Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcats Represent the Best of Modern Street/Strip Cars Period!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Take a class in a tuner school or work for a shop that tunes. It will help. I learned it myself and cost a iot of $$$

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Take a class in a tuner school or work for a shop that tunes. It will help. I learned it myself and cost a iot of $$$
It's tuned already, I never touch it. :LOL:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I feel like staring something. LOL
Just curious what stock boost means to you.
I keep getting a hard time because that term gets thrown around.
Someone at the track keeps on about a you tube vid or FB post about someone running a number on stock boost.
Then we have a discussion about a tune with "stock boost" on a car with raised shift points and a car without and shifting at the stock around 6000 rpm.
Instead of stock boost why not just say with a tune.
I get that one of the you tube guys keeps saying he has no tune but raised shift points and then mentions adding fuel to the tune. So tuned no matter how you look at it.
Just my opinion.

I agree they are a great drag strip car.

"Stock Boost" would mean stock pulleys to me.

But if you were having a discussion like that with someone and didn't also say that you were running a tune/fuel, then you would be somewhat deceptive (or sly?).

Or depending on the situation, "competitive"...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I know cat. Bustin your balls.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
My vote is still the C6 Z06 with cam, headers, and some spray on drag radials.

3000lbs car and well over 600whp on juice

Although in today's market, these are starting to creep back up in price. Used to be able to find some older ones in the high 20s but now everything is mid 30s and up.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
"Stock Boost" would mean stock pulleys to me.

But if you were having a discussion like that with someone and didn't also say that you were running a tune/fuel, then you would be somewhat deceptive (or sly?).

Or depending on the situation, "competitive"...
I agree that would imply stock pulleys.
The thing is the ones usually touting stock boost have a tune with likely raised shift points.
So spinning the blower faster creating more boost with raised shift points. Correct?
Yes sure at 6000 ish rpm that my car shifts we are at the same boost. but spinning to 6400 we know from Dyno's these things make more power.
To the average person who see's a car on stock boost on social media, well they associate that with stock.
So to me "STOCK BOOST" would be less deceiving with say calling it "TUNE ONLY".
Just sayin"
Notice I didn't even mention the whole gears thing as I consider that more of a band aid than an advantage.;):ROFLMAO:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I agree that would imply stock pulleys.
The thing is the ones usually touting stock boost have a tune with likely raised shift points.
So spinning the blower faster creating more boost with raised shift points. Correct?
Yes sure at 6000 ish rpm that my car shifts we are at the same boost. but spinning to 6400 we know from Dyno's these things make more power.
To the average person who see's a car on stock boost on social media, well they associate that with stock.
So to me "STOCK BOOST" would be less deceiving with say calling it "TUNE ONLY".
Just sayin"
Notice I didn't even mention the whole gears thing as I consider that more of a band aid than an advantage.;):ROFLMAO:
Hey Jimbo, when I was stock boost, I would say "stock boost with 93 tune" when describing it, but a stock pulley is stock boost no matter where the shift points are at, yes with a tune the shifts can be raised to give a little more, it's still stock boost when using more rpm, it's just not the reported stock boost because of rpm limit. Dodge could have done it too but kept it on the safer side for the masses.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Well guys,, some of are not going to party cipate at the track just party. If I drove the car more, I more than likely would. I am still under a 5 year warranty and may get my license yanked by the end of the month. At this point, being irresponsible on the public streets is not very enjoyable. This is why I am paying attentions to these threads cause I ma be on the track very soon. If not in jail. I look forward to when the warranty is up and may have my woooes straightened out. Guns and license are at the presents, but I am taking notes.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hey Jimbo, when I was stock boost, I would say "stock boost with 93 tune" when describing it, but a stock pulley is stock boost no matter where the shift points are at, yes with a tune the shifts can be raised to give a little more, it's still stock boost when using more rpm, it's just not the reported stock boost because of rpm limit. Dodge could have done it too but kept it on the safer side for the masses.
I realize it isn't much. If you spin the motor to higher rpm then the pulley on the blower is spinning faster also.
No?
So the equivalent of spinning the blower faster with a slightly smaller pulley.
I realize this is only realized after the stock shift point.
Basically shifting at say 6400 is about a 6% increase in rpm so the blower is spinning roughly 1400 rpm faster creating more boost from 6000 to 6400 rpm.
yes splitting hairs but as you know the et shows gains from the added rpm.
For the average person they lump that into stock category and when comparing to a stock car like say mine ... well you get what I mean I'm sure.;)

