Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Center display going nuts

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
2017 Challenger Hellcat. My center display is going nuts randomly activating radio channels and switching the AC modes and turning the AC off and on rapidly. Any body know how to fix this. Thanks.

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you are referring to the media screen there is a known issue with the screen de laminating resulting in the sort of bizarre behavior you are describing.
Thought it was just the '18's tho.

Fix is to replace the unit, Dodge never issues a TSB or recall, but was fixing them for free to original owners. Part is like $1300 as I recall.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
If you are referring to the media screen there is a known issue with the screen de laminating resulting in the sort of bizarre behavior you are describing.
Thought it was just the '18's tho.

Fix is to replace the unit, Dodge never issues a TSB or recall, but was fixing them for free to original owners. Part is like $1300 as I recall.
The screen looks good. I don't see anything wrong with it. The car had not been driven in several months. and when I got it out the other day it was going crazy. The battery had gone down on it, and had to be charged.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The screen looks good. I don't see anything wrong with it. The car had not been driven in several months. and when I got it out the other day it was going crazy. The batter had gone down on it, and had to be charged.

Low voltage will cause all kinds of erratic behavior, charge, start several times, check, report back.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The screen looks good. I don't see anything wrong with it. The car had not been driven in several months. and when I got it out the other day it was going crazy. The batter had gone down on it, and had to be charged.
Could be something else, if it persists after a few 'normal' starts, the delam screen would be the next thing to look at. Mine was going bonkers & the screen looked OK with just a tiny, tiny bit of separation on the top right that I couldn't even see unless the light hit just right.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
You probably know this, but low voltage can make a lot of things in the car wonky, if you battery was down, maybe you charged it enough to start it but other stuff may not be healed. You may need a new battery, especially if yours is original.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Low voltage will cause all kinds of erratic behavior, charge, start several times, check, report back.
I charged it up and it is starting quick and snappy as always. I did try the battery disconnect and reconnect to see if it may have to reboot. But that didn't help either.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I
I charged it up and it is starting quick and snappy as always. I did try the battery disconnect and reconnect to see if it may have to reboot. But that didn't help either.

I forget the radio button sequence for accessing the engineering menu that allows for a couple of different levels of radio reboot.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
You probably know this, but low voltage can make a lot of things in the car wonky, if you battery was down, maybe you charged it enough to start it but other stuff may not be healed. You may need a new battery, especially if yours is original.
I have heard that low voltage caused issues. Looks like if it starts the car it should run the electronics. But Dodge is not known for doing things sensible

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Let me go see if I can figure it out, it is some combination of UP/DOWN MUTE button while turning power on.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
I

I forget the radio button sequence for accessing the engineering menu that allows for a couple of different levels of radio reboot.
I guess I will have to take it to the dealer, I cant fix it. And I have been a mechanic all my life. LOL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
With ACC power on, press and hold Driver's temp UP/DOWN buttons, after 10ish seconds the Engineering menu pops up, then scroll down to Reset to factory default.

I'm not sure I would do this until you've exhausted everything else first though.

Attachments

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
^^^Do you know if that works for all years? I would love to try to get mine reset to get my best times back in my performance pages

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Other reference points, battery voltage should be at 12.6 to 12.7 with the car off for an extended period of time, try not to read right after shutting down.

Voltage while running is ~14.1-14.4

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
^^^Do you know if that works for all years? I would love to try to get mine reset to get my best times back in my performance pages
I don't know, I'm checking on my other two now

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My Challenger is a MY16, worked as described, my DSRT is a MY19, I could not get it to work, perhaps it's a different key sequence?

My Power Wagon is a MY17, and it worked

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
My Challenger is a MY16, worked as described, my DSRT is a MY19, I could not get it to work, perhaps it's a different key sequence?

My Power Wagon is a MY17, and it worked
Thx for checking, must be something different for '18 or '19+ models. I saw a youtube video that just said to touch the top left corner of the screen until it resets, but it didn't do anything for me.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Other reference points, battery voltage should be at 12.6 to 12.7 with the car off for an extended period of time, try not to read right after shutting down.

Voltage while running is ~14.1-14.4
I'll put a meter on it in the morning before I start it and see what it is cold.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Thanks Bull. And Guys.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
2017 Challenger Hellcat. My center display is going nuts randomly activating radio channels and switching the AC modes and turning the AC off and on rapidly. Any body know how to fix this. Thanks.
You need a new media screen, it is delaminating. I had mine replaced, over a year, ago, on my 2017 Challenger Hellcat. Also, my 2018 Ram had the same problem, about two years, ago. Luckily, I had warranty on both vehicles. The dealer had noted, this is a common occurrence and could switch them out in a short time. The only problem, had to wait weeks to get the part.