Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My 2017 Hellcat build

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I moved this from another area. I posted it before I got the lay of the land here at Hellcatforum. I have been working on collecting parts for a long time, and its been in the shop for
quite a while. Things are going well. I visited them today to check progress, and its all good. I did order another part for the build, and will drop that off next week. BMR adjustable
spherical sway bar mounts, front and rear.
This will be a limited use street car. Occasional cruises out to Globe, Wickenburg to Prescott on 89, and hitting the local car shows. There are 3 really big ones every weekend.

Here are the details of the build....
Stainless works 2" long tube headers and larger 3" exhaust system with Spintech 3000XLP mid mufflers. Quad tips.
Cylinder head exchange to BES for a set of CNC pro port Demon heads.
ARP head studs and Cometic MLX gaskets.
OST Dyno Demon plus cam & kit. PSI springs, Manley Ti retainers and stronger pushrods.
Larger idler pulleys for improved belt wrap on supercharger pulley.
ATI +10% lower, pinned dampener.
Demon 2.7L supercharger.
Brisk spark plugs.
Fore staged dual fuel pump setup with large filter, #10 feed, #8 to rails, Fore rails, #8 to boost referenced aeromotive regulater and #8 return.
ID1050X injectors.
3 gallon, boost activated methanol injection, plumbed into the supercharger top. 3 nozzles a side, hard line. Snow VC-50 progressive controller, Pro Meth pump, hard line setup and nozzles.
FIINTERCHILLER, race comp, stage 2 chiller. This replaces the air to liquid heat exchanger on the supercharger and uses a liquid to liquid setup like the Demon. But this chiller does a much better job of lowering the IAT's.
FIINTERCHILLER supercharger insulating spacers and underside thermal blanket.
Ron Davis Hellcat radiator. Bolt in, 26% more fin area and no plastic tanks.

Demon torque converter.
3.09 diff.
CCI aluminum driveshaft.
Per4mance DIRS diff brace.
Driveshaft loop.

AAD adjustable upper control arms with the spherical bearing upgrade.
AAD adjustable inner/outer rear control arms
AAD billet trailing arms with the spherical bearing upgrade.
Solid rear suspension cage bushings.
Front shock tower brace.
Rear shock tower brace.
KW adjustable ride height spring kit.
BMR adjustable spherical bearing sway bar end links front & rear.

HR-5 factory style bronze wheels. 20X11 rears, 20X9.5 fronts.
Nitto NT-05 315/35X20 rear and NT-01 285/35X20 front tires.

Anderson Composites carbon fiber Hellcat hood and rear deck spoiler.

I was very fortunate to get the used Demon supercharger, and once I had that, I just decided to clone it to a Demon and hot rod it from there. The meth tank in the trunk is 3 gallons, and that is plenty for several tanks of gas. I will also add a 32oz can of Boostane to each fill up. With E85 getting less hard to find, I think I will convert at the start of the new year. If I do that, I will pulley the supercharger to get a little more boost. Maybe that new Litens 3.17".

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I moved this from another area. I posted it before I got the lay of the land here at Hellcatforum. I have been working on collecting parts for a long time, and its been in the shop for
quite a while. Things are going well. I visited them today to check progress, and its all good. I did order another part for the build, and will drop that off next week. BMR adjustable
spherical sway bar mounts, front and rear.
This will be a limited use street car. Occasional cruises out to Globe, Wickenburg to Prescott on 89, and hitting the local car shows. There are 3 really big ones every weekend.

Here are the details of the build....
Stainless works 2" long tube headers and larger 3" exhaust system with Spintech 3000XLP mid mufflers. Quad tips.
Cylinder head exchange to BES for a set of CNC pro port Demon heads.
ARP head studs and Cometic MLX gaskets.
OST Dyno Demon plus cam & kit. PSI springs, Manley Ti retainers and stronger pushrods.
Larger idler pulleys for improved belt wrap on supercharger pulley.
ATI +10% lower, pinned dampener.
Demon 2.7L supercharger.
Brisk spark plugs.
Fore staged dual fuel pump setup with large filter, #10 feed, #8 to rails, Fore rails, #8 to boost referenced aeromotive regulater and #8 return.
ID1050X injectors.
3 gallon, boost activated methanol injection, plumbed into the supercharger top. 3 nozzles a side, hard line. Snow VC-50 progressive controller, Pro Meth pump, hard line setup and nozzles.
FIINTERCHILLER, race comp, stage 2 chiller. This replaces the air to liquid heat exchanger on the supercharger and uses a liquid to liquid setup like the Demon. But this chiller does a much better job of lowering the IAT's.
FIINTERCHILLER supercharger insulating spacers and underside thermal blanket.
Ron Davis Hellcat radiator. Bolt in, 26% more fin area and no plastic tanks.

Demon torque converter.
3.09 diff.
CCI aluminum driveshaft.
Per4mance DIRS diff brace.
Driveshaft loop.

