Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

High IATs Solution

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I just read that pyrol costs 25K per pound.:eek:
OMG!! I knew it was expense but damn we used to waste the stuff like it was a sheet of luan lol

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm sure that any good heat shield would work.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #43
I am an 18 charger. Dusterhoff stage 4, jokerz full tilt/108mm kong, legmaker, catless, blah blah E85 and at an idle or low speed the IAT1 (pre-blower) is absolutely tarded. IAT2 seems to hover at about a 30-40* delta (from either ambient or i/c coolant. Can't remember) and will drop a hair once fresh air hits the blower then climbs as expected. Think peak in the heat was 175? No KR though from any source and no timing was being pulled. Likely due to the leeway E85 can give you.

Doesn't seem to be hurting performance but it does annoy me a good bit. If not for being on E85 at the track I'd probably have ventilated the block by now.

I think I'm just gonna skip the tank and do a chiller eventually. Gonna have 500-1000 in a good ice tank/emp pump and plumbing. Base chiller is what...1700?
I was staged behind a TRX that had the chiller. He dropped water all over the track and I had to wait for them to dry it.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
This stuff is called Pyrol, it’s a insulation board that can make a claimed 300 degree temperature difference in a 1/8” thick piece. Used it where I used to work between 500F blown film die and it’s 45F airing that would sit right on top of the hot die. I coated one side with sticky back high temp insulation foil and spray painted the other side black so it’s less noticeable. My intake tube and snout are now the same temp as the air coming through them verses hot as hell from the hot air the radiator fan blows on the tube if not shielded. Been running it for about 6 months now, no issues. This piece is cut for no hyd power steering pump, if a pump is in place it gets a square cut out of it. It’s hard for me to get this material as it’s like 1000$ for a 4x8 sheet but I get scrap pieces from a guy that still works there but not often unfortunately.
View attachment 60404 View attachment 60405 View attachment 60406 View attachment 60407 View attachment 60408
Can you share dimensions on the cutout?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #45

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm sure that any good heat shield would work.
Keep in mind at the track if your hood is open the airbox won't heat soak to bad. And like Mean Cat said a heat shield to block the hot air for the brief time your car is running before the run it won't get too hot

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #48
Keep in mind at the track if your hood is open the airbox won't heat soak to bad. And like Mean Cat said a heat shield to block the hot air for the brief time your car is running before the run it won't get too hot
I've been considering just taking the hood off.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I've been considering just taking the hood off.
I don't think you need to do that. Some of the hot air is coming out the vent holes in the hood
The biggest thing I noticed with a heat gun is when the fan comes on it blows hot air towards the air box. A shield to block that would help a lot like what 16gomangohc2 has

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #50
I don't think you need to do that. All of the hot air is coming out where the hood used to be
Fixed

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
Sure, I can trace mine on something but it’s bigger then a normal sheet of paper. How can I post it to where it can be copied or printed out at actual size to use as a template?
Just tape pieces of paper together and trace on that. Fold and put in a manila envelope. Put arrows and lines where the paper goes together.
I will happily send you money to cover your time and costs.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just tape pieces of paper together and trace on that. Fold and put in a manila envelope. Put arrows and lines where the paper goes together.
I will happily send you money to cover your time and costs.
OK, I can do that. I can pick up some poster board from the store and trace it on that and mail it. You have electric steering or a PS pump? Challenger? I don’t know if the same for a charger but will give you an idea. PM me a address and I’ll get something in the mail on Monday.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
OK, I can do that. I can pick up some poster board from the store and trace it on that and mail it. You have electric steering or a PS pump? Challenger? I don’t know if the same for a charger but will give you an idea. PM me a address and I’ll get something in the mail on Monday.
My Redeye has the same steering setup so it should work for me.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #55
I have a 2018 Charger with mechanical power steering. The template should be right on or very close.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have a 2018 Charger with mechanical power steering. The template should be right on or very close.
Same here.

Someone save the template just in case. I can't pull my car out for another 2-3 months anyways.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'll take a template also, if you don't mind, PM me your PP for payment.
2017 Challenger HC.

Thank You !

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #58
I'll take a template also, if you don't mind, PM me your PP for payment.
2017 Challenger HC.

Thank You !
Same here. I need your PayPal.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Not to interupt. Laptop got an STD and has been off line. What are youz attempting to do?? Heat shield, condensate shield, low tempt shied, vapor barrier holdings?? Not to spread around bragging rights, but have been employed by. NASA, Sea World, Living Seas, Disney, M & M Mars, Mayo Hospital, on and on. For heating and cooling insulation consulting. I am sum what knlowladgeable in the field. Hold licenses in heavy commercial and industrial HVAC, controls, and insulation. If I can be of any help,, let me know. 4th generation of HVAC family owned and operated businesses from Tenn to Fl to Alaska. Have contracted with Trane, York, McQuay, Johnson Controls. If I don't know the answer, I will find it.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #60
Not to interupt. Laptop got an STD and has been off line. What are youz attempting to do?? Heat shield, condensate shield, low tempt shied, vapor barrier holdings?? Not to spread around bragging rights, but have been employed by. NASA, Sea World, Living Seas, Disney, M & M Mars, Mayo Hospital, on and on. For heating and cooling insulation consulting. I am sum what knlowladgeable in the field. Hold licenses in heavy commercial and industrial HVAC, controls, and insulation. If I can be of any help,, let me know. 4th generation of HVAC family owned and operated businesses from Tenn to Fl to Alaska. Have contracted with Trane, York, McQuay, Johnson Controls. If I don't know the answer, I will find it.
Tell me what I need to do to solve this high IAT problem.
I know none of this stuff.