Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Light weight batteries

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hmmmm...

I was going to correct you on the mass of fuel, but I went and double checked before I stuck my foot in my mouth. I've always used 6.5lb/gal, but I found two different numbers out on the web, 6.05 and 6.3, but not 6.5.

And the 6.05 was the common reference to "gasoline".

Then I thought maybe I'm thinking of diesel, but no, it's ~7ish pounds (again, with various numbers out there.)

Temperature comes into play, but not a bunch.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42
And I assume that you Don't run much gas in the tank either, gas is really heavy at 6 lbs per gallon.
Half a tank or less. Being I drive the car daily I have to plan on how much fuel I have during the week before race day

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #43

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
So what do RE/HCs have as far as stock battery goes (i.e. cca and lbs?)
Same q for Demon. I guess I can pull mine and weigh it but I know I won't, lol.

From the above "Walmart discussion" it's seems that our stock units weigh ~45lbs? If so that's a sh!t-ton, lol

I'm kinda surprised that the Demon didn't come with a lightweight version given all the other "easy" weight reduction shenanigans they pulled. Then again, a lighter battery would have added bottom line cost. Pulling a seat actually -saved- them money and I suppose every dollar matters to the bean counters.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Hmmmm...

I was going to correct you on the mass of fuel, but I went and double checked before I stuck my foot in my mouth. I've always used 6.5lb/gal, but I found two different numbers out on the web, 6.05 and 6.3, but not 6.5.

And the 6.05 was the common reference to "gasoline".

Then I thought maybe I'm thinking of diesel, but no, it's ~7ish pounds (again, with various numbers out there.)

Temperature comes into play, but not a bunch.

I know that 6 was me rounding it off, but its close enough for anything not to precise. I use a lot of Jet A, for arguments sake i call it 7 lbs, and water is close enough to 8, to use 8 as a guideline.
My thinking was simply that if you leave out 15 gallons, that is around 90 lbs. When I do heavy lifts at work, I put on just enough Jet A to get the job done, because fuel is ridiculously heavy. Even just an extra 100 gallons, is 700 lbs of weight to lift, just like why I remove any unnecessary seats, they add up.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #47
So what do RE/HCs have as far as stock battery goes (i.e. cca and lbs?)
Same q for Demon. I guess I can pull mine and weigh it but I know I won't, lol.

From the above "Walmart discussion" it's seems that our stock units weigh ~45lbs? If so that's a sh!t-ton, lol

I'm kinda surprised that the Demon didn't come with a lightweight version given all the other "easy" weight reduction shenanigans they pulled. Then again, a lighter battery would have added bottom line cost. Pulling a seat actually -saved- them money and I suppose every dollar matters to the bean counters.
There has been weights from 44-52 for the stock batteries in all these cars.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Found this from 3 years ago. Someone from antigravity batteries posted this on the GT350 site about the atx20-hd and 30-hd. The 20 is $368 weighs 5 lbs. The 30 is $500 and weighs 8 lbs. My car doesn't sit for more then a couple of days at the most. Now I'm thinking again:unsure:

What would be the advantage of running the ATx-30? Are both of these suitable for daily driving? Can both run accessories like AC, Radio and Dash cam at same time?​
Good question... While they are both suitable for Daily Driving, the ATX20-HD has 15 real Amp Hours, compared to the ATX30-HD having 24 real Amp Hours. The 9Ah difference is significant for the following reasons.

1- The vehicle can sit in storage longer without the need for being put on a Charger/Maintainer. So if you are not daily driving so much and let the car sit a good few weeks or month or more... then having more Amp Hours is better. The objective is not to have to put your car on a maintainer unless you store it for longer periods.

2-Similar to above, those 9 extra Amp Hours Extra offer more capacity, so if you have a theft alarm, radar detector or Camera attached to your car the extra 9 amp Hours will power accessories like that much longer than a ATX20HD would when the car is sitting undriven. Many people do not really understand that these extra accessories can cause significant Parasitic Drain on a Battery. And being a Lithium Battery has a much lower Amp Hour rating than a Lead/Acid battery in general, these extra 9 Amp Hours give you more CAPACITY to have the Car be left without a Maintainer on it. The additional accessories that can draw energy while the car is not running can really draw down a battery quickly. And with the ATX20-HD you do not have a lot of over-head to power these things that draw energy when the Car is off. But YES both can be used as Daily Drivers with the ATX20HD being something you may want to have on a Maintainer if you have extra accessories such as the aftermarket Alarms, Cameras and such.

