have. This is what I use (no I’m not suggesting that you use this one). But as you can see… it has breathers that relieve pressure and there is no return line, so there is no (as in zero) return to the engine intake. If you don’t want to be injecting oil, water and fuel vapors into your intake for your engine to breathe… a vented can is the way to do it. View attachment 98831 View attachment 98832
Excellent explanation 👌

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I just got the 15-20 hc UPR breather and it doesn't fit. The grooves don't quite line up. I thought I was going to break something trying to force it. Any other brand ya'll are using?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I just got the 15-20 hc UPR breather and it doesn't fit. The grooves don't quite line up. I thought I was going to break something trying to force it. Any other brand ya'll are using?
That's a bit of a head scratcher, think they may have shipped you the wrong one? Did you contact to let UPR know it didn't fit? They seemed a bit crazy about customer service when I was dealing with them, they sent me the breather for free just because the smaller catch can was not in stock when I ordered and I had to purchase the larger can for just a little more $$$.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
That's a bit of a head scratcher, think they may have shipped you the wrong one? Did you contact to let UPR know it didn't fit? They seemed a bit crazy about customer service when I was dealing with them, they sent me the breather for free just because the smaller catch can was not in stock when I ordered and I had to purchase the larger can for just a little more $$$.
I got it from lethal and they want me to send them some pics. The notches are really close but just a little off so it won't lock down.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I got it from lethal and they want me to send them some pics. The notches are really close but just a little off so it won't lock down.
Pics?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
What the hell? and they listed it as compatible?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
What the hell? and they listed it as compatible?
Yes. Its only off by a small fraction but I was going to break my oil fill tube before it would twist in so really didn't wanna do that. I'll post some pics. It looks damn near identical to the stock cap so idk. I'll check w a caliper.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
The grooves are tapered on the cap so are the notches in the oil fill tube. You can see where I’ve been pushing down and twisting pretty freaking hard by hand. No luck. Not trying to use a hammer and wrench to get my oil cap on and off lol.
A823F3AD-4E19-4F1F-A1F0-16A84BC42E73.jpeg

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
The grooves are tapered on the cap so are the notches in the oil fill tube. You can see where I’ve been pushing down and twisting pretty freaking hard by hand. No luck. Not trying to use a hammer and wrench to get my oil cap on and off lol.
View attachment 99103
Looks.like the bevels on the original.and not.on the upr model

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Interesting, any thoughts on this vs a catchcan?
If I could only have one or the other running stock boost, I’d choose a CC. I’m guessing if one is spinning the SC faster and increasing crankcase pressures, a breather might be the better route. Ideally, having both is best, imo.