Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Motor Trend trashes Challenger Hellcat Red Eye (December 2019 edition)

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
MT and Car and Driver are not the magazines they used to be. They used to be entertaining to read and they appealed to car lovers. Now the writers compete with one another in posting nonsense that doesn't resonate with most real car enthusiasts. Comedians they are not. They overstate and understate results based on their biases and think that we all want to see complicated graphs to supposedly mesmerize us with their brilliance. I used to be a Ford fanatic and admittedly still like some of their products including the new GT 500 but after migrating to a Dodge Viper in 2007 and a HC Challenger in 2016 I have no regrets. The HC is a purpose built muscle car that rides well and is fun as hell to drive.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
It is impossible to do an "apples to apples" comparison when reviewing Hellcats to anything else. They stand alone as the only true modern muscle car.
This I think is the real answer. There are no other cars like the ones we own.
Regardless of Speedy's and other comments that they can't handle I have plenty of fun in mine doing something noone expects. And off the track there is no other car for a similar price I'd rather own.
But that GT500 though...

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
I'll let you guys go to the local store and read it while the wife shops instead of buying it. In a nutshell, Randy Pobst rates it 12/12, while Motor Trend rates it 11/12. They ran a blistering 11.8 @ 126 with a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds (insert sarcasm simile). The only car MT rated lower than the Red Eye was the Toyota GR Supra (Launch Edition).

Randy Pobst comments on the Red Eye.........."Someone had to be last. The Dodge isn't refined, but it could be the most fun. Seats are like thrones. The Hemi pulls harder than you'd dream, tranny is sharp and effective in manual mode. Heavy handling is balanced and brings on the good times."

Motor Trends comments on the Red Eye........." An absolute hoot when blasting exhaust notes at your friends during stoplight-to-stoplight drags, impressing/appalling neighbors with apocalyptic burnouts, and driving a sweeping country road at 70 percent. But ask it to lay waste to a racetrack or take a narrow twisty road at full chat, and the Challenger is found wanting."

Outside of the BMW M2, Shelby GT 350, and the Toyota Supra, all other cars were way more expensive.

Look, I know car mags are subjective and don't really mean a thing, but still, nobody wants their car to be rated last or next to last on any testing.

Rant over.

RANT! RANT! RANT!.... you call that a RANT?... You ain't seen nuffin yet.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

stand back.gif

Let a pro show you how it's done.... :cautious::cautious::cautious:

step aside.gif
this is how we do it.gif
big boy pants.gif

AND... I'm fired up....

fired up.gif

So, let's go....

come at me.gif
418Z.gif

That MT article is nothing more than....

mule fritters.gif

You hear me?...

mule fritters.gif

I'm PANDA PISSED and won't take this anymore!!!!

rant.gif

1kQ.gif

RANT OVER!!!!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
OBC you forgot bovine excrement.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
OBC you forgot bovine excrement.
Oh yeah.... that too.. Sorry for the oversight.... :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

bovine-excrement-meter.gif

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
It is impossible to do an "apples to apples" comparison when reviewing Hellcats to anything else. They stand alone as the only true modern muscle car.
Just look at what cars they tested. An SUV. A couple of race cars. And a bunch of two seaters. How does any of that even remotely compare?

If you look at the Challenger - it stands alone as the only car of it's type: thus it's the best.

Cross shop a Camaro or a Mustang or a Supra or a race car with a couple of car seats or adolescents and see which car meets those requirements. Yes, the Urus would work - but then you are driving an Aztec inspired shitbox.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
My cat will eat that squarles's ass, both of em. I am looing to take a H/C and turn it into a red eye but find it cheaper to purchase a red eye and turn into a demon with a back seat full of blue pills and do the nasty in. They call it with some one's daughter. 40 and younger. I would call it nastier and funster. After purchasing a $86,000 H/C and sinking another $10,000 into it's man hood, cheaper to purchase a red eye, turn it into a black eye and make a demoneyed going thru puberty on blue pills. More fun and cheaper and faster than a GT 500.. 500 looks nice like me but not as fast as me on blue pills. Have been a vette person for years but when they told me years ago I could not build my own car, I found a manufacture that would. Dodge brother's and sister's at a cheaper price and faster. Ten they turned a ZO6 into a Batster Moble. Looks like a cats aster. Damn ugliest corvette I have never owned. I want $10 for more 1 moe HP. They are still traveling faster and cheaper. Got my Hell of a vote.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Like I said b4, great they are comparing us to cars that cost MULTIPLES more. I am keeping it!

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I get a kick how many people hammer a car for not being a good track car. (Not talking about drag strip) How much of life is it going to a road course track? How many people even have access to such venues. These magazine writers need to get their heads out of their asses and learn what reality is.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
I get a kick how many people hammer a car for not being a good track car. (Not talking about drag strip) How much of life is it going to a road course track? How many people even have access to such venues. These magazine writers need to get their heads out of their asses and learn what reality is.
headupass.gif

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
It's just like our politics. every one has an agenda. It doesn't matter if you state facts or not, as long as it fits your hidden agenda.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
My neighbor across the street has been hearing me start my Red Eye for about 6 months now. It rattles the next door neighbors windows. The other day, I had a chance to invite the guy across the street (he's a 72 year old Pakistani; real nice guy) for a Starbucks and we went in my car. As he got in, he said "so this is one of those (muscle cars) eh?" On the way back from coffee, I asked him if he'd like to see what it can do and he said sure.

She was running exceptionally well that day and even surprised MY ass as she swooped us along mighty fast. When I let off (at about 110), he started laughing and said "OK, NOW I get it!" still laughing and grinning. He has already told the guy next door to me, " hey, you gotta take a ride in that Red Eye!"

She's a fun car, even with the auto trans...

Last edited:

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
How much of life is it going to a road course track? How many people even have access to such venues?
I agree with everything you said but I'm curious what you mean with your question about access to road courses. There are a LOT of them around the country and all of them that I'm aware of have learned to capitalize on the revenue from clubs that rent them out for a day. They are VERY accessible to a large population.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Challenger out sold both Camaro and Mustang so nobody cars about Motor Trend.
Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger: How’d the Mopar sales do?

U.S. Dodge Challenger sales soared by 21% in the third quarter of 2019, hitting 18,031 for the three-month period.

The Ford Mustang, the car that is in practically every movie or TV show ever made, saw sales drop by 12% in the quarter, falling to 16,823.

The Chevrolet Camaro, another cultural icon, is in third place; sales for the quarter were down 15% to 12,275.

The Corvette remains in its traditional position as master of American sports-car sales, holding roughly steady with 4,766 sales for the quarter despite news of a surprisingly inexpensive midengine Corvette on the way.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Doing 75 on the freeway the other day. Hit the gas and the car got out of shape at that speed. Yeah that's why I bought it LOL.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I dont know... the WB Charger looks pretty capable, on the track...

Bob
Riverside, California
Started the video, but kept on perusing this thread.
Freaking loved listening to the Hellcat while reading.
Might be something to try while reading all threads?

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Started the video, but kept on perusing this thread.
Freaking loved listening to the Hellcat while reading.
Might be something to try while reading all threads?
Just jump ahead to 3:17, when he drifts that thing around every single corner.

Beautiful...

Bob
Riverside, California