Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

EPA cracking down on performance tuning

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
Kooks is now asking for a signed waiver and your VIN number.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yeah this could be a problem. If they threaten to put tuners in jail, that could make things a lot more difficult. My car still has cats and all the emissions equipment installed, plus a catch can for extra measure ;)

In July of 2018 the people here voted to end emission testing. It makes no sense to have to sit in line, pay money to have a car tested prior to renewing the license plate, when the car is brand new with a 10 year emission system warranty. Here it is 2021 (3 years later) and yep I had to sit in line yesterday to get the Hellcat to pass emissions to get the plate renewed. Seems three years later the paper work hasn't completed all the necessary steps.

They do not do a tail pipe test here on 1996 (I think that's right) and newer vehicles. On OBDII they just plug up and check for readiness of the emission monitors. I've been working on the car, and yep had to drive around to get the monitors to set, so I burned fuel so I could pass an emisisons test. Brilliant LOL.

As for E85, it does burn much cleaner than gasoline so if where you are does a tail pipe test it should be no problem, but if they do an OBDII test it will depend on how the tune is setup I believe. There are some tweaks to oxygen sensors and a couple other things to get it really working well that may impact some of the readiness monitors. I need to test that myself. I simply loaded my 93 tune to pass this year rather than fool with the flex tune passing.
Is that state wide or is it because you are close to Nashville? When I lived in Denver I had to have that done but the surrounding areas didn't.
They were talking on bringing it to the Grand Rapids area awhile back and even built some stations but decided not to. I'm in the next county so it would not have effected me

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's by county. My buddy lives 30 mins away and no emissions. Complete bs.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Kooks is now asking for a signed waiver and your VIN number.
What does the waiver say? Do you have a copy?

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
What does the waiver say? Do you have a copy?
No, member on another forum reported that Kooks wouldn't send his order without a signed waiver and VIN. I assume the waiver says car will only be use "off road".

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I thought cow farts was the number 1 production of green house gasses ???

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
No, member on another forum reported that Kooks wouldn't send his order without a signed waiver and VIN. I assume the waiver says car will only be use "off road".
I'll bet EPA gets a copy of that.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Possibly.... but I dont think waiver is the correct term if that is what they're asking for (a commitment to off road use only). I'd characterise it as a contract and predicate the sale of the part on the buyers contractually affirmed legally binding commitment it will be used only in the approved manner. I don't think they'll require it to be sent to the EPA - more likely have to keep it on file permanently at the sellers offices. Indexed.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just went through their site and found no evidence of it, but of course they may not have updated yet. I'm a big fan of Kooks and they're the only headers I use. I was most interested in their "unauthorized dealers" warnings. You're on your own if you buy from Amazon or Maryland Speed, etc... lol Good for Kooks.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I don't think EPA is going to make any drastic moves untill this lawsuit is over. If they win this; look out. They will come down on the tuning world like a ton of bricks.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't think EPA is going to make any drastic moves until this lawsuit is over. If they win this; look out. They will come down on the tuning world like a ton of bricks.
The green elements have the house, senate and presidency behind them right now, they won't be slowing down. The law as currently written lets them hammer just as hard as they care to. They haven't even gotten to their green new deal legislation yet, and they will ram it through.

OP
mopar madness

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thread Starter #54
I don't think EPA is going to make any drastic moves untill this lawsuit is over. If they win this; look out. They will come down on the tuning world like a ton of bricks.
thi
I don't think EPA is going to make any drastic moves untill this lawsuit is over. If they win this; look out. They will come down on the tuning world like a ton of bricks.[/QUOTE this sucks, my warranty just expired last month, i better get my mods done ASAP

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whoever wrote that doesn't know the ins and outs of courts, but they got most of the salient parts correct. And, yes, I am all for legal compliance. If you break the law, don't whine and moan when you get caught. If you disagree with the law, try and get it changed. Just because you personally disagree with something in the law does not give you the right to break any more than it gives joe-stick-up-man the right to take the money out of the till at the 7-11 because he thinks he should be able to. We have ways of changing laws in this country, and always have. If enough people agree, it can be changed.

