Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picked up the new GT500 today!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Good first initial review. TY.

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Good question and thats a valid view which I talk about all the time to the point even the Hellcats. When I drove around in my SRT Challenger for a year waiting for my Hellcat I felt wow I just picked up a car and never could drive it and had mixed feelings. My SRT was truly a bad ass car bang for the buck and for the most driving conditions was fine. But me like many others have to have the latest greatest and all the media Hype drives this which is why I am being sincere and forth right about cars I buy. And all cars have their quirks its just part of the mechanical make up and mankind. The GT500 is by no means a Hellcat in the comfort and feel but the Hellcat is not a back road track car that will set records and factory that is. Sure a gutted out Challenger modified would probably hang pretty good. But the Mustang is from the Shelby heritage of just all out racing to the max. And the car feels just like that Shelby Heritage a race car and I don't know of a refined race car factory under 100K which I think your into the Ferrari and Lambo etc. But these will not be comfortable cars. And if you look at the Corvettes and Camaro Z28 and ZL1E these are track cars that will be noisy and stiff. I have come close to buying a Camaro Zl1E but I am not excited about the Chevy product and even the Corvette as well. The C8 hmm possible and never know with me if the Mustang doesn't fit the seat of my pants over time hell maybe I will pick up a C8. As far as the clunky and obnoxious and noisy she's a loud factory car and many feel the Hellcats are noisy and the GT is I feel louder and interior too. The obnoxious statement is she's a race set up car and she drives just like she wants to be at the track and dont know how you can go and race a factory set up car like this at the track and be a gentle timid quiet riding car. In fact you get a kit to adjust your camber and caster on the car to be race ready and you have a removable rain tray on the hood that has to be removed. Their is a whole section in the manual supplement of all the steps required before tracking her when you arrive at the track and then when you finish. As far as the trans its a Dual Clutch set up and I have watched the video on how this trans works and can understand the direct mechanical feel. Their is no torque converter which disperses the energy from the trans to the engine and this is one reason the car has high factory RWHP since their is no loss of energy from the motor to trans to the wheels unlike conventional auto that has the torque converter. And I correlate the direct feels of the down shifting for this reason. Summing it up this is what I have said more and more as I drive her she is a Race Car set up to race right out of the box. And sure most of the videos are the 1/4 mile track which she is fast and the lag off the line is from the DCT and you can see this on the videos. But not many personal videos showing how this car can go down back roads and take her to a track and rip up the course. Now I am a huge Mopar fan and always will and the Ford product is my new favorite and didn't grow up Ford but like a change up and the GT500 for me is the biggest change up to date.
Funny you should mention the ZL1E, I was going to write your review sounded closer to the ZL1E than the Challenger. I think these cars have a harder edge than most who can afford them will want. In 99% of the time two guys meet up on a road and they both put'm down to see who's faster, period. No body's doing a euro race rally. That being said, again I think most guys with the pockets (meaning over 45 well heeled individuals) want good looks, power/speed AND comfort. I think the racer aspect will wear off quicker for these buyers and they will be on the used market for younger buyers. Great initial review by the way, and very informative about the tranny. Again thanks for sharing (y)

