Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why do we think the prices of EV’s are plunging?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #41
There are always market fluctuations, and the subsidies have long been figuring in the pricing before now. Dropping 10k in price on a 120k car is not a plunge to me when, even w subsidies precovid they were what 80 or 90 grand? Just a question of scale. And the primary driver for lowering the prices was more mainstream EVs entering the market at lower prices.
Plunge, drop, dip; whatever counsel. The prices are substantially lower while ICE cars prices are doing what?

So where are these “mainstream EV’s” entering the market? Who the fuck in the USA besides extremely wealthy people are going to pay more than $80-90k for a battery that is going to depreciate fast and deep?

How about the future cost of the power to charge them? Are we sure the same dollar per kilowatt we pay today is going to hold tomorrow? Fuck no! I’ll make a bet right now… the cost of a gallon of gas will be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper in three years VS the cost of a kilowatt of electricity which will be SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g32463239/new-ev-models-us/

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Plunge, drop, dip; whatever counsel. The prices are substantially lower while ICE cars prices are doing what?

So where are these “mainstream EV’s” entering the market? Who the fuck in the USA besides extremely wealthy people are going to pay more than $80-90k for a battery that is going to depreciate fast and deep?

How about the future cost of the power to charge them? Are we sure the same dollar per kilowatt we pay today is going to hold tomorrow? Fuck no! I’ll make a bet right now… the cost of a gallon of gas will be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper in three years VS the cost of a kilowatt of electricity which will be SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive.

Electricity prices are already goin through the roof! I just got a notice from my electric supplier that prices go up 28% May 1st!!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

I mean mainstream manufacurers offering things like the lightning. That is an EV game changer from the stand point of market share. Rightly or wrongly many folks who would not buy a Tesla have looked at the upcoming mainstream.offerings with curiosity. That is a fundamental shift. While they have had some problems in roll out, they are still selling everything they make, and often seeing huge ADMs like other high demand vehicles.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #45
I mean mainstream manufacurers offering things like the lightning. That is an EV game changer from the stand point of market share. Rightly or wrongly many folks who would not buy a Tesla have looked at the upcoming mainstream.offerings with curiosity. That is a fundamental shift. While they have had some problems in roll out, they are still selling everything they make, and often seeing huge ADMs like other high demand vehicles.
Okay, just built a cheap XLT for $85k. Wow! Lots of “mainstream” folks can afford that? If that is mainstream, I am feeling like I have sunk to some sub-poverty level myself. I have now confirmed I am a poor man. Hope to reach mainstream someday, but I need to work well into my seventh decade of life now to achieve that gifted mainstream level in the USA. Thanks, Mag you are making my day. Or? I won’t ever be able to afford one of these mainstream EV’s. I am simply relegated to the old ICE crap I guess.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Because they suck?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Okay, just built a cheap XLT for $85k. Wow! Lots of “mainstream” folks can afford that? If that is mainstream, I am feeling like I have sunk to some sub-poverty level myself. I have now confirmed I am a poor man. Hope to reach mainstream someday, but I need to work well into my seventh decade of life now to achieve that gifted mainstream level in the USA. Thanks, Mag you are making my day. Or? I won’t ever be able to afford one of these mainstream EV’s. I am simply relegated to the old ICE crap I guess.
Lol, you aint poor man. Not with that fast.car!. And by mainstream i mean mainstream manufacturers like ford, stellantis, chevy. Now that they are offering EVs that is going.to draw.many more.folks to that.market. drew me.to at least look at the offerings, foe example. Was not saying mainstream as in affordable pricing.

Though on that topic I did see earlier this week that the average new car sales price in the United States post covid has hit $65000.Which to me is nuts.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Because the EU just trashed their EV mandate. Or, they were capitalism at its best and not worth it to begin with. Or, big f you to early buyers to move product. Or, nuclear fusion is around the corner
lol, I wish so bad clean nuclear fusion was nearly a reality. Some amazing steps towards it being made; we (as in the whole world) need to really make progress on this.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #49
Lol, you aint poor man. Not with that fast.car!. And by mainstream i mean mainstream manufacturers like ford, stellantis, chevy. Now that they are offering EVs that is going.to draw.many more.folks to that.market. drew me.to at least look at the offerings, foe example. Was not saying mainstream as in affordable pricing.

