Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Delayed Transmission Engagement into Drive

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
Thread Starter #21
Just received an update from the dealership and FCA has approved replacing the valve body. The parts are scheduled to arrive next week Wednesday, so I should have the car back by next Friday. It does not appear that "Dodge Cares" had any to do with getting this approved and I have not heard back from Rob since I sent him a direct message yesterday evening. I will keep everyone posted on the end result, so if any other HC owner has a similar problem this thread will help them get their cars fixed as well.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Just received an update from the dealership and FCA has approved replacing the valve body. The parts are scheduled to arrive next week Wednesday, so I should have the car back by next Friday. It does not appear that "Dodge Cares" had any to do with getting this approved and I have not heard back from Rob since I sent him a direct message yesterday evening. I will keep everyone posted on the end result, so if any other HC owner has a similar problem this thread will help them get their cars fixed as well.
Hi Chevyave, We apologize for the delayed response. We responded to your DM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.
Rob
Dodge Cares

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Rob,

I have sent you another DM and I must say I have been disappointed that five days have passed before you responded and no one from your office has contacted the dealer on my behalf. Again, I am going to outline the good and the bad in regards to this issue to the members on this forum, so this is your company's opportunity to step up and take care of a loyal customer that has spent a significant amount of money on your vehicles over the past 15 years.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Rob,

I have sent you another DM and I must say I have been disappointed that five days have passed before you responded and no one from your office has contacted the dealer on my behalf. Again, I am going to outline the good and the bad in regards to this issue to the members on this forum, so this is your company's opportunity to step up and take care of a loyal customer that has spent a significant amount of money on your vehicles over the past 15 years.
I know of no one on the forum that has actually received actual help from the Dodgecares people. They love to chime in for the PCness but unfortunately this seems to be the typical result unless DM magic is happening and no one is reporting back here afterwards.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
I completely agree. If Rob from "Dodge Cares" really wanted to help he would have stepped in last week or at least by Monday morning. Regardless, he can change everyone's mind about his disingenuous offer to assist by actively getting involved.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
The good thing about this problem is it does it every time, so the dealer has no problem replicating the problem. This particular case has been escalated to a STAR rep. whatever that means. Why they just don't change out the valve body is beyond me. Simple and easy task. If that doesn't fix the problem then the whole transmission needs to get replaced.
Transmission for these cars are not serviced at the dealer. They are exchanged out and sent back to evaluate the problem.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
They are currently replacing the valve body to the transmission and it will be serviced at the dealer because everything is accessible through the pan. If that doesn't fix the problem then we will have a discussion/fight about replacing the entire transmission.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
They are currently replacing the valve body to the transmission and it will be serviced at the dealer because everything is accessible through the pan. If that doesn't fix the problem then we will have a discussion/fight about replacing the entire transmission.
OK Yours is the first I have heard of going into the trans. Hope it is the fix for you

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
The car is ready for pickup this evening. The dealer is already indicating this has not completely resolved the problem because the transmission has to go through the "relearn" process. Funny how my 2020 WB HC Charger that arrived with 10 miles on the odometer didn't require that process and shifted perfectly from purchase. Regardless, I will pick it up this evening and post how it now acts. I have a feeling this battle is not over.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Well that totally sucks and can totally understand the frustration and sincerely hope the best for you.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
I picked up the car from the dealer and they replaced the valve body with part number RL261587AA, which retails for roughly 2K, so this is not an inexpensive part. Initial impressions is the car is finally fixed, but I will cold start it again tomorrow morning and then spend the next few weeks retesting. I have my fingers crossed, but it appears this ordeal is finally resolved. I will report my final impressions just so anyone else that is experiencing this problem will have some details to give to their dealer. I believe the dealer in my case, Frisco Dodge, does deserve some recognition for getting these repairs facilitated. It still frustrates me that this process had to be this difficult, but that negative probably belongs to FCA whom didn't want to make the 2K investment in my vehicle without some arm twisting.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
First cold start this morning yielded a perfect shift from Park into Drive. That is the first time this car has acted properly since purchase. This weekend I will put some miles on the car and retest, but everything is looking positive so far.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Congratulations!

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
As an update, I have driven my car several times and the engagement issue is solved with the replacement transmission valve body. The delayed shift I was experiencing between 2nd and 3rd gears under WOT is also gone. Not sure if the 2-3 shift issue will show up again, but for now the car functions perfectly.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
As an update, I have driven my car several times and the engagement issue is solved with the replacement transmission valve body. The delayed shift I was experiencing between 2nd and 3rd gears under WOT is also gone. Not sure if the 2-3 shift issue will show up again, but for now the car functions perfectly.
All's well...that ends well....

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
good to see a happy ending

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Sounds like the valve body had a c solenoid concern from what your saying about the 2-3 shift , the c clutches are applied in drive and also during the 2-3 shift so I makes since that delayed up shift was corrected as well