Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

On the Fence about ordering a 2021 TRX

Do I order a 2021 TRX in exchange for my 2020 Raptor plus $5,000?

• Total voters

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Right, logic is about a 1% factor in buying a vehicle like that.

Passion = 99%

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #22
Goodies?? I doubt that a TRX is so boring to drive that you need adaptive cruise. Or that Montana even has enough traffic to make it usable.
Memory seats? Even I can tell if the seating position is comfortable or not. If it isn't, I can usually remember to change it.
Cooled seats? You're not in Yuma, AZ, and they all come with A/C, right?
To me part of the internal battle is the extra $2,000 for the creature comforts that I have in the Raptor. I can afford it, but it pushes the truck to have an 8 as the first number instead of a 7, and that’s really screwing with me.

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
What if it turns out that there will be no '22 TRX? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Then there's lots to lose money wise if this crazy market doesn't last.
I understand your point Jimmy and agree that is a risk. I'm purely answering what I would do, not necessarily what the OP should do. I'm willing to bet that there will be another model year unless Dodge continues to have issues with this model and the risk/reward for them is minimized. Everyone is free to spend their money as they wish and we all are at different points in our lives where we can accept more or less risk. Would I like to own a TRX? You bet. It's an awesome looking truck and the only negative to me is the current reported issues and the gas mileage would take some of the fun out of it for me, but then again, I'm retired for the most part and that matters a little. Either way, the OP is in a good place with deciding between a great looking paid for Raptor and a TRX below MSRP.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Let's put it this way; I don't have a whole lot of regrets, but the majority of the ones I do have is about things I didn't do.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Let's put it this way; I don't have a whole lot of regrets, but the majority of the ones I do have is about things I didn't do.
There are a few girls I didn't regret not doing:cool:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Oh, many I don't regret not doing, but also quite a few I do regret not doing.

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #27
I'm pretty sure I have made up my mind, but I'm going to think it over this weekend. By Monday I'll know for sure which way I'm going.

For the record- most of you (as well as the 12 year old living inside my head) are all a bad influence on me!

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Glad to help you spend your money! Only go around once...do it!

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
If you like it and want one then I'd get it now, if you wait for 2022 there's the possibility that demand for your Raptor won't be so great once Ford up their game with the R and the extra price difference will be off putting.

I've been toying with the idea of chopping in my much loved 19 Rebel for one but I'll probably need to add circa £40K. I've decided to do it but waiting to see if any other colour choices come out in a few months time.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
This is an interesting conversation and thread since I can totally relate with the Pondering. And I can personally say for myself if I second guess myself its usually a flag to not do a deal. And sure I have made many many purchases over the years of way too many vehicles. But one thing that always sticks in my head is the excitement factor over the rationale factor. And if the rationale factor outweighs the excitement factor I walk away. And trust me the excitement factor has far outweighed the rationale factor some 200 plus car purchases later😳

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
at a $70 or $80k price point, I wouldnt let an extra $2-3k stop me. Id pay the extra money, get the extra options you want and enjoy it. Big thing for me is Will there be a 22? If Trump were in office Id say nearly guaranteed and would wait, with this whimsical puppet, chances get better every day that there wont be.
were it me, Id get one while the gettin is good. Look at how many people were on teh fence with a durango hellcat and they sold out. How many waited till 21 to "see what is different" and now cant get a 6 speed hellcat they wanted. Granted the TRX wont sell out, but you have that kind of uncertainty going these days to where Id just strike while the deal is good.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Why the concern for 2022 TRX? It’s a truck application which typically has less EPA stringent guidelines. I can’t see the one and done for this and Dodge/Ram would have made that clear like they did the Demon and Durango. This truck is going to make them ridiculous profits which why kill the deal and heres Ford ratcheting it up for the 2022 Raptor R. So Ram throws it in Fords face to only drop out one year later after like 4 years of teasing us with the product. No way this is a 3-5 year truck.

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I agree, dealer( for what that's worth) has been assured July 25 is the opening of the 2022 ordering banks. Too much money to be made to make the TRX a one and done vehicle.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Here's a Launch Edition for sale in Maryland that I found while I was bouncing around the net.

https://www.joneschryslermaryland.c...altimore-21ae62e10a0e0ae8510df1196e1ad26b.htm

EDIT 4/11/21:
Went past the dealership today that has this TRX for sale. There is a $30k ADM added to the $97k price. So their asking price right now is $128,025 plus TTL.

A real bargain.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That want more to lease it then buy it
I didn't even look at anything else after I saw the $97k number.

I was just tossing it to the dogpile incase anyone was interested.

I saw it at the dealership last Sunday on the way back from my parents house and was curious what they wanted for it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Fair warning for those with a 4-post lift. My plan was to drive the TRX off the trailer and onto the lift before any actual driving took place.

Well, that didn't work out since the lift is too narrow. A creeper tour will have to do, but it's not quite the same.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They want more to lease it then buy it
went past there today..... $30k ADM too.

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #39
Fair warning for those with a 4-post lift. My plan was to drive the TRX off the trailer and onto the lift before any actual driving took place.

Well, that didn't work out since the lift is too narrow. A creeper tour will have to do, but it's not quite the same.
Did the dealer look at the PDF I posted on the first page?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Did the dealer look at the PDF I posted on the first page?
I have no idea. I guess you sent it to them?
We were busy checking the paperwork, and me getting some ordered stuff from the parts department.
I was probably out of there in 15 minutes, wanting to load the trailer and get back home.