Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Where do I find the size of the blower bearings?

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Thread Starter #21
I don't think you'd have to go with LN2 to shrink the bearings into place. I am assuming there is no oil bath, but that the bearings are sealed with their lube in there. How about bearings on the back side? No reason to not have an oil bath back there that I can see.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I always wondered what that little allen key plug is for on the back side of the blower next to the s/n.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Back of blower where the gears are is splash lube for the gears, don’t know if the rear bearings get that oil lube or not. Industrial roots type blowers we use do with the front drive end having grease fitting for the front bearings, and they only spin 5,000 rpm but run 24/7

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Thread Starter #24
Got any spare bearings around, and what are the sizes?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Bearings in the roots type blowers I use at work are standard off the shelf 6208’s, you can get them cheap at local bearing house. Not the same bearings as used in the IHI blower

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Bearings in the roots type blowers I use at work are standard off the shelf 6208’s, you can get them cheap at local bearing house. Not the same bearings as used in the IHI blower
Interesting thread. You said you replaced the end cap bearings and no big deal. Are you saying there are other bearings internally on the rotors like support bearings on a cluster shaft in a manual tranny? Or thrust bearings inside the housing like a crank thrust bearing? I dunno I've never delved into one of these.
P.S Your all getting me nervous. I just bought my RE. Are these IHI blowers known to be problematic? (Like bearings tend to go at "X" amount of miles) I thought FCA fixed the earlier problems with snout bearings they were having.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Me, no, my blower has yet to give me issues, I’m talking about industrial roots type blowers.
My guess the bearings in the IHI blowers are a angular contact type of bearing of some sort with possibly a closer internal clearance then the standard C3 fit and may carry a ABEC rating of a higher precision bearing then a run of the mill EM type (Electric Motor) bearing.
Relax, your Redeye blower will be fine, if your that concerned I’ll trade you for my proven one? Free, I’ll pay shipping even :)

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I would say that like turret bearings in a mill, correct assembly and tolerance are CRITICAL. Also ceramics require seating, procedures usually at VERY low rpms to start and incrementally speed up every 20 minutes until you reach operating speed. After that, I see no issues.