Though on that topic I did see earlier this week that the average new car sales price in the United States post covid has hit $65000.Which to me is nuts.
I agree Mags. I really don’t know or understand how any “average” people are even getting by now, let alone attempting to buy about anything. Something is going to give soon IMO. That EV price adjustment may be from someone who realizes it. Just purchasing groceries and consumables is entirely unreasonable.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
This would all be funny if it weren't so serious and sad. Once-upon-a-time, evil tyrants would wage war resulting in huge costs to life, limb and liberty. Now they just take your liberty and money, entirely based on junk science, corruption and ignorance. It seems to be a race between people waking up to the scam (true woke-ness) vs. growing legislation, propaganda and shaming. I'm holding off on which I'm betting on. Again, I'm glad I'm old...

BTW: I just ordered a F150 (XL 5.0, $45,370) to make sure I have a gas-only truck for the rest of my life.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Electricity prices are already goin through the roof! I just got a notice from my electric supplier that prices go up 28% May 1st!!
Our power co. uses gas, elect bill is up 80%, so it is funny-sad that they want to ban gas stoves so they can use the gas to generate elect for elect stoves.

The whole world has gone stupid.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Erie
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat
Bolt, Leaf, ID.4, Niro, Kona, MX-30 not within reach of everyman?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Don't know if it's true, but got this email today. EVs for the win!

"From an anonymous State Trooper

I’m not a fan of all electric vehicles. Too many variables affecting battery consumption. Definitely not suited for cold climates. The following experience just cements my distaste for EV’s, especially Teslas.

I got sent to a motorist assist the other day, at the start of our snowstorm. Tesla on the side of the interstate, dead battery. So, I arrive on scene and the occupants have the right-front door open. They tell me that they can’t open any other doors, because the battery is dead. Sure enough. Can’t open the doors from inside or outside. The driver also can’t get her license out of the glove box where she put it during their trip because the glovebox opens electronically… and the battery is dead. You actually have to use the computer in the center of the dash to open the glovebox.

They said they had 10% battery left, which should’ve been plenty to get from that location to the charging station nearby. Then all of a sudden the whole car shut off and they coasted to the shoulder.

So now I have to find them a tow. No one wants to tow EVs. Finally found one company to do it. The 8-mile trip to the charging station in Tomah cost $1,000! Normal vehicle on the flatbed would’ve been $150.

So now we’re at the Tesla superchargers. Guess what. Can’t open the charging port because the battery is dead!!! The ports open, you guessed it, electronically!!! And we also can’t open the doors now (had to close the one open door when it was loaded onto the wrecker). The owner’s manual is in the on-board computer, but the battery is dead.

I got the occupants to a store where they’d be warm while calling the rental company to figure out how to charge this POS, so I’m not sure of the outcome. I had to leave for a crash report.

I’ll stick with my dinosaur burner.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And I like this one.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #56

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I was flipping through the radio stations this morning and went through the 5-in-a-row PBS stations. I usually blow through them as fast as possible but the clueless wonders were discussing the FJB reduction in EV tax rebates, they now will be dependent on the foreign content of the vehicle, which means no one will be getting the full $7500 after it goes into effect.

The FJB objective is to create U.S. jobs by providing a greater incentive for EV’s with higher U.S. content. They did not discuss the limited options for buyers in that they do not have a choice between two identical $x0.000.00 cars, one with higher U.S. content than the other.

So, as it stands, mfr’s will get the same price, buyers will lose tax rebates, and no more U.S. jobs will be created. Great job Joe!

BTW: Could you imagine if a new administration decided to discard all the EV crap, then the EU would be sitting there with their thump up their nose supporting the China EV industry by itself! LOL! Like they could hate us more! LOL!!!

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
And I’m sure all these unaffordable EVs that’ll make it next to impossible for the have nots to own cars will all be blamed on racism, discrimination, white privilege, ______(insert any other excuse to divide people and increase hatred here).

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Infrastruscture..... Range. Lacking both.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
And I’m sure all these unaffordable EVs that’ll make it next to impossible for the have nots to own cars will all be blamed on racism, discrimination, white privilege, ______(insert any other excuse to divide people and increase hatred here).
Simple answer: Gvt gives them out for free! Like cell phones and student "loans"! :ROFLMAO: