Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jared's 2015 Challenger Hellcat Build

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
IMG_6426.png
This is on a 426

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42
That's a nice build going on @Jroc !

What is the ET you are looking for?

Linda :)
Thanks Linda. I am realistically probably looking to make it an 8.50 car. Anything more than that and it would be hard to fit it in any classes here locally, and it will hopefully keep parts breakage down and save a lot of money on chassis works costs. That said we all know it's never enough so I might push it further. I think a 426 and the 3.8 would easily eclipse the 8.50 mark if you wanted to.

Right. I lost track that you were temporarily going with the stock block. I remember you saying that now. I’m talking to too many people about stuff. The 4.0 is a good choice then. Adam had a conversation with Whipple about my reliability concerns due to all the chatter and I was told that the 3.8 can have a problem with rotor deflection due to the larger size. It is not designed to be a high rpm blower. 18k for reliability and max of 21k for racing (“pushing it”). We were using the 3.5 (within those limits) at Houston last year and the performance was astounding with no damage to the blower. Just something to keep in mind for later.
That is definitely good to know, I think with how efficient it is I probably would never need to lean on it super hard anyways. You've already proven just how powerful it can be even with a relatively tame pulley combo.

very interested to see what this does with the stock engine and 3.8.
Me too, hopefully we will find out soon.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #43
IMG_2275.jpg IMG_2276.jpg

Anderson Composites Demon Cowl hood showed up this morning, 1 day after a car show that I had to show the car in for my work lol. Was an 8 hour reminder that I generally really hate car shows.

Anyways the hood fits and looks great, I'm definitely impressed with the quality. That said the landed cost in Canada for this hood is through the roof but I'm happy with it regardless. Drilling for the hood pins was incredibly nerve-wracking, but it all worked out just fine.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
View attachment 110010 View attachment 110011

Anderson Composites Demon Cowl hood showed up this morning, 1 day after a car show that I had to show the car in for my work lol. Was an 8 hour reminder that I generally really hate car shows.

Anyways the hood fits and looks great, I'm definitely impressed with the quality. That said the landed cost in Canada for this hood is through the roof but I'm happy with it regardless. Drilling for the hood pins was incredibly nerve-wracking, but it all worked out just fine.
They are beautiful. Did you by any chance weigh it before install. I would be curious to know how it compares to stock.

Last edited:

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
They are beautiful. Did you by any chance weight it before install. I would be curious to know how it compares to stock.
I know my redeye Anderson composite hood weighs 5lbs more than my stock 2016 hellcat hood.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #46
They are beautiful. Did you by any chance weight it before install. I would be curious to know how it compares to stock.
I didn’t unfortunately but just from feel I’d say @RGPIII Is right on the money.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I didn’t unfortunately but just from feel I’d say @RGPIII Is right on the money.
That’s what I was thinking. I believe the dry CF is considerably lighter. I know the dry CF deck lid and roof panel are significantly lighter than stock and something I would like to go with but for the high cost.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #48
Launch.jpg

Got this sucker out to the track for the first time since all the work last night.

My first impressions are wow does the 15-inch conversion ever make a difference over the old 17s and it feels like it's easier on the driveline as well with less shock at the launch due to the bigger sidewall.

This was on just a base, base, base tune, as I wanted to get some data for @ostmike to work with. The car was slow but consistent going 10.36, 10.38, and 10.40 all at 136, and change. I did run a 4th time but think there was something on the track as the car spun on the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, and then got loose at the top of third so I aborted the run. I have no doubt that when Mike works his magic on this thing it's going to fly.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
View attachment 110010 View attachment 110011

Looks good. Most car shows are too long. Some people are leaving 2-3 hours in. Thinking 9-1 would be about right as long as there is food around:p

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #50
Looks good. Most car shows are too long. Some people are leaving 2-3 hours in. Thinking 9-1 would be about right as long as there is food around:p
Thanks!

Yeah, I had to be there from 7:30 to 4:00. And since it was for my work and we brought a bunch of cars, I had to deal with all the usual BS. One of the Mopar club members that was putting on the show comes up and looks at a Super Stock we had there and goes to me whats the supercharger size on this. I say it's based off a Redeye so it's a 2.7 liter supercharger. She looks at me like I'm an idiot and goes, no the old way whats the Hemi size? I think my eyes crossed for a second and go oh it's a 6.2 Hemi, then shes like no the old way though with the three numbers, I go oh its about 376 cubic inches, she's standing looking at me like I'm an idiot and some other guy walking guy goes don't really know what you're talking about do you.It took everything out of me to be professional and just go yeah I guess we aren't all perfect.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thanks!