On a side note I just got my PCM unlocked and wondering about a "stock boost" tune:p:ROFLMAO: or installing my 10% and tuning for that and going for 9's in the next month or so.;)
If that won't do it E next year would.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Don’t positive displacement blowers make “full boost” way before redline? Raising the shift points would allow you to carry boost further out into the RPM range, but it wouldn’t necessarily make much more boost.
A ported Maggie on a Hellcat made 20psi at 3000psi and 24psi at 7000. That’s 1psi for every 1000rpm. So there is more math involved there than I can to get into but it basically aligns with @moparjim ’s assessment of 6% for 400rpm… and you would go from ~11psi to ~11.66psi. Would it go faster? I bet spending more time at higher RPM contributes to the increased performance more than the .6psi gain.
But I’m not a scientist.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
You are a street engineer,,, kinda like me, in a sense. Learned with all the tools we could get and not have the common sense taken out of us. The 1st 2 years of college has that effect on certain people. I was lucky to go to college out of HS but the monies ranout fast,,,, had to learn. Pick up the tools, hardest, keep my mouth shut and learn. Congrats to all.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I always thought positive blowers made all the boost early and it stayed there unlike a centrifugal which makes more the faster you spin it

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was under the same impressions. Turbos have the lag time to build the blowers are a forced induction on the spot.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Don’t positive displacement blowers make “full boost” way before redline? Raising the shift points would allow you to carry boost further out into the RPM range, but it wouldn’t necessarily make much more boost.
A ported Maggie on a Hellcat made 20psi at 3000psi and 24psi at 7000. That’s 1psi for every 1000rpm. So there is more math involved there than I can to get into but it basically aligns with @moparjim ’s assessment of 6% for 400rpm… and you would go from ~11psi to ~11.66psi. Would it go faster? I bet spending more time at higher RPM contributes to the increased performance more than the .6psi gain.
But I’m not a scientist.

Yeah I have tried on a couple occasions to watch my boost gauge and it peaks out before redline and then basically holds that number until it shifts. On my Redeye at 5500 feel elevation that's 12 psi

Last edited:
OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #55
Reviewing datalogs, I don't notice any difference in boost pressure from 5300-6600 rpm at the track.

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
You are not going to just throw a $10K turbo kit onto a new Mustang and run into the 8's.
Tuning and the supporting mods. are easily another $10K.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I realize it isn't much. If you spin the motor to higher rpm then the pulley on the blower is spinning faster also.
No?
So the equivalent of spinning the blower faster with a slightly smaller pulley.
I realize this is only realized after the stock shift point.
Basically shifting at say 6400 is about a 6% increase in rpm so the blower is spinning roughly 1400 rpm faster creating more boost from 6000 to 6400 rpm.
yes splitting hairs but as you know the et shows gains from the added rpm.
For the average person they lump that into stock category and when comparing to a stock car like say mine ... well you get what I mean I'm sure.;)

On a side note I just got my PCM unlocked and wondering about a "stock boost" tune:p:ROFLMAO: or installing my 10% and tuning for that and going for 9's in the next month or so.;)
If that won't do it E next year would.
agree, glad your getting a tune, the tcm tune does make the bigger difference vs pcm tune.
Go for those 9's, the 10% will get you there.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Reviewing datalogs, I don't notice any difference in boost pressure from 5300-6600 rpm at the track.
interesting.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
SO can we call it stock boost now even if have a tune ? yes, data logs don't lie. :LOL:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States