Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mid size SUV help?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Without wishing to highjack this thread,I’m also looking at the same suv scenario ,I’ve shown you mine so let’s see your right hookers🤓
Here you go, Mr. Brit. Fancy stuff, huh? DSCN3142[1].JPG DSCN3141[1].JPG

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
We recently were in the market for a mid size SUV. The market is saturated with fairly low mileage used options. The Jeep was our favorite, me because of the 5.7, my wife liked the White/Black appearance. We also drove, Durango, Explorer...we ended up with a one owner Explorer with 60k mileage, but wa s about half off the new sticker and the right size for my wife to feel comfortable driving it. New is nice and all, but the drop off in price is pretty major.
Yep, with the price of new vehicles, and how much they depreciate in the first few years, that's why I shopped for a used truck. I got a F150, pretty much loaded, 1 owner, for half the price of new. It was very well kept and runs great. Just for peace of mind I bought an extended powertrain warranty. My next car will definietly be used for the same reasons. Let someone else take the beating.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
What if that someone else gave the vehicle a beating?
Most new vehicle owners wont flog their vehicle. They bought it new and paid ALL the money, and so they tend to want to keep them nice. One owner really matters in the car business. Best financial purchase imo is to be the second owner of a low mileage vehicle roughly 2 yrs old. First guy takes the biggest/fastest hit financially. You swoop in and grab it for far less while still keeping the factory warranty intact in most cases. Although Hyundai is an example of a manufacturer who does not allow transferrable factory warranties. They have the best warranty out there but you have to buy new to get it lol.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Most new vehicle owners wont flog their vehicle. They bought it new and paid ALL the money, and so they tend to want to keep them nice.
True, it was most likely washed frequently, but was it driven short distances or until the fluids were actually warm? City, mixed, or mostly highway mileage? Dealer serviced or serviced correctly? Was it even remotely close to being broken in properly?

Buying used could be a perfect example of getting what you paid for.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
True, it was most likely washed frequently, but was it driven short distances or until the fluids were actually warm? City, mixed, or mostly highway mileage? Dealer serviced or serviced correctly? Was it even remotely close to being broken in properly?

As in BROKEN😢

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Hey, I may take you up on that!

But you may not be overly eager to trade once you find out that one's a '75 4WD converted Postal Jeep, one an '05 Daihatsu HiJet dump truck, and one an '08 "military" Jeep JK.

Those three are actually what I drive most often, followed by center steering (tractors), while the LHDs see the most miles.

Please post some photos of what I'll get in trade, would you?

Oh, and I do have a Range Rover engine in my Jeep, by the way.
My sensible daily

Attachments

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

That's true of anything. You have to do the best research you can. You have to look at reports like Carfax, etc. You have to actually look at the vehicle you're interested in. I would never buy a used vehicle online and wait for it to show up at my door without having inspected it in person. I look at the mileage, the vehicle reports, the overall condition, etc and I make my best decision from there. Most used vehicles I look for now are CPO vehicles that come with a warranty or I figure that I'm gonna buy a warranty when I purchase a used vehicle. Most times the warranty is cheaper than your average repair, but you have to deal on getting a good price on the warranty.
I'm looking at two different 5.0 Mustangs right now. They are a '16 and a '17. Both are one owner, clean carfax with service history, each has right around 3k miles. Both will come with a warranty. They are both extremely clean, and I mean underneath as well. They were both serviced at the selling dealership since new.Neither looks like it was ever driven in the rain because even the factory labels under the car look brand new. They look like they were both kept how many members on this forum keep their cars. Yes, I'll be taking a gamble, but I'm making the most educated purchase I can. I'm not looking at '16 or '17 models with 50k plus miles...so I'm hedging my bet in my favor. And if there's a problem...they will be dropped off at the dealership for whatever repairs they need. Both of these cars are priced $18k under what they stickered for new. So yeah.....someone else took the initial beating....just like I will if I trade my Challenger. And if I do trade the Challenger, this will be the last new car beating I take as I plan to buy used from now on.

OP
Phizzle

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #49
This is hard guys. I legit thought it was going to be easy. I appreciate the links sent regarding Koons but it's a bit far from us so I'll have to pass unless they'll fly us there and back and pay for a trailer to transport the Jeep back home to Cali lol.

But anyways, we're expanding our search now. Lexus RX is now in the mix, so is the Toyota Highlander.

I'm not sure if the wifey will like the Durango body. She's always been a fan of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (Rubicon) body style. Off roading...maybe...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
This is hard guys. I legit thought it was going to be easy. I appreciate the links sent regarding Koons but it's a bit far from us so I'll have to pass unless they'll fly us there and back and pay for a trailer to transport the Jeep back home to Cali lol.

But anyways, we're expanding our search now. Lexus RX is now in the mix, so is the Toyota Highlander.

I'm not sure if the wifey will like the Durango body. She's always been a fan of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (Rubicon) body style. Off roading...maybe...
Wait.....you mean you aren't up for a quick flight cross country......grab your new Jeep and drive it back cross country? Nice scenic vistas......little out of the way shops to stop at.....the odd burger joint or two....jamming your favorite tunes.... :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You have to actually look at the vehicle you're interested in. I would never buy a used vehicle online and wait for it to show up at my door without having inspected it in person.
And then there's me. I can't even remember the last time I saw a vehicle before buying it, and many times without having seen photos.
But those weren't "pre owned" vehicles, they were used. Many of them custom builds. Ones you can't buy new.

Anyway, so far it has always worked out, and I've been pleasantly surprised when they arrived, much more often than not. An almost new vehicle I prefer to buy new, however, since it's possible.