Yeah, I had to be there from 7:30 to 4:00. And since it was for my work and we brought a bunch of cars, I had to deal with all the usual BS. One of the Mopar club members that was putting on the show comes up and looks at a Super Stock we had there and goes to me whats the supercharger size on this. I say it's based off a Redeye so it's a 2.7 liter supercharger. She looks at me like I'm an idiot and goes, no the old way whats the Hemi size? I think my eyes crossed for a second and go oh it's a 6.2 Hemi, then shes like no the old way though with the three numbers, I go oh its about 376 cubic inches, she's standing looking at me like I'm an idiot and some other guy walking guy goes don't really know what you're talking about do you.It took everything out of me to be professional and just go yeah I guess we aren't all perfect.
Car shows can be interesting places for sure. No one said their uncle had a Hellcat 20 years ago and you couldn't get the $100 bill from the dash it was so fast:LOL:

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
Car shows can be interesting places for sure. No one said their uncle had a Hellcat 20 years ago and you couldn't get the $100 bill from the dash it was so fast:LOL:
Ahahaha yeah for sure. I don't mean to sound negative. Overall it was good 8 hours is just too much. Had a lot of good conversations, and tried helping to create a new generation of car enthusiasts as I let a lot of peoples kids hop in my car and fire it up and all that. There's definitely always one or two what hell moments that happen at shows for sure lol.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #53
So this is interesting. The whole time I thought I was making 23 PSI on the 4-inch pulley with a 10% overdrive lower. Mike and I moved on to get ready for the race gas tune and he recommended that I put the smaller pulley on, which I was unsure of. He said that based on aircharge it looks like the car is making 17 PSI peak, and asked what I was seeing on the dash. This morning I made a pull and watched the dash and saw 16 PSI meanwhile, my HPTuners log is showing 23. It seems as though something is wrong with my HPTuners logging setup for boost pressure.

Makes me not feel as bad about those 10.30 passes last Friday but I'm surprised it's "only" making 16-17 PSI based on what I have seen other guys making with the Whipple 3.8. Maybe the one's with the hellcat boost bypass valve are geared differently or something like that.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #54
OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #55
IMG_2672.jpeg IMG_2673.jpeg

Finally got around to swapping the drivers side axle shaft with the torn boot out. Should have this back together soon and then going to try the race gas tune out at the track tonight for the first time.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #56
Last night was another disappointing night at the track although the car did put up a personal best of 9.80 at 143 and change.

I took the blower lid off the Whipple today and noticed that the O-ring for the bypass valve was just sitting on top of the snout against the bypass valve, instead of being in the groove where it is supposed to be.

IMG_1804.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

I got that sorted out and the car seems to run better and pull harder. I imagine it would have created a vacuum leak but based on where it is I’m not sure how much it would affect things.

IMG_2696.jpeg
I won’t know until I get to the track again if that makes it any quicker. The big issue I’m having is the car won’t 60 foot. It’s in the mid 1.5s and doesn’t feel like any power comes on until third.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Last night was another disappointing night at the track although the car did put up a personal best of 9.80 at 143 and change.

I took the blower lid off the Whipple today and noticed that the O-ring for the bypass valve was just sitting on top of the snout against the bypass valve, instead of being in the groove where it is supposed to be.

View attachment 112703

View attachment 112702

I got that sorted out and the car seems to run better and pull harder. I imagine it would have created a vacuum leak but based on where it is I’m not sure how much it would affect things.

View attachment 112704
I won’t know until I get to the track again if that makes it any quicker. The big issue I’m having is the car won’t 60 foot. It’s in the mid 1.5s and doesn’t feel like any power comes on until third.
Welcome to the eternal 1.5 60’ club my friend! I run the same exact time / trap speed

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
My 60’ should be a lot better next time out. Have a few things to try and installing an ice tank to take care of IATs. If the bypass wasn’t sealing you definitely had a boost leak

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #59
My 60’ should be a lot better next time out. Have a few things to try and installing an ice tank to take care of IATs. If the bypass wasn’t sealing you definitely had a boost leak
Mentally this is one I'm struggling with, the car feels and runs a lot better under normal driving now. But under WOT when the bypass valve closes would it have a boost leak from there? I can see that it could still leak from the snout, but I'm not so sure about having a boost leak from the blowoff coming from the blower lid at that point with the bypass closed.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and over complicating it in my head.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mentally this is one I'm struggling with, the car feels and runs a lot better under normal driving now. But under WOT when the bypass valve closes would it have a boost leak from there? I can see that it could still leak from the snout, but I'm not so sure about having a boost leak from the blowoff coming from the blower lid at that point with the bypass closed.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and over complicating it in my head.
I’d think you’d be sucking in unmetered air. Did you get logs? Your tuner should be able to spot it