Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Pinning the crank, and now I'm stuck. Help please...

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
So I'm following Speedy's tutorial on YT. Car up plenty high on the Quick jack. So far so good. I was warned against covering myself in coolant, so that's exactly what I did, no prob. Now I'm to the point of removing the stock crank bolt. 2015 M6 HC, tranny in gear, parking brake set. I put some torque to the crank bolt, motor spins. Rear tires don't move. I put ramps under the front tires, dropped the rear tires to the ground hoping this would help, but I already know that it won't. Put another twist on the crank bolt, motor turns again. So now it appears my clutch isn't holding for shit, is that a fair assumption? Only an easy 6k on the car, and there is no clutch slip...Anyway, back to my current problem, how can I break that factory bolt, and apply the new one, which requires a shit ton more torque? Speedy used an expensive appearing tool to lock his the crank on his auto car. Any suggestions before I'm forced to pony up for one of them? Looks like I'm done for the day/week. Thanks as always.

PS-whenever it seems I wan't to do the right preventative maintenance thing, I wind up making more work for myself. Pretty discouraging, but still, I never learn. Frustrating.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You may have to get the tool speedy used. When we did @jonx96 I was able to hold the flex plate with a screw driver but that won't work for you

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I know this is very unlikely, but just for grins, take the parking brake off and put some rotation on the motor and see if you get driveshaft rotation.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
You may have to get the tool speedy used. When we did @jonx96 I was able to hold the flex plate with a screw driver but that won't work for you
Gear head something to jam Into there as well. May be easier to fine

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Algonquin
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Is there an inspection cover on the transmission bell housing? Otherwise have to remove starter and access flywheel to lock teeth with a big flat head screw driver or pry bar.

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #6
@BULL I'll try that next time under the car. Right now I'm showered and done for the day. In the meantime I found the took for 135.00, so not too bad, I guess...
@3 Pedal Cat I don't believe so, no, not in an M6 car there isn't, A8's only.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Also try reverse.

Two reasons for this, it's a lower ratio by a bit, therefor a bit more resistance... (2.90 vs 2.26)

And if your clutch is slipping, spinning the opposite direction sometimes won't slip as much (as me how I know).

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #9
@T_Trahan44 Thanks but pls don't bother. I can score the tool for alot less than that tool I'm sure, and I'm certain it will work.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
@T_Trahan44 Thanks but pls don't bother. I can score the tool for alot less than that tool I'm sure, and I'm certain it will work.
It’s no bother. I’ve got lots of tools linked in my browser. I’m a tool junky and constantly look for the best deals or keep my eyes open for new tools just in case a friend has a specific request!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So I'm following Speedy's tutorial on YT. Car up plenty high on the Quick jack. So far so good. I was warned against covering myself in coolant, so that's exactly what I did, no prob. Now I'm to the point of removing the stock crank bolt. 2015 M6 HC, tranny in gear, parking brake set. I put some torque to the crank bolt, motor spins. Rear tires don't move. I put ramps under the front tires, dropped the rear tires to the ground hoping this would help, but I already know that it won't. Put another twist on the crank bolt, motor turns again. So now it appears my clutch isn't holding for shit, is that a fair assumption? Only an easy 6k on the car, and there is no clutch slip...Anyway, back to my current problem, how can I break that factory bolt, and apply the new one, which requires a shit ton more torque? Speedy used an expensive appearing tool to lock his the crank on his auto car. Any suggestions before I'm forced to pony up for one of them? Looks like I'm done for the day/week. Thanks as always.

PS-whenever it seems I wan't to do the right preventative maintenance thing, I wind up making more work for myself. Pretty discouraging, but still, I never learn. Frustrating.
LOL... that may be...but us old guys never give up...and always figure things out...(y)

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Also try reverse.

Two reasons for this, it's a lower ratio by a bit, therefor a bit more resistance... (2.90 vs 2.26)

And if your clutch is slipping, spinning the opposite direction sometimes won't slip as much (as me how I know).
Exactly what I was thinking. Assuming you had the trans in 1st? @Old Mopar Guy

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat A8 and 2016 M6
I didnt have any problems with my 2016 m6 just took the cover off and slide the flywheel locking tool into the slots and it held. But the first time O done mine I didnt have the flywheel tool so I took a small pair of vise grips and locked it down with them. It may turn a little till it catches and then the pliers will hold. But that crank bolt needs a good whack to jar it!!! put your socket and pull handle on it and just once knock hell out of it to jar it.....then slide a pipe over your pull handle and it'll come lose. Be damn sure it's in gear it should the motor shouldnt spin

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
When I pinned the crank in my M6 GTO I put it in 5th gear and set the e-brake to remove the crank bolt. Nothing moved but the bolt.

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #15
@Smitty yup. Tranny in 1st. I'll try R or 6th next time, I've got company coming over in a little while and I'm making a few pizzas, so I've got to run. Thanks as always fellas...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You making those pizzas, or thawing them out? :)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
@BULL I'll try that next time under the car. Right now I'm showered and done for the day. In the meantime I found the took for 135.00, so not too bad, I guess...
Damn Tony hope you get it eventually.💪
What was that holding tool part number?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It’s no bother. I’ve got lots of tools linked in my browser. I’m a tool junky and constantly look for the best deals or keep my eyes open for new tools just in case a friend has a specific request!
Tool junkie eh...:unsure::unsure:....always got yer eyes open for new tools ya say..:whistle::whistle::whistle:...

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
There is an inspection cover on the bell housing of the M6. If you look from the front of the car, it’s on the bottom where the bell housing mates to the block.

Just one or two small bolts and it slides out. Can’t remember if you can access the flywheel or not from there though.