Not impressed wtih EZ - I'm sure all that shit is made in China, use Indian or Malaysian call centers and web services, and they're headquartered in the Caymans as a tax haven. So, no American jobs, no paying American taxes, and zero respect for the law (but I wager they live here, you bet). And they're pretty stupid into the bargain - if they're on forums helping folks use their equipment to break the law, that's pretty much a slam dunk.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Tina Smith’s Office writes this dismissive note back. It basically says fuck off, the other side wants cleaner air and electric cars, and your modifications making your car a RACE CAR are tilting us towards not being able to breathe.

SHE AND AMY WILL VOTE WITH THE BLUE SIDE. THEY VOTE 100% WITH THE DEMOCRATS IN THE SENATE, NO MATTER WHAT, AND NO MATTER WHAT ANY OPINIONS ARE SENT TO THEM.

What she does not understand is that MN has one of the most used drag strips in the country, and it is used by mostly drag racing cars but also road racers, drifters, autocross and aftermarket displays and shows. I will imagine especially the fan favorite annual NHRA Nationals gives central MN one very large economic boost also. That week is shared with drag racing of every type of car A-Z in Brainerd, as are other events throughout the year.

I say her or her original side kick are serving their last term in Washington, someone will beat out one of them in this state. The areas outside of New Somalia are basically very conservative and hate the unbalanced representation we have in DC right now.

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me about the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
Greenhouse gas and fuel economy standards play an important role in helping to reduce emissions in motor vehicles and encourage the development of alternative fuels. Currently, the Clean Air Act, which oversees air pollution from motor vehicles, limits the ability of street vehicle owners to convert their cars, trucks, and motorcycles into racecars. Those in the amateur motorsports community argue that the practice of converting street cars into motorsports vehicles is an American tradition, and that the Clean Air Act should not apply to vehicles used exclusively for competition. Others believe that the carbon emissions and air pollution from converted racecars mean that these vehicles should be subject to the same Clean Air Act emissions rules as other vehicles.
The RPM Act has been introduced in the Senate, and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am not a member. This is an important issue for Minnesotans in the motorsports community, as well as for those concerned about greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. I will continue listening to both sides and keep your views in mind if the RPM Act comes before the Senate for a vote.
Thank you again for contacting me, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tina Smith’s Office writes this dismissive note back. It basically says fuck off, the other side wants cleaner air and electric cars, and your modifications making your car a RACE CAR are tilting us towards not being able to breathe.

SHE AND AMY WILL VOTE WITH THE BLUE SIDE. THEY VOTE 100% WITH THE DEMOCRATS IN THE SENATE, NO MATTER WHAT, AND NO MATTER WHAT ANY OPINIONS ARE SENT TO THEM.

What she does not understand is that MN has one of the most used drag strips in the country, and it is used by mostly drag racing cars but also road racers, drifters, autocross and aftermarket displays and shows. I will imagine especially the fan favorite annual NHRA Nationals gives central MN one very large economic boost also. That week is shared with drag racing of every type of car A-Z in Brainerd, as are other events throughout the year.

I say her or her original side kick are serving their last term in Washington, someone will beat out one of them in this state. The areas outside of New Somalia are basically very conservative and hate the unbalanced representation we have in DC right now.

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me about the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
Greenhouse gas and fuel economy standards play an important role in helping to reduce emissions in motor vehicles and encourage the development of alternative fuels. Currently, the Clean Air Act, which oversees air pollution from motor vehicles, limits the ability of street vehicle owners to convert their cars, trucks, and motorcycles into racecars. Those in the amateur motorsports community argue that the practice of converting street cars into motorsports vehicles is an American tradition, and that the Clean Air Act should not apply to vehicles used exclusively for competition. Others believe that the carbon emissions and air pollution from converted racecars mean that these vehicles should be subject to the same Clean Air Act emissions rules as other vehicles.
The RPM Act has been introduced in the Senate, and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am not a member. This is an important issue for Minnesotans in the motorsports community, as well as for those concerned about greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. I will continue listening to both sides and keep your views in mind if the RPM Act comes before the Senate for a vote.
Thank you again for contacting me, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.
MN in the same boat as IL now, the metro controls the state, we're screwed.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Weather, you a legit meteorologist?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
MN in the same boat as IL now, the metro controls the state, we're screwed.
Maybe they will burn the remainder of Minneapolis down soon?

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Maybe they will burn the remainder of Minneapolis down soon?
They reinstated the 3rd degree murder charge, they are worried.