Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Harmon Kardon Sound system on the Hellcat

HellcatMike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
The Harman Kardon 900-watt 18-speaker system on the Challenger Hellcat.

dmac799

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
I purchased the Harman Kardon upgrade too. However, I do not have the speaker that you are showing in the picture. I have a blank space where a spare tire should go. Now I am wondering if I did not receive what I paid for. Is this how you car came delivered from the factory?

RonHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I purchased the Harman Kardon upgrade too. However, I do not have the speaker that you are showing in the picture. I have a blank space where a spare tire should go. Now I am wondering if I did not receive what I paid for. Is this how you car came delivered from the factory?
Did you get the Harmon Kardon Audio Group $1995 upgrade? If yes then you should have the subs in the back.

dmac799

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions

As you can see in the attached pic, I do not have the sub like you have. Yet, I paid for the $2000 HK upgrade and it shows on my sticker. And it even has the HK label on the inside of the door near the sideview mirror. Something is definitely wrong.

As it stands now, I have to crank the volume to the max to hear anything, especially with the windows open. So if this is what the HK sounds like, I want my $2000 back. For that amount of money, I could have upgraded the components myself and had a much better sound.

LonestarHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I was told by my salesman that there are no spare tire sub box on the Charger, just the Challenger. The subs are located behind the rear seat on the Charger.

RonHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Like Lonestar posted the subs are behind the rear seat. Either way the HK sound system on the Charger is horrible compared to my old M3.

As you can see in the attached pic, I do not have the sub like you have. Yet, I paid for the $2000 HK upgrade and it shows on my sticker. And it even has the HK label on the inside of the door near the sideview mirror. Something is definitely wrong.

As it stands now, I have to crank the volume to the max to hear anything, especially with the windows open. So if this is what the HK sounds like, I want my $2000 back. For that amount of money, I could have upgraded the components myself and had a much better sound.

dmac799

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Thanks for the insight fellas. I will take a look to see if I can find all 19 speakers just to make sure I received the HK system. Assuming so, that brings me back to my original issue of expectation versus reality. I certainly was expecting better.

Meanwhile, I called SRT and they are definitely working on an update for the HK audio system. Evidently they have been barraged with owners complaining about the sound quality and its loudness. So at least I know I am not the only one out there. Now we just have to hope the fix cures the problem AND happens this century!

LonestarHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I'm glad Dodge is addressing the problem. Would be interesting to hear how they plan to resolve it. Maybe larger subs lol?

Thanks for the insight fellas. I will take a look to see if I can find all 19 speakers just to make sure I received the HK system. Assuming so, that brings me back to my original issue of expectation versus reality. I certainly was expecting better.

Meanwhile, I called SRT and they are definitely working on an update for the HK audio system. Evidently they have been barraged with owners complaining about the sound quality and its loudness. So at least I know I am not the only one out there. Now we just have to hope the fix cures the problem AND happens this century!

rfinglet

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Thay still have not addressed the issue. My new 2016 hellcat charger has crappie sound. Very disappointed in the $2000 add on. All bass. No mids or highs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango

I too am unhappy with the sound. However, all it needs to release the full potential is the AP4 module and my JL amp I used on my factory Scat Alpine speakers. You would be amazed at how well they sound when powered correctly, I can only imagine what the HK will sound like amped up.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle

Just got my hellcat back from the stereo shop. The HK 19 speakers count pairs in the door. So for example, the 6" midrange WITH a tweeter counts as 2, and so on and so forth. I disconnected the lackluster factory amp and put a JL audio 6ch amp. That REALLY woke up the system, as in will make your ears bleed if you want it too.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Just got my hellcat back from the stereo shop. The HK 19 speakers count pairs in the door. So for example, the 6" midrange WITH a tweeter counts as 2, and so on and so forth. I disconnected the lackluster factory amp and put a JL audio 6ch amp. That REALLY woke up the system, as in will make your ears bleed if you want it too.
By any chance did you happen to see what the speaker's specs were, like ohm, watts or even are any dvc vs svc? Also, are all speakers amplified from the amplifier, and how many channels are coming out if?

I would love to wake up this system...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Can you run that amp via the factory head or is there a seperate remote for this amp?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I got the 18 speaker 900 watt with the sub woofers in the bottom of the so called trunk. It does take up all the space where the flat tire pump comes in instead of a spare tire. My buddy has a 2019 red eye and it does not come with the woofer system. He was amazed to see this in the rear end of this H/C. I did test drive a new red eye 2 weeks ago and standard, he said, comes with a 19 speaker and the woofer system. It is amazing and I am a pro Bose purchaser, but very impressed with this system. It has broken a window in the process of figuring it out.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Love the HK in my 2016 Charger. No complaints!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Me either and 1st HK system ever owned in a car, garage most important, and or house. Sounds great. No need for improvements at this point.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Me either and 1st HK system ever owned in a car, garage most important, and or house. Sounds great. No need for improvements at this point.
I need more, especially an amplifier where I can utilize a Bluetooth chip that has better compression, such as an Audiotec Fischer amp with Bluetooth module.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
By any chance did you happen to see what the speaker's specs were, like ohm, watts or even are any dvc vs svc? Also, are all speakers amplified from the amplifier, and how many channels are coming out if?

I would love to wake up this system...
ill ask the installer the answer to all those questions. All speakers ARE amplified from factory but underpowered. I did have to go from a 4ch to a 6ch amp and left factory sub unhooked because I’ve got a JL W6 12” sub that pounds.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I'd like more details on the Amp replacement as I'm underwhelmed by the HK system in my Charger. The car is new to me so I'm still playing with settings, maybe I'm missing something but so far, it just doesn't seem all that great. Sort of like, I don't need 707HP most of the time but when I want it, I want it. I don't need rock concert volume most of the time but when I want it, this car doesn't have it. I'm not an audiophile and I realize an automobile is a challenging environment for quality sound but this, should be better, especially for what the HK option cost. So far I'm still quite happy to listen to the soundtrack the power plant provides but eventually I think more audio would be nice. I like the simplicity of just adding more amp if that provides a decent improvement and is not a huge challenge to do. I feel like the system stock is 5/10 and I'd be happy with a not crazy expensive upgrade to get to 7 or 8/10. However, with the modern cars having so much integration with various systems, I'm not willing to give up anything or jump through crazy hoops with aftermarket equipment to get it all to work. Importance of audio is < the fun factor of this beast, but more would be good.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'd like more details on the Amp replacement as I'm underwhelmed by the HK system in my Charger. The car is new to me so I'm still playing with settings, maybe I'm missing something but so far, it just doesn't seem all that great. Sort of like, I don't need 707HP most of the time but when I want it, I want it. I don't need rock concert volume most of the time but when I want it, this car doesn't have it. I'm not an audiophile and I realize an automobile is a challenging environment for quality sound but this, should be better, especially for what the HK option cost. So far I'm still quite happy to listen to the soundtrack the power plant provides but eventually I think more audio would be nice. I like the simplicity of just adding more amp if that provides a decent improvement and is not a huge challenge to do. I feel like the system stock is 5/10 and I'd be happy with a not crazy expensive upgrade to get to 7 or 8/10. However, with the modern cars having so much integration with various systems, I'm not willing to give up anything or jump through crazy hoops with aftermarket equipment to get it all to work. Importance of audio is < the fun factor of this beast, but more would be good.
All I put in mine was an AP4 module which you have to have and a JL audio 6 ch amp. It will blow your mind how good it sounds.