Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thanks for that info. I’m swapping it for the Barton anyways, so we’ll see. I’m 99% sure it’s the bearing though, which I’m hoping Dodge will cover under warranty.

If not, no big deal. I’ll live with it for a bit (not my daily driver) and pull the transmission when it gets warm haha.
Wondering if the dealer will make a stink with the stock shifter removed?🤔

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thanks for that info. I’m swapping it for the Barton anyways, so we’ll see. I’m 99% sure it’s the bearing though, which I’m hoping Dodge will cover under warranty.

If not, no big deal. I’ll live with it for a bit (not my daily driver) and pull the transmission when it gets warm haha.
as long as your power train warranty is in effect you should be good, only issue I could see is if its the clutch itself but it would be slipping if that were the case

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #143
Wondering if the dealer will make a stink with the stock shifter removed?🤔
Yeah I thought about that a bit but not sure how they’d relate a shifter to causing throw out bearing problems.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #144
as long as your power train warranty is in effect you should be good, only issue I could see is if its the clutch itself but it would be slipping if that were the case
No slippage at all and honestly the noise isn’t all that bad. If I put a piece of insulation below the shifter boot, I’d probably never hear it.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #145
Got it up in the air today and went through it. Really happy with how this turned out, the car is in excellent shape and exactly how the seller described.

Pulled the MFERs off and a few small other things the previous owner did (tinted film on side markers, aftermarket center caps, etc.) Dropped the wheels off to get balanced and noticed a couple of the lugs are swelling.

Really happy to find the brakes are in good shape. With only 21k miles I wasn’t expecting them to be bad but you never know.

Called my local dealer to inquire about lug nuts and they wanted $16 EACH! Maybe he was confused but that was a hard pass haha.

Ordered a set of Gorilla lug nuts and Powerstop Z26s all around. Hoping swapping the pads now will increase the longevity of the rotors.

77F34FAC-C432-46D1-B865-62262BD39403.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ordered a set of Gorilla lug nuts and Powerstop Z26s all around. Hoping swapping the pads now will increase the longevity of the rotors.

Assuming an appropriately matching driving behavior, absolutely.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Got it up in the air today and went through it. Really happy with how this turned out, the car is in excellent shape and exactly how the seller described.

Pulled the MFERs off and a few small other things the previous owner did (tinted film on side markers, aftermarket center caps, etc.) Dropped the wheels off to get balanced and noticed a couple of the lugs are swelling.

Really happy to find the brakes are in good shape. With only 21k miles I wasn’t expecting them to be bad but you never know.

Called my local dealer to inquire about lug nuts and they wanted $16 EACH! Maybe he was confused but that was a hard pass haha.

View attachment 61940
Good move on the lug nuts. When I had some PS4s put on last summer, the Discount Tire guy told me the two piece originals were prone to swelling and sold me an aftermarket set. Guess he wasn’t BS’ing.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #148
Good move on the lug nuts. When I had some PS4s put on last summer, the Discount Tire guy told me the two piece originals were prone to swelling and sold me an aftermarket set. Guess he wasn’t BS’ing.
Yeah, I had 2-3 that I could only get the socket about 1/2 of the way on. Wasn’t an issue but it definitely is worth an ounce of prevention. Imagine getting a flat tire in the middle of nowhere and not being able to get those things off.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #149
@BULL or anyone else that knows,

I just read through the Barton spring mod Wiki. At the end, it says V2 and V3 are "consistent" with the Wiki. Does that mean Barton had modified those shifters already or that the Wiki instructions are correct for those two versions?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
@BULL or anyone else that knows,

I just read through the Barton spring mod Wiki. At the end, it says V2 and V3 are "consistent" with the Wiki. Does that mean Barton had modified those shifters already or that the Wiki instructions are correct for those two versions?

My direct involvement with Barton ended at the end of V1, my understanding of V2 and V3 are angular changes to the shifter/stops. As such, the spring mod I wrote up "should" apply to the newer versions, I simply haven't had the chance to physically check it out.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm reaching out to Dave at Barton (owner) to ask about what the changes are between V1, V2 and V3.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #152
Struggling with this right now. This shift boot is not going to fit all the way over the handle and seat in that groove, not even close on mine.

What am I missing?

DD77285F-22F1-4172-9C4C-D830D8BDC646.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Struggling with this right now. This shift boot is not going to fit all the way over the handle and seat in that groove, not even close on mine.

What am I missing?

View attachment 62004

I stuck with the O.E. stick on mine.

A suggestion would be to soak the boot in hot water for several minutes.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Just the tip (so to speak)...

:unsure::p

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Look at about the 6 minute mark:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #157
Well I got the Barton installed today and I’m happy to say that the noises from the throw out bearing and transmission are significantly reduced and it now sounds normal to me.

It’s not the shifter though, the previous owner just didn’t put the rubber seal on correctly that fits into the metal plate that bolts to the floor and seals between it and the shifter assembly. My guess is it was close and eventually just worked it’s way off over time.

I didn’t do the spring mod but I’m happy with it how it is, the force going into 5th or 6th doesn’t seem overwhelming to me and rather natural. Left the shift boot off for now so I can spend a little more time driving the car and get the shifter position dialed in.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry if you said this already, what version was yours?

V3?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #159
Sorry if you said this already, what version was yours?

V3?
Yes. It’s stiff but just doesn’t bother me. I could see how someone might not like it though.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Well I got the Barton installed today and I’m happy to say that the noises from the throw out bearing and transmission are significantly reduced and it now sounds normal to me.

It’s not the shifter though, the previous owner just didn’t put the rubber seal on correctly that fits into the metal plate that bolts to the floor and seals between it and the shifter assembly. My guess is it was close and eventually just worked it’s way off over time.

I didn’t do the spring mod but I’m happy with it how it is, the force going into 5th or 6th doesn’t seem overwhelming to me and rather natural. Left the shift boot off for now so I can spend a little more time driving the car and get the shifter position dialed in.
We’ll after trying to remove the studs on that BMW I’m sure this was a walk in the park. 😂