Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Atco dragway closed

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I’ve been there…back in the late 80’s. They used to have a nice Mopar Show and Race.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So many memories there from when I was 13-14 years old and older.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Grumpy Jenkins and Jungle Jim's home track.

We were bracket 2 track champions in 1974.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So many memories there from when I was 13-14 years old and older.
I used to go there and english town when it was around. Developer wants land and I bet the land owners will make $$$ and to be honest everyone who isn't a piece of shit should get out of NJ while they can.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
they're dropping like flies :mad:. Yet all the NHRA fan-people/podcasters I frequent will argue to the death how healthy the sport is, based primarily on recent national event sellouts (which are great)...but apparently they skipped ECON 101 and the supply and demand thing - reduce supply and concentrate the demand at remaining venues...and demand appears strong. I have been seeing and saying the sport is dying a slow death for at least the last 10 years.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Let's review the recent dead-body count...Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, West Palm Beach, Denver, Englishtown, ATCO, Phoenix-Speedworld, Fontana

...and the ones I can think of with known uncertain future or already hanging on by a thread on life support: Phoenix-Wild Horse, Chicago, Seattle, Topeka, Sonoma (?), Bradenton, South Georgia (?), Sacramento

Saved only by wealthy racer intervention: Maple Grove, Pomona

Seems very "healthy" to me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Let's review the recent dead-body count...Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, West Palm Beach, Denver, Englishtown, ATCO, Phoenix-Speedworld...

...and the ones I can think of with known uncertain future or already hanging on by a thread on life support: Phoenix-Wild Horse, Chicago, Seattle, Topeka, Sonoma (?), Bradenton, South Georgia (?)

nhra is like the nra, useless till they need donations

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I wonder what track is next? Will any of the tracks I’ve raced at be around much longer? Some of these are already gone but it was great being able to have these tracks available to me and having gone over the finish line at speed on all the following tracks:
New England Dragway
Glens Falls-I think it closed long ago
Lebanon Valley
ESTA Safety Park
Atco- closed
Englishtown-closed
Maple Grove-almost shut down
Cecil County
75-80-closed
Mason Dixon
MIR (Budd’s Creek)
Colonial Beach
Old Dominion-closed
Summer Duck
Richmond Dragway
Virginia Motorsports Park
National Trail

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Cecil and MIR will never close. Lines out the wazooo at those tracks. 75-80 was a clusterfuck. Terris bought the track did massive concrete work and then got told that his permit expired. Fuck that town.

Capitol is slowly coming back to life. Terris is doing what he can. Opened up dirt racing, even built a drift track!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Never raced at Capitol but that track is definitely needed in the DC area

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Let's review the recent dead-body count...Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, West Palm Beach, Denver, Englishtown, ATCO, Phoenix-Speedworld, Fontana

...and the ones I can think of with known uncertain future or already hanging on by a thread on life support: Phoenix-Wild Horse, Chicago, Seattle, Topeka, Sonoma (?), Bradenton, South Georgia (?), Sacramento

South Georgia recently changed hands and the state supports the track.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Yup, another one down, that sucks!

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
That blows! Lotta PB's set there..... Was one of the fastest tracks in the country smfh. And the states wonder why Street Racing has become so popular and basically unenforcable by the Police. Police departments cant even keep up with daily rountine calls for service. They are working with skeleton crews these days.

In fact, the PD I use to work for is now ordering plain clothes detectives to suit up and take post calls now cause they simply have no bodies to fill cars.

In 1994 when I tookm the Police exam there were 4200 ppl that came out with 70 positions to fill for a city of 125k ppl. In 2021 the last exam they gave there were 127 openings and 240 applications!!!! 240! The dept went from 458 members to 241 today.

There are no special details to run to address street racing cause there are no cops to work it. Cops in my old PD are being ordered over 5 days a week and ordered to come in early. Guys are making $250-300k but nonetheless its the same everywhere in the country.

The liberal media has made Law Enforcement an EVIL job to have these days therefore no one applies anymore. Its staggering tho considering u get a pension and its 50% of ur pay including overtime lol dudes are walking out with $100-125k pensions its bonkers that more ppl dont chose to work in LE. Im retired I get free health insurance and a pension with a COLA every year with a minumum of 2.5% increase and a max of 6.5%. The last two years ive gotten 11% rasies combined!

Took me about 7-8 years to get an 11% raise while actually working! Retirement rocks lol.

Not only are more and more tracks being closed Youtube has made street racing a weekley event now everywhere. If state officials really wanna stop all the street racing invest in the tracks that have now closed cause I can guarentee that there are countless dudes that would have gone to the track to race and now simply go to the street cause theyre left with no other option.....

Last edited:

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Has less to do with popularity and more to do with regulations towns and cities demand. Lotta VOTERS hate race tracks and make a big stink everywhere they exist. Only a small fraction of the population likes drag racing and pretty much no one likes hearing cars race loud near their house even if they are a car guy......

Cecil and MIR will never close. Lines out the wazooo at those tracks. 75-80 was a clusterfuck. Terris bought the track did massive concrete work and then got told that his permit expired. Fuck that town.

Capitol is slowly coming back to life. Terris is doing what he can. Opened up dirt racing, even built a drift track!

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
1689773175594.png

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Super sad to see Atco go away. Growing and living 10-20 minutes away from the track and spending many Friday and Saturdays there brings great memories. Looks like Cecil will be my "local" track now and I'm sure only a once a year trip. See ya, Atco! thanks for memories!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
That blows! Lotta PB's set there..... Was one of the fastest tracks in the country smfh. And the states wonder why Street Racing has become so popular and basically unenforcable by the Police. Police departments cant even keep up with daily rountine calls for service. They are working with skeleton crews these days.

In fact, the PD I use to work for is now ordering plain clothes detectives to suit up and take post calls now cause they simply have no bodies to fill cars.

In 1994 when I tookm the Police exam there were 4200 ppl that came out with 70 positions to fill for a city of 125k ppl. In 2021 the last exam they gave there were 127 openings and 240 applications!!!! 240! The dept went from 458 members to 241 today.

There are no special details to run to address street racing cause there are no cops to work it. Cops in my old PD are being ordered over 5 days a week and ordered to come in early. Guys are making $250-300k but nonetheless its the same everywhere in the country.

The liberal media has made Law Enforcement an EVIL job to have these days therefore no one applies anymore. Its staggering tho considering u get a pension and its 50% of ur pay including overtime lol dudes are walking out with $100-125k pensions its bonkers that more ppl dont chose to work in LE. Im retired I get free health insurance and a pension with a COLA every year with a minumum of 2.5% increase and a max of 6.5%. The last two years ive gotten 11% rasies combined!

Took me about 7-8 years to get an 11% raise while actually working! Retirement rocks lol.

Not only are more and more tracks being closed Youtube has made street racing a weekley event now everywhere. If state officials really wanna stop all the street racing invest in the tracks that have now closed cause I can guarentee that there are countless dudes that would have gone to the track to race and now simply go to the street cause theyre left with no other option.....
Street racing will never go away. You could have a track in every city and there would still be street racing. Not having a track close could increase it but I dont see it stopping

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
Front St here they come.
There's a bunch of sketchy racing going on down near the Chatsworth area. (Not exactly but those who know, know) and it's only going to get way worse. And to your point, Front St. will see a lot more "traffic".