Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

HPtuners Question and Answer Thread

Trader history for ostmike (0)

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
My big question is how do you see your run data when using the RTD ?
To see data using an RTD would follow the same process as an MPVI device using VCMscanner.
Here's an old video on using VCMscanner from our Youtube channel. There are a couple of videos on the channel about using VCMScanner and channels. Nothing professional but should be of some help.

Does this answer the question you were asking?

Last edited:
OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
What does the table 44387 "Desired Throttle Large Range" do? Mike you made an adjustment to this when we were dialing in the 2.7L supercharger and it seemed to really smooth out the throttle unless it was my imagination.
Good question! For the most part it does nothing useful that I can determine.
For vehicles that have issues at certain cruising throttle positions I have modified either column of this table in that specific area (or in the Throttle Body Airflow table - 35035) and the problems seems to resolve.

For reference I have doubled and halved both columns of 44387 for test purposes and the changes seem to make no noticeable difference.

On the otherhand changes to the Small Range table 44388 have a very noticeable impact and should be performed cautiously.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
No more questions?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
OK. Why do the bypass cables go bad?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
ost doesnt make the cables but Im going to assume that its a manufacturer issue? Poor components? User install?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
ost doesnt make the cables but Im going to assume that its a manufacturer issue? Poor components? User install?
I know. I was just wondering since mine took a dump. It's now in the trunk where it belongs.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
That's a new one for me. We install both the HPtuners and Zauto bypass modules and never had one go bad. We've installed them in cars, Jeeps and trucks without a failure. I have not experienced this so I cannot answer that question. Sorry.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Mike
I actually have a 21 Challenger Super Stock with the HP bypass behind the radio and I was have issues with the MPVI2 reading and writing a tune. I put the ZAuto in the truck extended the wires a bit and now it’s in my rear set delete kit area and works fine. Some thing weird happening with the front one? But it’s electrical. John

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
That's a new one for me. We install both the HPtuners and Zauto bypass modules and never had one go bad. We've installed them in cars, Jeeps and trucks without a failure. I have not experienced this so I cannot answer that question. Sorry.
Mike/dave.
there was a bad batch of the cables a few years ago. The problem was some suppliers had these cables and keep selling until stock ran or ar the time didn’t know it was a bad baths. At least that is what I’ve been told. I haven’t had an issue with any of the cables I’ve sold.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
Mike
I actually have a 21 Challenger Super Stock with the HP bypass behind the radio and I was have issues with the MPVI2 reading and writing a tune. I put the ZAuto in the truck extended the wires a bit and now it’s in my rear set delete kit area and works fine. Some thing weird happening with the front one? But it’s electrical. John
There is definitely a difference between the HPtuners and Zauto units. Although we do not install either in the trunk.
The major difference we have experienced is when using a HPtuners bypass is that we are not able to use our tools that update the BCM or other modules in the car via the OBD2 port.
With the Zauto bypass we do not have an issue.
So there is a difference between the modules but not something the average user would experience.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok Mike I have a question for you.
Are you offering flex fuel for the newer cars?
I have been running into issues where on 93 it is reading e50 or e70. I did fine this week a few tables missing and may potentially fix the issue if I request them but it’s hard to believe some of these bigger shops haven’t already requested them.
I have talked to a few other tuners and they have seen the same issue and stopped offering it.
i see another remote tuner still offering it and wondered how. But I had a shop of his car me a few weeks ago and asked if I could fix it because it was running like crap. After looking at the log that customer was also having the same issue with percent reading wrong and that tuner told them not to worry about it. 😱
So curious if you have ran into the same issue. I have been wanting to get one in person but no one around here has one. I may make a post on the local hemi group and see if I do one for free if they will come to me. But I will say this some cars I have no issue with but I have 2 cars right now where the issue is still happening and they’d like a fix. I would say at this point it is a 50/50 shot if it works for me. I’m hoping it’s the missing tables I found this week. We shall see and I’ll update.
not looking for a fix just your experience.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
Ok Mike I have a question for you.
Are you offering flex fuel for the newer cars?
I have been running into issues where on 93 it is reading e50 or e70. I did fine this week a few tables missing and may potentially fix the issue if I request them but it’s hard to believe some of these bigger shops haven’t already requested them.
I have talked to a few other tuners and they have seen the same issue and stopped offering it.
i see another remote tuner still offering it and wondered how. But I had a shop of his car me a few weeks ago and asked if I could fix it because it was running like crap. After looking at the log that customer was also having the same issue with percent reading wrong and that tuner told them not to worry about it. 😱
So curious if you have ran into the same issue. I have been wanting to get one in person but no one around here has one. I may make a post on the local hemi group and see if I do one for free if they will come to me. But I will say this some cars I have no issue with but I have 2 cars right now where the issue is still happening and they’d like a fix. I would say at this point it is a 50/50 shot if it works for me. I’m hoping it’s the missing tables I found this week. We shall see and I’ll update.
not looking for a fix just your experience.
Jon, when you say "newer cars" what year/model are you referring to? In regards to missing tables it is not uncommon for me to request a table to be added for a particular calibration and HPtuners does not add it for other calibrations for the same (or similar) year vehicles. For the last few years I have been requesting that table additions for similar calibrations be populated to all similar calibrations and not just the one I requested. It is frustrating to start on a tune, know the table that needs to be adjusted and find that it is not there, then open a support request to have it added referring to my previous support request for a similar calibration. I have no idea if this is what you are experiencing so sorry to ramble.

