Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Corvette E-Ray January 17, 2023

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So let’s see what is bullshit and what is fact.

Because I have a reservation on a Z06 and don’t want to make a mistake for that amount of money. I really don’t care what the animal is, I just want the best value, okay?

1. Drag race C8 Z06 VS Porsche GT3

2. Now the track. Because everything I have seen and have read about the Z06 seems to be that it beats about anything that we have seen on a track. Porsche and others need to be real worried. This kid is a pretty fair driver, but whoever was in the GT3 RS was no slouch.

Start at the 4:00 mark and watch a new Chevy DESTROY a GT3 RS!!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Because I have a reservation on a Z06 and don’t want to make a mistake for that amount of money. I really don’t care what the animal is, I just want the best value, okay?

2. Now the track. Because everything I have seen and have read about the Z06 seems to be that it beats about anything that we have seen on a track. Porsche and others need to be real worried. This kid is a pretty fair driver, but whoever was in the GT3 RS was no slouch.

Guess I'm in trouble when my wife gets her Z06:eek:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It seems like a tough animal. Be careful, you might like it! I want to keep my Dodge too truth be told, it is a cool car. Gotta keep making some cash!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ya know what is embarrassing? Hope the Viper early in that video was not trying!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It seems like a tough animal. Be careful, you might like it! I want to keep my Dodge too truth be told, it is a cool car. Gotta keep making some cash!
It's not that I don't like the stock C8...(drive it for a few months and there's nothing really not to like)...and it's not even a fair comparison between the Challengers and the C8..they are such different animals...guess I never looked good wearin a bowtie...

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
....they are such different animals......
Yep. Powerful big car or powerful sports car. That choice has almost always been there. Not really different now. If you can afford both, even better.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Sorry to be late to this thread, I would like to comment on the original topic.

Dodge already has a FWD system for the Challenger. Seems it would not be a far stretch to plop in a 500hp V6 or I6 driving the rears and electrics on the fronts for another 200hp.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
You have driven or seen a C8 Z06 against a GT3 on a track to support your statements or is it just your opinion?
Have not driven a c8 z06 balls to the wall but I have a 992 gt3.

Also the track times support it, look how quickly porsche releases their track times, meanwhile the c8 z06 is being produced and people are taking delivery of them with no release of the nurburgring times.

Obviously you can argue price difference as the gt3 is msrp in the 200s and retail value in the high 2s low 3s but the c8 z06 is on par with the 991.2 gt3 (last gen)

Z06 w/z07 unofficial time of 7:12
992 gt3 official time 6:49

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
The 992 Turbo S is one I was eyeballing, but I'd probably forgo the carbon ceramic brakes. I keep cars too long to wanna have to replace those. I was watching some on BAT to see what the gently used market looked like and it was more reasonable that I thought for a car that starts at like $280K new?

I'm glad to see Chevy doing something cool and new with the Vette. May inspire some other American manufacturers. I'd be in for a hybrid (performance type) before I'd be in for an EV. Porche already did this a few years ago with the 918.

I definitely wouldn't wanna be an early adopter though. Those folks will be guinea pigs I bet.
See for me it really depends on what you are doing with the car as far as ceramic goes, if you want an all around car i.e drag strip, track, street car then the carbon ceramics don't make sense. But if it's purely a track car where lap times are what you are chasing then I would go carbon ceramic but at that point you are probably going after a gt3 or gt3rs versus a turbo.

To me the turbo s is basically what corvette is trying to achieve with the e-ray albeit at a much lower cost.

Unfortunately porsche and the germans are typically far ahead of their american counterparts, obviously this comes at a cost seeing as how a well optioned 992 turbo s is probably in the 300+ range.

In my opinion you will love the 992 turbo, you can compete with a demon on street tires at the strip or you can go balls to the wall with dedicated road course cars, and you will beat the tar off 99.9% of the cars you meet on the street as well as many bikes off the line

It's a well designed car and a 9 second let alone 10 second daily was unheard of 10 years ago. The scary part is that the Germans are very mod friendly as well and can get even nastier, but they are quite a bit more expensive to mod both on the parts and tuning side.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Brother, a 992 gt3 is not a car you drag race.
The car is like 500hp, it's a purpose built track car, you seem to do road courses a lot so that's the comparison I'm making, if you want to run a drag race pull a 992 turbo s out and it runs the z06 and eray off the road, most likely the zora/zr1 will barely be able to keep pace.

And for the z07 the 992 gt3rs is even nastier than the gt3, (even tho the z07 can't even compete with the gt3 on the track)

You can't compare porsche and corvette, the porsche makes you pay but they sure as hell deliver.