3- The 9 extra Amp Hours means a bigger more powerful Lithium Cell-Pack is inside the battery. Which also means a battery that weighs about 2.5 lbs more. To be clear the ATX20-HD will easily rip start the GT350s.... but the extra power with a larger battery inside offers better starting in for Colder Weather, easier turn over on Built Motors, and if you accidentally leave you lights on in a parking lot while at dinner, or your stereo or something you will have extra power to start the car, even if the voltage has dropped more.

4- The last thing is the ATX30HD is a bit more beefed up inside to handle the larger more powerful battery pack inside discharging currents. So many Race cars, or very high-performance Cars can take a lot of turn-overs to prime or start the motor. So the ATX30HD can handle the higher heat that can occur with long turn-overs or difficult to start motors. This should not be a factor in the Mustang, except for built ones or people who are tweaking on their cars more.

So in conclusion the ATX20-HD should be fine for those into racing or daily driving in Moderate weather, provided those who use it understand that a 5lbs Lithium battery is not an infinite supply of power, it is a compact, lightweight battery for Sports Cars that can handle the electronics draw of a stock vehicle without a lot of extra high-draw accessories, or big high wattage stereos. In that use it is fine. Also note that when the car is running, all your accessories are powered by the Alternator for the most part, so the battery won't be affected too much. Its just those aftermarket accessories that create larger draws and are pulling energy from the Battery when NOT driving that can make the ATX20HD not the ideal battery for that type of application with a lot of extra accessories.
Great find, and an informative read...I've been waffling between the 20HD and 30HD, but this has me all but sold on the 30HD.

Am curious as to your reaction to this; my concern would be what its actual Ah capacity is and its durability being a "no-name" brand.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #49
Great find, and an informative read...I've been waffling between the 20HD and 30HD, but this has me all but sold on the 30HD.

Am curious as to your reaction to this; my concern would be what its actual Ah capacity is and its durability being a "no-name" brand.
The 30hd does look like it could be a good battery. They are $500 but they are also out of the terminals until 5/15. 8 lbs is tempting. I found more info at the GT350 site then anywhere else

I'm sure they are all using the same batteries. They list it as 40 ah and It is only 12 lbs. You can go up in ah but so will the weight. Sometime you have to try stuff to see what works. I may be able to say it worked well or maybe everything could go south. It does have a 2 year warranty.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Just stay the hell away from Optima. Once upon a time a good battery for what it was - now, a POS.

danger dumpster fire.gif

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #51
Just stay the hell away from Optima. Once upon a time a good battery for what it was - now, a POS.

View attachment 42629
They are not light but yes my 1st one lasted over 7 years my second died on me in 2. This was back in the early to mid 2000's

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I’ve been casually looking into lightweight batteries over the last couple of years, and by coincidence a Uk supplier was brought to my attention last week.So I just weighed my battery , I didn’t believe how much one could weigh 35.2lb so there is a massive weight saving to be made🤘

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #53
I’ve been casually looking into lightweight batteries over the last couple of years, and by coincidence a Uk supplier was brought to my attention last week.So I just weighed my battery , I didn’t believe how much one could weigh 35.2lb so there is a massive weight saving to be made🤘
Yours is light. Everyone in the states has been 44-52 lbs

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Yours is light. Everyone in the states has been 44-52 lbs
Yours would be bigger than mine 🤓, maybe Demon batteries are lighter then, still massively heavy.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #55
Yours would be bigger than mine 🤓, maybe Demon batteries are lighter then, still massively heavy.
You should post a picture of yours. I don't think the Demons were getting different batteries. Could the battery be different since it was shipped overseas?

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
F6BEA6B8-6CA3-4A99-982E-F4FE0B61485E.jpeg
You should post a picture of yours. I don't think the Demons were getting different batteries. Could the battery be different since it was shipped overseas?
Dunno, wouldn’t have thought so 12D41592-6CD5-4B54-949B-F59990C82DF1.jpeg

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #57
Looks like the normal battery. Here is a video weighing the stock battery. Mine weighed 44 lbs also

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
weighed mine myself also,checked to see if our weights are the same which they are.I’ll weigh it again when my new lightweight arrives ,may video as well ?

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
I’ve been casually looking into lightweight batteries over the last couple of years, and by coincidence a Uk supplier was brought to my attention last week.
I'm interested in lithium ferrous leisure batteries, do they sell those at reasonable prices and can you share the source?

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I'm interested in lithium ferrous leisure batteries, do they sell those at reasonable prices and can you share the source?
Sure Lizzie , prices are on their website,I got a small discount with a charger.Met a couple of chaps at Santa pod last weekend who were both using these batteries,they looked the part ( the batteries that is)
Www.deadweightindustries.co.uk