Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How many of y'all hibernate your vehicles?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
It is lonely but I prefer it to be lonely. No one near it LOL
Don't blame you... my cars are in an underground parking garage as well with safety cones around them.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Sure my cars always hibernate if or when it rains. :) Other then that they get drove all year long. :)
Same here, I just shuffle the order around in the garage a bit.

20201114_212554.jpg

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have a Simpson 4200 psi 4 gpm, with an adjustable wand. I bought it a few years ago, I believe it was right up near $1k or better. I like the Honda engine they use because I have a Honda push snowblower and that sucker is nearly 40 years old now and still works well for a spare blower. When I turn it up it can blow holes in concrete, so seems like enough pressure to get the bugs off the wrap.
I have a Ryobi I got from Home Depot for $300 I think. Bought it because it has a Honda engine too. Works great.

Beware with pressure washers though, as @DGatzby has stated. There is a very fine line between enough pressure and remove material. Have a small rock chip on your bumper? Get that pressure washer too close and the water will get under the paint and chip it off.

I had some mold growing on my siding and deck when I lived in MN. Tried and tried to get it off without the pressure washer, finally gave in and slowly turned the pressure up to get it off. Finally got it off but it removed the finish of the decking material and the siding.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I waited as long as possible. We did a smoke show last Saturday. They tell me the airport has recorded 17” so far this year. This sucks so far, goes along with the rest of 2020. Had to bust off the remaining ice and snow before I backed the Redeye out for its final wash of the season yesterday.

View attachment 29516
In the end, it rests covered and in complete heated comfort. The QuickJack which will soon be under it. I need to do a couple of minor maintenance items, clean what remains of the second raccoon it took out from the exhaust pipes, install AAD Tension Arms, play with the front end alignment. Clay-Polish-Wax-Detail, when we can drive again, get some of the lower wraps replaced, get a new windshield wrap. Then it is ready to go. It won’t take too much if the Pandemic stops and we can load it up on a trailer and go have some fun after Jan 1.
View attachment 29526
Like that Red Eye stencil on your car cover. I never thought to wrap my windscreen when I had the entire car wrapped In X-Pel. Don’t think the detailer mentioned it. My one blemish is a small rock chip middle of the front windscreen - and when that happened on the freeway behind a truck it was a heck of an impact noise.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Like that Red Eye stencil on your car cover. I never thought to wrap my windscreen when I had the entire car wrapped In X-Pel. Don’t think the detailer mentioned it. My one blemish is a small rock chip middle of the front windscreen - and when that happened on the freeway behind a truck it was a heck of an impact noise.
Thankfully my windshield is brand new, covered shortly after it was invented, never driven. The windshield wrap is by Bray. It lasts one year anyway. I got two years out of one, well almost two years. After a year of wear and washing high pressure spray seems to blow off its outer layer which makes it nearly worthless for glare. The company who did my wrap locally don’t do the windshield wrap any longer. Apparently it is a PIA to remove and I don’t want to scrape and dissolve glue. So it is hibernating with some bad wraps that need replaced and a windshield cover that looks like shit. But the wrap place PO’ed me a few weeks ago when I could NOT wait for it. Had to drop it off. Well screw that. It is likely they won’t see my car ever again. Other places in the Twin Cities here also do that work. When spring comes we will see if we are without Rona and if someone wants to take care of it. Otherwise I’ll drive it 100’s of miles for another shop f... them.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I pack my cars in salt year round. Part of the annual canning process my wife oversees.
What’s nice about that is when you unpack it, and you’re hungry, you can just reach into the glove box and pull out a pickle.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m with the people who don’t want salt corroding the car so I put it up for winter in Northern Kentucky. It will stay in storage from December 1 to April 1st. I take it off my auto policy’s liability for those four months - saves about $500. It still has comprehensive/collision in case something happens to it in the garage - or the garage collapses on top of it!

Last year I bought a Battery Tender brand battery tender and it worked great. Connected it to the terminals in the engine bay (but can be hooked to the battery in the trunk), put some rags on the paint for the wires to lay on and left the hood resting on the rags.

I also aired the stock all-season Pirelli’s to 50 psi, which I’m pretty sure is the recommended storage PSI. It arrived from the factory with 50 PSI.

Read some advice somewhere about winter storage and that author said best not to start it unless you can thoroughly warm it up - to avoid moisture staying in the exhaust pipes (and perhaps some staying in the oil).

Other than mouse traps around the car that is it.

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
My car would be in hibernation like always this time of year if it wasn't being held hostage at a shop in Long Island, NY for 2 months+.... - (Thanks to the tuner for the fantastic recommendation of their friend/service) (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Looks like this might be the first year a performance car of mine ever see's salt/snow which really is unfortunate since the car is showroom clean from 2016. Will have to clean the entire chassis in a freezing garage to prevent corrosion if so. Snow already fell once upstate here earlier this month. Temps are in the 40's-50's now 30's at night...any day now salt trucks will start when snow hits hard.

Here in upstate NY hibernation is a must if you value your vehicle. Most cars daily driven will rot out the chassis from rust/corrosion in 5-10 years due to the chemicals/salt used on the roads during winter.