Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ode to Hellcat (2015-2023)....

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I would disagree here. The size and style of the Challenger is what makes it sell IMO. If someone wants small and light there are other options out there. Simply building a smaller and lighter Challenger won't a Challenger make. The reason I like it so much is because it is literally a muscle car, not a sports car with a V8. Just my .02 cents though.
@Speedy! gets it.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Let them try and build a Duramax tranny. Hahaha
That's what I do for a living.:cool:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I would disagree here. The size and style of the Challenger is what makes it sell IMO. If someone wants small and light there are other options out there. Simply building a smaller and lighter Challenger won't a Challenger make. The reason I like it so much is because it is literally a muscle car, not a sports car with a V8. Just my .02 cents though.
I said lighter, not smaller.
The Charger also shouldn’t have been a 4 door…
Dodge needs to make some changes, and they won’t matter until this platform is retired.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
In the woods, in the woods. Let Dodge have Harley bail em out when they go electric, Dodge.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I said lighter, not smaller.
The Charger also shouldn’t have been a 4 door…
Dodge needs to make some changes, and they won’t matter until this platform is retired.
Gotcha, and that's fair. I 100% agree on the Charger should have never been a 4 door car. Shoulda been called something else.

From all I've ever read or heard the next platform is quite a bit smaller, but with Stellantis involved there may not be one, at least that I'd be interested in.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
And I’m not shitting on the platform, it’s my favorite, ever. But I can’t help but think of what could have been if there had been some significant generational changes like every other relevant platform has had since 2004.
2004 = C5 corvette
2004 = 3rd Gen Viper… it was discontinued and reintroduced TWICE during the LX tenure.
BMW was in the e60 and the e55 for Mercedes.
It’s like Tim K said, if you ask a guy whether or not he wants his radio 2” bigger or 100 more hp… they’re gonna take the HP. I agree, that’s what got us here. But man, they really held on to this thing a while.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And I’m not shitting on the platform, it’s my favorite, ever. But I can’t help but think of what could have been if there had been some significant generational changes like every other relevant platform has had since 2004.
2004 = C5 corvette
2004 = 3rd Gen Viper… it was discontinued and reintroduced TWICE during the LX tenure.
BMW was in the e60 and the e55 for Mercedes.
It’s like Tim K said, if you ask a guy whether or not he wants his radio 2” bigger or 100 more hp… they’re gonna take the HP. I agree, that’s what got us here. But man, they really held on to this thing a while.

Having your cake and eating it too...

Something tells me that if we had gotten some of those things, we'd be in the same boat at the Corvette price wise... :unsure:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Having your cake and eating it too...

Something tells me that if we had gotten some of those things, we'd be in the same boat at the Corvette price wise... :unsure:
If you mean that the Hellcats would be CHEAPER - I agree!
The Corvette starts at $58k, and it’s probably much nicer than a $58k Hellcat…
The Z06 suggested MSRP is $85k… less than the Charger RE I built on Dodge’s site.

If this chip shortage bullshit wasn’t screwing up the entire car market we’d have a better idea of what this stuff is actually worth, but Dodge hasn’t made getting the HP cheap since Koons was slinging $52k Hellcats with cloth seats and an AM radio.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The Z06 suggested MSRP is $85k… less than the Charger RE I built on Dodge’s site.

If this chip shortage bullshit wasn’t screwing up the entire car market we’d have a better idea of what this stuff is actually worth, but Dodge hasn’t made getting the HP cheap since Koons was slinging $52k Hellcats with cloth seats and an AM radio.

I was actually thinking of the ZR-1 path. I think we could have a lot of tech and materials that could transform the Hellcat into something faster, but only if we willing to swallow another $30k or so.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@Jack_Toepfer the AM radio comment made me chuckle.

If they'd put some electric motors up front at say 100HP each and make the Hellcat AWD it'd be a winner IMO. A great "hybrid see look what we did" model.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Although the vette starts @ 58k..make no mistake you get to 90k..faster than a red eye gets from 0 to 60..;)

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I'd bet that $58k equipped Vettes will be much rarer than tricked out ones. Great job of marketing. Who in this day and age would buy the basic version? Most Vette buyers are not worried where their next meal is coming from, just like most of us Mopar fans. JMO

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
You guys are helping me make my point… that’s why Koons could sell those ugly houndstooth Hellcats for low 50s, cause for the $60+ that they stickered at, nobody was gonna but them. My Charger was stickered at $72 back in 2016… Hell of a lot of money for a $28k Charger with 700hp… but worth it!

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
You guys are helping me make my point… that’s why Koons could sell those ugly houndstooth Hellcats for low 50s, cause for the $60+ that they stickered at, nobody was gonna but them. My Charger was stickered at $72 back in 2016… Hell of a lot of money for a $28k Charger with 700hp… but worth it!
My '16 stickered for 72K as well with a 15K ADM. I bought it for 56K with 732 miles on it. Former owner needed the money for med school. I don't know if he paid the full 87K for the car.:eek:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My '16 stickered for 72K as well with a 15K ADM. I bought it for 56K with 732 miles on it. Former owner needed the money for med school. I don't know if he paid the full 87K for the car.:eek:
Now that's a score...those deals are aways out there..right place..right time..patience pays off..you did good;)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Now that's a score...those deals are aways out there..right place..right time..patience pays off..you did good;)
It helps alot when you walk into a sale and the seller is waiting for everyone to arrange financing and you lay down the cash and say " here ya go, now give me the keys "