AAD adjustable upper control arms with the spherical bearing upgrade.
AAD adjustable inner/outer rear control arms
AAD billet trailing arms with the spherical bearing upgrade.
Solid rear suspension cage bushings.
Front shock tower brace.
Rear shock tower brace.
KW adjustable ride height spring kit.
BMR adjustable spherical bearing sway bar end links front & rear.

HR-5 factory style bronze wheels. 20X11 rears, 20X9.5 fronts.
Nitto NT-05 315/35X20 rear and NT-01 285/35X20 front tires.

Anderson Composites carbon fiber Hellcat hood and rear deck spoiler.

I was very fortunate to get the used Demon supercharger, and once I had that, I just decided to clone it to a Demon and hot rod it from there. The meth tank in the trunk is 3 gallons, and that is plenty for several tanks of gas. I will also add a 32oz can of Boostane to each fill up. With E85 getting less hard to find, I think I will convert at the start of the new year. If I do that, I will pulley the supercharger to get a little more boost. Maybe that new Litens 3.17".
Sounds like a fun build. When do you expect to have her on the street?

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like a fun build. When do you expect to have her on the street?
That was the topic of discussion today at the shop its at. Looks like sometime later next month. That works well because the hot weather really starts to back off by mid Sept. I look forward to hitting the car shows on the weekend again. Right before sunset until Dec. By then, daytime temps are tolerable.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Great timing with cooler weather starting around then. I’m sure you’re excited after a long wait. Post pics when available.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
The car is almost done. Went to the shop last Wednesday. The Chiller and meth injection are the only remaining things to install. We spoke about the switch to E based fuel. I think they would like me to do it now.
I am seriously considering doing it. I have ordered the 3.17" Litens upper to add a little more boost. Would be in the 16-17# range.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I got a call from the shop today. I need to bring them 15 gallons of E85 tomorrow. They are done with all the mods, and its time for tuning. Should have the car back next week. Cannot wait for the first drive.

There is another Challenger project at this shop (non Hellcat), and the owner of that car is interested in my carbon fiber Hellcat hood. The next thing I am going to do is the Demon hood swap. I have ordered the Demon aftermarket airbox setup.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
HellCat Challenger
Sounds like a cool build. Any pics yet?

Which shop is doing the work?
Which tuner are you using?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Aren't the factory Hellcat hoods carbon fiber?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
I saw a Youtube video where the guy compared factory to aftermarket hoods, and the aftermarket one was heavier. That's why I asked. How much do they both weigh?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I saw a Youtube video where the guy compared factory to aftermarket hoods, and the aftermarket one was heavier. That's why I asked. How much do they both weigh?
Do not have that information, but I am guessing that there are members who can.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Do not have that information, but I am guessing that there are members who can.
If it's lighter, that would be good, because the nose is the best place to lose weight on this car. Bring on the carbon-fiber engine blocks, I say!

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
If it's lighter, that would be good, because the nose is the best place to lose weight on this car. Bring on the carbon-fiber engine blocks, I say!
Anderson Composites says their CF Hood is about 28 lbs. The stock Hellcat Hood is about the same. Don’t buy the CF hood for weight savings. It’s either for the “cool factor”, or some are buying the Demon style for better airflow or the high cowl version to fit an aftermarket supercharger.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I am yet to see an aftermarket hood with weight reduction... mostly just looks.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Been to busy working and dealing with health issues to post much on the build. All the mods are installed and the next thing is tuning.
I will be switching to a Demon hood (carbon fiber) now that there is an aftermarket airbox setup available. I bought the AFE Demon airbox setup, and I have to say it looks very well made.
Comes complete with everything required to work with the cold air intake Demon hood.
I will make this change in a month or so. We will trim the lower portion of the airbox to clear my steering.

AFE_intake.jpg

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
Well, my 3.17" Litens upper burned up. Apparently they don't like larger idler pulleys and supercharger spacers.
Its stuck on the shaft, so its on the way to Jokerz for removal. Jokerz said they have had to do this for others.
While they have it I am having them CNC port it for the HHP 105mm throttle body.
Will throw the Litens in the trash and put a 3.1" Griptech fixed pulley on it.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Well, my 3.17" Litens upper burned up. Apparently they don't like larger idler pulleys and supercharger spacers.
Its stuck on the shaft, so its on the way to Jokerz for removal. Jokerz said they have had to do this for others.
While they have it I am having them CNC port it for the HHP 105mm throttle body.
Finding the silver lining by CNC porting. Great move!

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
If you're running E, go with a 2.X pulley, and get away from those 3.X - that's what makes the E worth it!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Confused by what you're saying.

How can the Litens know if there are spacers (FI?) installed?

The idler pulley maybe, but even that isn't clear to me.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
If you're running E, go with a 2.X pulley, and get away from those 3.X - that's what makes the E worth it!
I have a Demon supercharger. So the 3.1 upper and standard lower gets me in the 16-17 pound boost range. Plenty for me.