Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Atco dragway closed

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
There's a bunch of sketchy racing going on down near the Chatsworth area. (Not exactly but those who know, know) and it's only going to get way worse. And to your point, Front St. will see a lot more "traffic".
I guess now they take your car instead of turning on the fire hydrants and flooding the streets.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
They were supposed to close in 2020, knew it was a matter of time

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
This is kind of what I was going to say! People, the police and the politicians bitch about street racing and the kids taking over the intersections at night but then just kept closing place they can race (whatever kind it is)
They need to keep these places open and build more then they can bitch about street racing and speeding! Ya’s got’s to have a place to blow off steam and get the lead out!!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Let's review the recent dead-body count...Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, West Palm Beach, Denver, Englishtown, ATCO, Phoenix-Speedworld, Fontana

...and the ones I can think of with known uncertain future or already hanging on by a thread on life support: Phoenix-Wild Horse, Chicago, Seattle, Topeka, Sonoma (?), Bradenton, South Georgia (?), Sacramento

Saved only by wealthy racer intervention: Maple Grove, Pomona

Seems very "healthy" to me :rolleyes:
Byron was saved because the owner refused to take the asking price from the Forest Preserve next door.
Held out years to get 2 people who are drag racers to buy the place.

Local 1/4 mile NASCAR track however was sold to a developer. It is done this October and will be demolished for a Wal Mart or some shit

Maybe these people who are dropping 100K plus markups on the Demon 170 can swing to keep these tracks open. What good is a drag car with no track to race it on?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
This is kind of what I was going to say! People, the police and the politicians bitch about street racing and the kids taking over the intersections at night but then just kept closing place they can race (whatever kind it is)
They need to keep these places open and build more then they can bitch about street racing and speeding! Ya’s got’s to have a place to blow off steam and get the lead out!!
New blood will have to open a new place out in the middle of nowhere again.
However, I have heard insurance is stupid expensive on race tracks as well. Something has to give.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
New blood will have to open a new place out in the middle of nowhere again.
However, I have heard insurance is stupid expensive on race tracks as well. Something has to give.
I had to provide my insurance and policy number to be able to go to the all dodge cruise in Pontiac in August

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Unfortunately it’s not just the politics, it’s all about the expense, liability and bottom line of keeping these tracks open

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
So for anyone in the NJ/PA/ DE area, which track will be your go to? I've never raced at either Cecil or Maple Grove but have attended Maple Grove for Summer Nats. Is one better than the other for a street night or track rental? Both are about the same distance from me.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Owner wont speak publicly. Wonder how many event organizers planned for the whole season and now have to refund event money…

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So for anyone in the NJ/PA/ DE area, which track will be your go to? I've never raced at either Cecil or Maple Grove but have attended Maple Grove for Summer Nats. Is one better than the other for a street night or track rental? Both are about the same distance from me.
It's been years since I ran at either one of them. Cecil was called the "traction capital of the world" way back and Maple Grove was always the more formal track stringent on the rules. This is how it was way back. No idea how they are today.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States