Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford Won't Give "Unauthorized Tuners" Access To 2024 Mustang

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Oh Mag, I don’t really care either. Don’t have a hat in the ring. I was just replying to the concept of someone who deliberately changes the calibration or worse modifications, then has a problem and as suggested above files suit against the manufacturer. I really think the manufacturer goes free. If they have made extraordinary efforts to their systems to avoid modifications, they should not be liable. That is just my opinion and you actually have a good reason above that I would forward in their defense.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
It's about avoiding liability. If a crash happens bc someone hacked the cars systems, the lawsuit will name Ford as a defendant. Corporate doesn't care about the rest. Legal liability is driving every bit of this.
Or just turn off wifi?

I don't like all these updates just randomly showing up on my radio. If you keep it to just a cable connection, then how the hell is someone going to hack into the car?

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
If I had one of these.. the first thing I’d do aside PPF is paint that plastic that runs along the headlights and grille mesh Gloss Black. That would make it look so much nicer right off the back. Not sure why they didn’t use a black plastic

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Oh Mag, I don’t really care either. Don’t have a hat in the ring. I was just replying to the concept of someone who deliberately changes the calibration or worse modifications, then has a problem and as suggested above files suit against the manufacturer. I really think the manufacturer goes free. If they have made extraordinary efforts to their systems to avoid modifications, they should not be liable. That is just my opinion and you actually have a good reason above that I would forward in their defense.
No, in that case, they're absolutely (in general) secure from liability. Remember though, that being in a secure position liability-wise does not mean you cannot be sued. You may, depending on other factors, still have to defend yourself. The company would likely win, but that does not stop folks from filing against you if they have a modicum of evidence. The thing folks are scarred of is hackers turning off brake boosters or commanding transmissions into reverse at highway speed or pulling your address and CC details out of the cars memory (with the fully integrate your car is your phone set up that is coming). Or worse, using the self drive mode to mow down pedestrians or cause major pile ups. If the company has put near mil-grade security on those set ups they will get crucified in court when it happens.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Or just turn off wifi?

I don't like all these updates just randomly showing up on my radio. If you keep it to just a cable connection, then how the hell is someone going to hack into the car?
Exactly... I don't like all the tracking, give me this, give me that, we'll never share it, you've got all the privacy in the world stuff... I wouldn't get "cable" because they want to track everything you and your family do and watch and then sell it to others (and you pay them for the privilege)...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
No, in that case, they're absolutely (in general) secure from liability. Remember though, that being in a secure position liability-wise does not mean you cannot be sued. You may, depending on other factors, still have to defend yourself. The company would likely win, but that does not stop folks from filing against you if they have a modicum of evidence. The thing folks are scarred of is hackers turning off brake boosters or commanding transmissions into reverse at highway speed or pulling your address and CC details out of the cars memory (with the fully integrate your car is your phone set up that is coming). Or worse, using the self drive mode to mow down pedestrians or cause major pile ups. If the company has put near mil-grade security on those set ups they will get crucified in court when it happens.
Huh?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That should say "if the company has not installed mil grade software security on the car they will be crucified."

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
I disagree... There is a point at which commercially available computing power will not be practical to attack the entire architecture encryption by brute force attack. If Ford was smart - for example, each vehicle has its own encryption key. If they were stupid (like SRT with the remote fob theft issue), possibly.
Well first off having cracked FCAs PCM in 2007 I didn't use brute force...nothing do crude.

You find the master chip on the board and work backwards.

Every chip manufacturer publishes White Papers on their chips to help developers design the bootloader/operating system.

So using the manufacturers own data and tools any chip can be cracked.

The hard part usually is getting the A2L files.

What I haven't seen mentioned and is the biggest problems for the manufacturer in warranty fraud and Fed Government emissions laws.

Each manufacturer of ICE Engines needs to guarantee the emissions systems for 8 years. The biggest aftermarket tuning problems on that end is meeting emissions standards certified by the manufacturer.

If you really want to know what kind of engines will be in next year's vehicles is go to the government website that certifies the engine calibrations. That is how those in the know knew when the Hellcat engine was going to be in the new model years.
Way back in 2013/14