I'm not knocking down the z06 but rather saying with the way markups are I would rather have a gt3 or turbo s than a z06.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
See for me it really depends on what you are doing with the car as far as ceramic goes, if you want an all around car i.e drag strip, track, street car then the carbon ceramics don't make sense. But if it's purely a track car where lap times are what you are chasing then I would go carbon ceramic but at that point you are probably going after a gt3 or gt3rs versus a turbo.

To me the turbo s is basically what corvette is trying to achieve with the e-ray albeit at a much lower cost.

Unfortunately porsche and the germans are typically far ahead of their american counterparts, obviously this comes at a cost seeing as how a well optioned 992 turbo s is probably in the 300+ range.

In my opinion you will love the 992 turbo, you can compete with a demon on street tires at the strip or you can go balls to the wall with dedicated road course cars, and you will beat the tar off 99.9% of the cars you meet on the street as well as many bikes off the line

It's a well designed car and a 9 second let alone 10 second daily was unheard of 10 years ago. The scary part is that the Germans are very mod friendly as well and can get even nastier, but they are quite a bit more expensive to mod both on the parts and tuning side.
All valid points...if they only weren't so damn expensive...every variant of the 911 is just crazy money...that's even if you can get one

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
That's a big pass from me. I'm not sure if I can get in and out without cracking my head open. I watch some old guys at car meets crawl in and out of them.
With 5 back operations, it's a big no for me.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
All valid points...if they only weren't so damn expensive...every variant of the 911 is just crazy money...that's even if you can get one
America has always been the best bang for buck in my opinion.

Germans are early adopters and high performance but it comes at a heavy cost. Worth it if you can afford it but you also could probably have multiple toys as compared to one swiss army knife. I also find a lot of german and italian owners to be snobbish but that's just personal experience.

But circling back to the carbon ceramics, there's a few knocks on them for example their bite below 40 degrees, efficiency on the street compared to steel brakes, and ultimately cost.

Personally If I'm buying a turbo or carrera I'm probably avoiding them but when you get a gt3 or something to that extent it's almost a knock on resale value if you have the option and don't get em. Also I believe the newer steel brakes are so good there's really little discernible difference between ccb and steel. So the ccb's are really more of a want than must, unfortunately porsche enthusiasts are nuts that can hardly be reasoned with, one of the reasons you see full ppf porsches. (which cost 10k btw)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have not driven a c8 z06 balls to the wall but I have a 992 gt3.

Also the track times support it, look how quickly porsche releases their track times, meanwhile the c8 z06 is being produced and people are taking delivery of them with no release of the nurburgring times.

Obviously you can argue price difference as the gt3 is msrp in the 200s and retail value in the high 2s low 3s but the c8 z06 is on par with the 991.2 gt3 (last gen)

Z06 w/z07 unofficial time of 7:12
992 gt3 official time 6:49
It’s all good. Enjoy your Porsche. If I could win the lottery, I would need one. Someone is going to go drive it in Germany soon, even if Chevy don’t want to release their lap times, for some reason. One thing we know, it gets MUCH better lap times than a C7. From a few videos recently here on some USA tracks, it seems to consistently do what that video above shows, just sayin. If my dealer keeps his word, and the allocations happen, one at MSRP seems like a deal to not refuse.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
It’s all good. Enjoy your Porsche. If I could win the lottery, I would need one. Someone is going to go drive it in Germany soon, even if Chevy don’t want to release their lap times, for some reason. One thing we know, it gets MUCH better lap times than a C7. From a few videos recently here on some USA tracks, it seems to consistently do what that video above shows, just sayin. If my dealer keeps his word, and the allocations happen, one at MSRP seems like a deal to not refuse.
At msrp I'm 100% in agreement that the z06 is the better buy. I can't justify spending 80-120k extra on a gt3 versus a z06...... but with markups it's a very valid concern. Personally I don't think the c8 z06 is worth anything near 250-300.

As far as track time goes I would genuinely like to see them run the car so we can get an accurate benchmark of how the car stands up against the competition.

Overall on paper I think chevy did an amazing job, in reality and practically they are having some issues so the success of the car remains to be seen but good job on design + engineering so far.

I'm also in the boat of waiting for my allocation for the z06, but I have a sinking feeling with the way markups are going I'm gonna get smacked with a premium at which point I'll bite the bullet and flip immediately for a profit or walk altogether.

