Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Factory OEM pads are no more

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
After only 300 miles I could not take the dust anymore. Yes all 4 corners. 8EE334A0-9938-49D4-AE90-1A0B2D1966A5.jpeg

StingrayZ51

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lindenhurst
State
IL
Country
United States
I swapped all 4 out around the same time but honestly I’m thinking about switching back. Not impressed after a few hard stops at speed. And I bedded them in properly. Definitely not as fade resistant as the Brembo pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I swapped all 4 out around the same time but honestly I’m thinking about switching back. Not impressed after a few hard stops at speed. And I bedded them in properly. Definitely not as fade resistant as the Brembo pads.

I could not take the dust and performance is about the same IMVHO. I did the same for my 2015 and have never regretted it.

I have the OEM pads if you wasn’t to buy them.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I ordered mine two days ago, should be arriving tomorrow. I dealt with the massive dust from the originals on my '15 for over 13K miles....ain't doing that again.

HellcatMike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Where did you order those from?

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
HHP has a coupon on here...I got my new pads in 2 days....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Gentlemen,

(.02 ahead)

Having been through many sets of Z23s and Z26s and also swapping back and forth with the OE pads...

The Powerstops require HEAVY bedding, not only heavier than what the box asks for, but also at least twice.

It goes without saying, take great care when doing this, allowing for the possibility of significant brake AND fluid fade during the bedding process. Again, take great care of others and yourself if you do this. No other cars or obstacles in your way as well as more safety margin than you need.

You will have MUCH better performance from them.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Where did you order those from?
I ordered mine from Rockauto. They were cheaper than Amazon even with shipping charges for me.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Having switched over to the Z23 pads from stock I did notice a big difference in pedal feel. Stock Brembo pads are way better on the Hellcat . My Scat Pack I had put the EBC Red Stuff pads on and could not tell the difference in pedal feel and stopping distance. Going to put the EBC Red Stuff on the Hellcat RedEye when it comes in.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
try just going back to OEM on the rear first. very little dust from the rear an better braking.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Gentlemen,

(.02 ahead)

Having been through many sets of Z23s and Z26s and also swapping back and forth with the OE pads...

The Powerstops require HEAVY bedding, not only heavier than what the box asks for, but also at least twice.

It goes without saying, take great care when doing this, allowing for the possibility of significant brake AND fluid fade during the bedding process. Again, take great care of others and yourself if you do this. No other cars or obstacles in your way as well as more safety margin than you need.

You will have MUCH better performance from them.
Thanks. I’ll redo the break in today.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Once the break in material is worn off the pads a second or third break in is not going to help unless you take them off and sand them with some 80 grit sandpaper. Scuff the rotors up to then go out and hit the brakes like the box says.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The topic of Brake bedding actually gets complex, as there are multiple things happening during bedding.

There is also fundamental differences between bedding Consumer and Performance level pads, I would encourage people to find this information (that way you don't have to put your faith in me).

The one other thing I will say is that if you're using a Performance pad and after properly bedding it, you don't use it at it's correct operating temperature, you will "unbed" the pad by removing the transfered pad material from the rotor instead of maintaining it.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
I just did a rotor and pad replacement on the wife's Kia Sportage last week. I just bought a "kit" that came with all 4 rotors, and Power Stop pads for 150 bucks (cheap compared to HC's) ...anyway, they were basically Z23 pads and I just followed the bedding procedure on the box. Speed to 30 mph, and apply brakes down to 5 mph without stopping. wait 30 seconds for rotors too cool a bit and do it again. They want you to do this 30 times!! I did it maybe 10 to 12 times and the brakes are doing fine. I'm hoping that it will go as smoothly on the HC, but I have 500 miles on the rotors and I'm not planning on replacing those! I may scuff them a little after I install the new pads.....

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just got all the Z26 pads installed yesterday, and of course it decided to rain today so I still need to do the "bedding" procedure.

Just like everyone said, it took way longer to get the car jacked up, clean up the caliper and wheels than it took to install the pads. I got an extra set of hardware for my front pads in the box...not sure why - guess it was a mistake from Powerstop since pins and spring plates in both packs were identical. The instruction sheet they provide isn't for Brembo style calipers at all...

When I took the OEM brake pads out, the only lube I saw on anything was a light film on the back of each brake pad, so I used the provided silicon lube by Powerstop and did the same prior to installing the Z26's. Everything else was bone dry...all the pins and plates.

The OEM Bembo pads still looked like new after I removed them, so I marked each set as to which caliper they were in and put them on the shelf.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just got done testing it out with the new pads. I did some fairly hard stops speeding up to 30 then down to 5 without fully stopping with 30 second breaks in between. Did that around 12 times along with a couple of hard stops from 50 to 10 or so. No speaks, creeks or anything weird.

My opinion is these Z26's aren't nearly as "grabby" as the Brembos, but I think it makes the brakes seem more predictable on the street because of it. Of course, for a road course the Brembos would be the better choice, but I don't road race ...so I think I'll be fine with these.

-BTW....did I mention how damn huge, heavy (and WIDE) these wheels and tires are?!? I just didn't realize until I took one off. These things are a pain to take off and put on. Made my '15 Hellcat with the 275's seem easy in comparison.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I replaced the Brembo pads about 1300 miles ago. I went with the Power Stop Z 23 and Z 26. Yeah, at first they didn't have the stopping power that I was accustomed to but 1300 miles later, I can put my passenger through the windshield. Oh yeah, 99% less brake dust.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
If you regularly put passenger through windshield, maybe a better option is to invest in ejection seat and save on cost of replacing windshield so often.