We do offer flex tuning but as most folks know that have approached us for this type of tuning it is not my preference. "Inferred" ethanol content calculations are not something I feel comfortable relying on and never will. For the GM platform the Flex tuning relies on an actual ethanol content, is very accurate and I am very comfortable tuning this configuration.

The newest FCA vehicles I have done a Flex tune on are a 21 Redeye and a 21 Superstock. The Superstock is rearely driven but with our street testing we did not have any issues. With the Redeye we did have issues with the ethanol content calculation so we just switched to a straight E98 tune.

Hopefully this helps some.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Jon, when you say "newer cars" what year/model are you referring to? In regards to missing tables it is not uncommon for me to request a table to be added for a particular calibration and HPtuners does not add it for other calibrations for the same (or similar) year vehicles. For the last few years I have been requesting that table additions for similar calibrations be populated to all similar calibrations and not just the one I requested. It is frustrating to start on a tune, know the table that needs to be adjusted and find that it is not there, then open a support request to have it added referring to my previous support request for a similar calibration. I have no idea if this is what you are experiencing so sorry to ramble.

We do offer flex tuning but as most folks know that have approached us for this type of tuning it is not my preference. "Inferred" ethanol content calculations are not something I feel comfortable relying on and never will. For the GM platform the Flex tuning relies on an actual ethanol content, is very accurate and I am very comfortable tuning this configuration.

The newest FCA vehicles I have done a Flex tune on are a 21 Redeye and a 21 Superstock. The Superstock is rearely driven but with our street testing we did not have any issues. With the Redeye we did have issues with the ethanol content calculation so we just switched to a straight E98 tune.

I’ve watched all of @Speedy! you tube videos and he’s very happy with his flex tune. Perhaps his car does not fall into that newer category.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I’ve watched all of @Speedy! you tube videos and he’s very happy with his flex tune. Perhaps his car does not fall into that newer category.
His is a 15-16?

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle

Ya by newer 20 plus. I’m going to try and get the tables added and a ticket placed today and see where it lands me.
I’ve also thought about making customers sign a form for flex. Who is to say you have e85 in you run it down. Leave a gas station with a tank of 93 and floor it. That’s not a good day there.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ya by newer 20 plus. I’m going to try and get the tables added and a ticket placed today and see where it lands me.
I’ve also thought about making customers sign a form for flex. Who is to say you have e85 in you run it down. Leave a gas station with a tank of 93 and floor it. That’s not a good day there.
Perhaps my question is the subject for new thread but, what are the advantages of an e85 vs. 93 vs flex tune on a street car?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Perhaps my question is the subject for new thread but, what are the advantages of an e85 vs. 93 vs flex tune on a street car?
Doesn't work for me since E85 is scarce in Florida.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Doesn't work for me since E85 is scarce in Florida.
I'm real happy with my Redeye e85 tune. I'm considering a change on the Hellcat. Just want feedback on all possible options.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm real happy with my Redeye e85 tune. I'm considering a change on the Hellcat. Just want feedback on all possible options.
Buying MS109 or GT260 is expensive and can be hard to find, so if E85 was readily available, it would be a top choice for me.

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Buying MS109 or GT260 is expensive and can be hard to find, so if E85 was readily available, it would be a top choice for me.
No E85 over this way either once you get outside Tampa, not realistic to have an hour drive just to get gas :(