The thing that irks me is that chevy is awarding dealers with dealer ordered specs and they are marking them up with heavy premiums, I understand market conditions but would be lying if I didn't think ethically chevy shouldn't crack down on this behavior.... not everyone is buying to resell lol.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
At msrp I'm 100% in agreement that the z06 is the better buy. I can't justify spending 80-120k extra on a gt3 versus a z06...... but with markups it's a very valid concern. Personally I don't think the c8 z06 is worth anything near 250-300.

As far as track time goes I would genuinely like to see them run the car so we can get an accurate benchmark of how the car stands up against the competition.

Overall on paper I think chevy did an amazing job, in reality and practically they are having some issues so the success of the car remains to be seen but good job on design + engineering so far.

I'm also in the boat of waiting for my allocation for the z06, but I have a sinking feeling with the way markups are going I'm gonna get smacked with a premium at which point I'll bite the bullet and flip immediately for a profit or walk altogether.

The thing that irks me is that chevy is awarding dealers with dealer ordered specs and they are marking them up with heavy premiums, I understand market conditions but would be lying if I didn't think ethically chevy shouldn't crack down on this behavior.... not everyone is buying to resell lol.
And more confusing and causing some of us to consider what is best and back to the thread, they now have this E-ray which seems even a bit quicker for driving around on the street. The one thing I am watching close is for any failures or problems as folks track them now. I know the Porsches are rock solid and dependable, but what about this new product. My bro from another mother in Dallas has three Porsches, one is the GT3RS and he loves it. They can corner if a guy has the balls, and experience!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
@ MSRP...it's a world class bargain..

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
0-60 2.5 seconds quarter mile 10.5 655hp
Yup.
Now stuff that into a revised Challenger/Charger and have a go
The I6TT HO makes more HP than the LT2 as well. Dodge could be cooking something like this up, but nothing about it has been leaked so IDK.

Maybe to keep the hype up for the last call cars which seems to be stagnant at the moment. Still over 3k Hellcat Challengers available to order and its the end of January.

200hp motor with the 510hp I6, maybe turn it up to 600
Get eMPG in the 60s or 70s but then on full twerk it will run a 2.6 60ft and a 9.99 ET on pump gas and regular summer tires to blow the Demon out of the water.

But lets build an all EV Charger that none of our fans/customers want :rolleyes:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
And more confusing and causing some of us to consider what is best and back to the thread, they now have this E-ray which seems even a bit quicker for driving around on the street. The one thing I am watching close is for any failures or problems as folks track them now. I know the Porsches are rock solid and dependable, but what about this new product. My bro from another mother in Dallas has three Porsches, one is the GT3RS and he loves it. They can corner if a guy has the balls, and experience!
I think the other thing with the z06 is the flat plane crank which sounds like a 458, that plus the weight distribution, Don't shoot the messenger but it looks to me like corvette updated and repackaged a ferrari 458.

Yeah if ur buddy is tracking his cars and is chasing every tenth of a second plus has the money to not care then porsche is 100% the way to go, I'll send you a video of the new gt3rs if ur a track guy you will love it, you can control every little part of the car it is almost video game like. Probably one of the closest street legal race car like experiences.

I think the eray is done in part to bolster the mpg for the corvette lineup and to try and make a faster car, whether we like it or not we all understand a well done hybrid powertrain is gonna be faster than any straight up ice engine, especially if you add awd to the mix. I think the goal here is adding awd allows them to be used more often and thus people don't feel like the corvette is purely a summer/dry toy.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think the other thing with the z06 is the flat plane crank which sounds like a 458, that plus the weight distribution, Don't shoot the messenger but it looks to me like corvette updated and repackaged a ferrari 458.

Yeah if ur buddy is tracking his cars and is chasing every tenth of a second plus has the money to not care then porsche is 100% the way to go, I'll send you a video of the new gt3rs if ur a track guy you will love it, you can control every little part of the car it is almost video game like. Probably one of the closest street legal race car like experiences.

I think the eray is done in part to bolster the mpg for the corvette lineup and to try and make a faster car, whether we like it or not we all understand a well done hybrid powertrain is gonna be faster than any straight up ice engine, especially if you add awd to the mix. I think the goal here is adding awd allows them to be used more often and thus people don't feel like the corvette is purely a summer/dry toy.
Ha, I won’t shoot because I 110% agree. It is a Ferrari in disguise.

Yes, the main thought is getting the car to track it. I’ll take any road course videos, feedback and ideas! Having a good day because I just got word they are building my SRT Durango in the next couple of weeks. I need to get down to Texas and ride and drive my friends’ toys, he has told me how incredible the cars are, especially the GT3 RS. The one item he also points out is the minimum of problems with them even as they are used on the tracks. That is what we want to know about these new items from GM, huh?