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Just another stang. They will sit for 1.5 years and dad will pick one up for the kid. Good lukin car. How it rides?? Just how long is long island. About as long as an ice tea X 16. We have islands here, but we usually name after strippers. Saw a 350 last week and it looked small. Don't know why, except I parked my H/C next to it and it was small. The rear end was sporting, butt so is my neighbors. Car is cheaper.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Good question and thats a valid view which I talk about all the time to the point even the Hellcats. When I drove around in my SRT Challenger for a year waiting for my Hellcat I felt wow I just picked up a car and never could drive it and had mixed feelings. My SRT was truly a bad ass car bang for the buck and for the most driving conditions was fine. But me like many others have to have the latest greatest and all the media Hype drives this which is why I am being sincere and forth right about cars I buy. And all cars have their quirks its just part of the mechanical make up and mankind. The GT500 is by no means a Hellcat in the comfort and feel but the Hellcat is not a back road track car that will set records and factory that is. Sure a gutted out Challenger modified would probably hang pretty good. But the Mustang is from the Shelby heritage of just all out racing to the max. And the car feels just like that Shelby Heritage a race car and I don't know of a refined race car factory under 100K which I think your into the Ferrari and Lambo etc. But these will not be comfortable cars. And if you look at the Corvettes and Camaro Z28 and ZL1E these are track cars that will be noisy and stiff. I have come close to buying a Camaro Zl1E but I am not excited about the Chevy product and even the Corvette as well. The C8 hmm possible and never know with me if the Mustang doesn't fit the seat of my pants over time hell maybe I will pick up a C8. As far as the clunky and obnoxious and noisy she's a loud factory car and many feel the Hellcats are noisy and the GT is I feel louder and interior too. The obnoxious statement is she's a race set up car and she drives just like she wants to be at the track and dont know how you can go and race a factory set up car like this at the track and be a gentle timid quiet riding car. In fact you get a kit to adjust your camber and caster on the car to be race ready and you have a removable rain tray on the hood that has to be removed. Their is a whole section in the manual supplement of all the steps required before tracking her when you arrive at the track and then when you finish. As far as the trans its a Dual Clutch set up and I have watched the video on how this trans works and can understand the direct mechanical feel. Their is no torque converter which disperses the energy from the trans to the engine and this is one reason the car has high factory RWHP since their is no loss of energy from the motor to trans to the wheels unlike conventional auto that has the torque converter. And I correlate the direct feels of the down shifting for this reason. Summing it up this is what I have said more and more as I drive her she is a Race Car set up to race right out of the box. And sure most of the videos are the 1/4 mile track which she is fast and the lag off the line is from the DCT and you can see this on the videos. But not many personal videos showing how this car can go down back roads and take her to a track and rip up the course. Now I am a huge Mopar fan and always will and the Ford product is my new favorite and didn't grow up Ford but like a change up and the GT500 for me is the biggest change up to date.
Well stated. I fully understand your feelings. It's like tools in a tool box. You can do the job with many different tools. But one is better suited for that particular job over the others. If I'm going to assault a curvy back road I would do it on my YZFR1. not in a car. So I would have no use for a passenger car that was made to do that. My old Cat is just plain comfortable. LOL Enjoy that beautiful car.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Just another stang. They will sit for 1.5 years and dad will pick one up for the kid. Good lukin car. How it rides?? Just how long is long island. About as long as an ice tea X 16. We have islands here, but we usually name after strippers. Saw a 350 last week and it looked small. Don't know why, except I parked my H/C next to it and it was small. The rear end was sporting, butt so is my neighbors. Car is cheaper.
Lived here my whole life and never asked. LOL. Just googled it. 118mi. Watch those LI ice teas, they go down like...well, ice teas and they'll knock you on your A$$. And yea we got no fun names for anything here named after strippers. Island was built by blue bloods so it's all dignified names or indigenous people(Indian) names.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
No did you see a GT500 Magnetic which thats pretty cool. But no I was at the home all day working.
I’m not sure if it was a GT500? I was going North and it was going South. Your Charger will be a lot easier for me to identify when I see it going down the road!

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Bad ass.....

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Yeah you mentioned a few words that to me should not ever be associated with a 100K car. CLUNKY, OBNOXIOUS, and NOISY. Let me ask this. as of this moment.if the dealer called and ask if you would take your money back and return the car, Would you? and go and try something else? To me refinement means a lot. smooth, tight, not clunky. clunky indicates to much clearance or poor design. there is more to performance than just screaming Psycho power.
That's why I enjoy it here. Good back and forth and at the end of the day..car lovers...with individual tastes and opinions...but car lovers none the less.

Wearing the refinement lens...I've had 2 cars that were refinement opposites...a 2009 Viper ACR Hardcore and a 2012 Audi R8 V10.

The ACR had a hot dog cart suspension on the road (track ready adjustable), footwells that got hot as balls, interior that smelled like burnt popcorn when new, and after a drive it filled the garage with "snake stank" (it really had an odd odor when it got hot, y'all that have had that gen Viper know what I mean), carbon fiber plates where sound components would be. I loved that car and to this day regret trading it on...

The Audi R8 V10...stunningly beautiful, great build quality, everyone wanted to get a closer look at the "Tony Stark" car. My wife was really saddened when I sold it after a year and a half. It was really nice and beautiful but didn't stir my soul.

