Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

FI Supercharger spacer and blanket issue

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Spacers should be here tomorrow so may be able to do it Saturday

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Spacers should be here tomorrow so may be able to do it Saturday
I can't wait to see / hear how you get the stock dowels out , not sure if using a penetrating spray will help or make it too slick to clamp on with vise grips ? … Good luck !

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Heat it up a bit.

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #84
There’s no room to use penetrating oil. Those things are pressed in there really good. I guess it won’t hurt to try it.
I tried heating One up and that didn’t seem to work. I ended up having to Drill that one out with a drill.

The one that came out “easier” I grabbed with vise grips and just spun it from side to side. stopping every once in a while to get a better bite on the dowel With the vise grips.

Just be patient and you’ll get it. It took me 2 days to get them out, when I would start to get really frustrated and angry I would walk away from the job for a while.

one other tip, I trimmed the heating blanket along the seam where the snout mounts to the blower and I made sure to leave the bots exposed. this way If I decide to do a pulley swap down the road I can separate the snout from the blower without having to remove the heating blanket. Hopefully the pictures will show what I mean.

Attachments

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
There’s no room to use penetrating oil. Those things are pressed in there really good. I guess it won’t hurt to try it.
I tried heating One up and that didn’t seem to work. I ended up having to Drill that one out with a drill.

The one that came out “easier” I grabbed with vise grips and just spun it from side to side. stopping every once in a while to get a better bite on the dowel With the vise grips.

Just be patient and you’ll get it. It took me 2 days to get them out, when I would start to get really frustrated and angry I would walk away from the job for a while.

one other tip, I trimmed the heating blanket along the seam where the snout mounts to the blower and I made sure to leave the bots exposed. this way If I decide to do a pulley swap down the road I can separate the snout from the blower without having to remove the heating blanket. Hopefully the pictures will show what I mean.
I wonder if it would be as good to just put shorter dowels in the head & not take out the ones in the s/c ?
where the 2 sides would split the difference within the spacer.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Either a heat gun and easy out. You really don't want to tap em out. Much damage. Pipe fitters 26 20 years. Had some old bad situations.

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #88
I wonder if it would be as good to just put shorter dowels in the head & not take out the ones in the s/c ?
That shows some great ingenuity on your part but in my opinion that won’t be good enough.

Here’s why. the holes on the spacers where the dowels go are machined too big. Theres too much play because of this Therefore the dowels won’t be as precise and you’ll still have side to side play between the motor and the blower.

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #89
I don’t know what an easy out is.

Trust me, I don’t recommend drilling them out like I did. I was shitting my pants When I did it because I didn’t want to Change any of the tolerances machined from the factory. I had no choice, the dowel was so chewed up that I couldn’t grab it with the vice grips anymore.

just take your time, check and re check what you are doing.
I don’t think a Heat gun Will get the job done. I used one of those hand held propane torches from Home Depot

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #90
I thought about that too ? .. on s/c , not dowel.
Dont heat up the dowels, it’ll make them soft and as soon as you put the vice grips on them they’ll turn to mush.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That shows some great ingenuity on your part but in my opinion that won’t be good enough.

Here’s why. the holes on the spacers where the dowels go are machined too big. Theres too much play because of this Therefore the dowels won’t be as precise and you’ll still have side to side play between the motor and the blower.
Yeah your right , & I like what you did with the blanket , I did my spacers & blanket b4 I did my pulley , about a year later & I had to cut at the seem & push back the edges around the bolts. I wish would have just done it all at once but I wasn't ready yet LOL.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That's why you use a hair dryer or heat gun,, if you live up north, not a torch from home depot. Way too hot. Like the man said take your time,, throw a bud light in there every 39 minutes. 39 is as long as it is going to take to get one out. Wish I was there to help. Pulling old pipes and mechanical parts apart for years. I will be interested in how you do it cause i will be just as frustated myself. I do have my own blanket which I used in the same manner.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
We will see. If it looks to be tootough then they might just stay in

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Why knot.

Felt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Philadelphia
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Challenger
Also @16GoManGoHC2 noted on other posts to make sure you don't cover two relief ports with the blanket or the oil pressure build up won't be able to breathe and you will have problems. He will probably chime in if he sees this.

OP
Alain

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #96
Also @16GoManGoHC2 noted on other posts to make sure you don't cover two relief ports with the blanket or the oil pressure build up won't be able to breathe and you will have problems. He will probably chime in if he sees this.
Never heard of this. I don’t remember seeing any ports on the bottom of the supercharger.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
These, they are breathers connected to gear case and are right behind the seals on the firewall side of the rotors. 5BFF323F-342E-4EF6-9322-5190EE03247C.jpeg 34ED0A0E-57CF-4C74-A1F0-C602C81E4AC1.png

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
These, they are breathers connected to gear case and are right behind the seals on the firewall side of the rotors. View attachment 18508 View attachment 18509
So are these breathers on the bottom or on the end side at firewall ?...I don't remember seeing these but I wasn't looking for them either.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You can see them uncovered in this pic also. Sounds like they need to put some instruction of do and don't with them unnamed.jpg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I felt good about how I did the FI spacers till I started seeing this thread , now I feel like I need to start over.
FI didn't say any thing about these vents & to not cover them & they said the dowels were no issue that the bolts would hold just fine. Now I don't know who to believe or if I need to redo ?