Odd how it works. I hopped out of a '16 Hellcat to get a Jaguar F-Type R. Thought it would be "it". But I'm back in a WBRE because that is what stirs my soul, American Muscle is what I love. Maybe not as refined but....good god y'all...rear drive, high horsepower insanity!!! My wife thinks I'm wired incorrectly.

E4EAA523-285F-41F6-AB73-AC5D8C8CCF73.jpeg
ACR prof.JPG

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Does the Honda have a manual transmission?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #90
Does the Honda have a manual transmission?
Yes with rev matching and that Turbo just pulls and pulls and blows away my former RS Focus. The Focus was too small and the R actually beats her on the track not off road but being she’s not AWD pretty impressive. And the R is so damn nimble and responsive with 44 less HP over the Focus. And this last summer I sold the RS thinking should I shouldn’t I and now I know yes. But she was a manual as well and really wanted to teach my daughter 16 how to drive a clutch. And now she’s driven the R with me sitting next to her snd she loves the R.
906F25C5-5774-4045-9A70-9BEAD75F5EAA.jpeg

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Yes with rev matching and that Turbo just pulls and pulls and blows away my former RS Focus. The Focus was too small and the R actually beats her on the track not off road but being she’s not AWD pretty impressive. And the R is so damn nimble and responsive with 44 less HP over the Focus. And this last summer I sold the RS thinking should I shouldn’t I and now I know yes. But she was a manual as well and really wanted to teach my daughter 16 how to drive a clutch. And now she’s driven the R with me sitting next to her snd she loves the R.
View attachment 13481
"Slow" never felt so fun, eh?

Hot hatches are hilarious because they allow you to wring them out in ways you cannot with an over-powered chassis.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well stated. I fully understand your feelings. It's like tools in a tool box. You can do the job with many different tools. But one is better suited for that particular job over the others. If I'm going to assault a curvy back road I would do it on my YZFR1. not in a car. So I would have no use for a passenger car that was made to do that. My old Cat is just plain comfortable. LOL Enjoy that beautiful car.
I agree...the only difference...I hit the backroads with my Panigale Tricolore ...refined..and really digs outta the corners...:D..and my 16 HC M6..is as comfortable as an old pair of slippers

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I get cha now. Long Island is damn long. When named, I guess all the natives were smoking, shrooming, and or shining and that is all they could come up with. 116 miles long,,, is damn long. Here we have islands named Hooker's Point. Ran out of hookers to name points of interest concerning their talents. Sum I lands can only handle 2 homes which creates a situation of whom owns the land and how to tax the piece of dirt. Mail,, forget that. A lot of independent pharmaceutical sales people visit these places when a sea plane happens to fly over. That or going grouper digging for square green bundles of fish that have never swam and taken to a safe house on an island. Named short island,,, but profitable to sum. The longer the island the less menschiness goes on. Makes since. Very low profile. During construction in Ybor City - Tampa,, got to tour underground tunnels that went on for 3 miles where they smuggled rum from the water front to mid town. Very interesting since the rum was being made on an island 6 miles off shore. Rumster Island I suppose. George Washington was a rum maker,, Billy Beer??

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Good write up. I should be getting my gt500 soon. Can’t wait

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #95
Here is my YouTube posting and yes I’m a rookie lol.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nice vid! Thanks for sharing the experience.

sounds real smooth on the freeway. Looks like it’s a nice cruiser also.
Those seats look comfy also. I got the recaros, so I’m not sure how less comfortable they will be, but those ones you got look almost like a challenger seat?

how would you compare the difference inside the cabin?

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #97
Nice vid! Thanks for sharing the experience.

sounds real smooth on the freeway. Looks like it’s a nice cruiser also.
Those seats look comfy also. I got the recaros, so I’m not sure how less comfortable they will be, but those ones you got look almost like a challenger seat?

how would you compare the difference inside the cabin?
Challenger is roomier but the GT is sportier feeling and comfortable as well. A lot more interior noise from the exhaust and if you like the rumble then she’s all out the rumble.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #98

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Great video's and commentary! Very helpful and nice collection of vehicles. Thanks for taking the time to do these.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD