Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear Brake Question

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
My parts manager is on the search for a set of AA or AB pads, if there's any out there.

EDIT - Looks like he found two sets at two different dealers here in Houston. I should have both sets here on Friday. Since I only have around 300 miles on the car so far, I'm sure I can just swap them out without doing anything with the rotors.

Last edited:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Oh I forgot....I ordered Fronts and Rears....did you order both too? not that it matters, I was going to do this anyway for dust reduction but I wasn't going to do it until later in the yea.
I just ordered the rears. My car doesn’t have the big brake kit and the dust is nowhere near the level those things create.

I think it’s absolutely asinine that FCA would create a pad that Only uses 3/4 of the rotor To solve an almost non existent noise. ITS NOT EVEN THE REARS THAT MAKE MOST OF THE NOISE! Have they no fking clue that doing so to a car like this with drivers who are far more attentive to their stuff than the average 200 driver would create even MORE problems and Ill will for them than a little noise from pads we will eventually change anyway?

granted I’m not lacking for brake power on the street with those pads on and I do drive hard but those fkrz are coming off this weekend for a set that sweeps the entire disc.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #103
I just ordered the rears. My car doesn’t have the big brake kit and the dust is nowhere near the level those things create.

I think it’s absolutely asinine that FCA would create a pad that Only uses 3/4 of the rotor To solve an almost non existent noise. ITS NOT EVEN THE REARS THAT MAKE MOST OF THE NOISE! Have they no fking clue that doing so to a car like this with drivers who are far more attentive to their stuff than the average 200 driver would create even MORE problems and Ill will for them than a little noise from pads we will eventually change anyway?

granted I’m not lacking for brake power on the street with those pads on and I do drive hard but those fkrz are coming off this weekend for a set that sweeps the entire disc.
I don't blame you, I am doing the same. I went with all 4 as I have the Dynamics package and the front brake dust is horrible lol I was going to wait until the factory pads wore out, but since I am already biting the bullet on the rears I figure I might as well just do all 4. Kind of sucks to change the brake pads out on a brand new car.......I did have a $100 amazon gift card though from my birthday. Otherwise I would have ordered from Summit and I would probably have the damn things by now......stupid Amazon currently saying will be delivered on approx 4/28. I called customer service and asked how parts to keep my car safe to drive to get groceries is not more urgent? lol

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I've heard some from mine every now and then, mainly the fronts. Interesting. "Let's make an engineering change for cosmetic reasons." But then again, cosmetics is what it is all about. Would we be in these cars if they looked like a Pinto? Probably not (well, maybe you two door guys).
only if I can cram a 2.3 turbo from the thunderbird or svo in it.....then you'd have something.....oh yeah......

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
here's a pic from a new on the lot Charger.....

9970d8d20a0e0ac963c3201e6c1dde32.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
lol, oh man is that rich

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That brake solution....

Part_Man_Part_Sleeping_Bag.jpg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
here's a pic from a new on the lot Charger.....

View attachment 15457
Looks like the new standard across the board for the performance brake package. Doesn't SRT have anything to say about this? Not boding well, when the performance experts at the performance end of the mother company get over-ridden by office people responding to customer comments on non- performance issues. Soooo if these same people bought RE's and complained the supercharger whine was too loud, does that mean they grind off 25% of the supercharger. Oh wait, then it would just be a regular Hellcat. :p .

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
One word of caution:

As part of this change, it is possible that the proportioning valve may have been changed as well to rebalance the whole system.

Changing to a "full" pad might set that balance off...

:unsure:

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
One word of caution:

As part of this change, it is possible that the proportioning valve may have been changed as well to rebalance the whole system.

Normally, from an engineering perspective, I'd agree with you. This strikes me as more of a hack job - quick and dirty.

I'm just imagining the conversation with Brembo.

"Hello? Brembo? FCA here."

"Good Morning! What can we do for you?"

"You know those rear pads you've been supplying us? Was hoping you could make a small change for us. We need you to hack off about a half inch worth of material from the outside perimeter."

(silence)

"Hello? Brembo? You still there?"

"Sorry. Yes, we're here. So would you just want us to make smaller pads themselves? Along with a caliper and rotor to match?"

"No, no. Nothing like that. Just take a grinder to the ones you have. It'll be fine."

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Well, we could all machine down the rotors to match and loose some dead weight. :unsure::giggle:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Well, we could all machine down the rotors to match and loose some dead weight. :unsure::giggle:
I was looking at that too. What's the point of a rotor that big if you're going to have all of the unswept area? not to mention that this will cause the rotor to wear in a concave fashion.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #113
One word of caution:

I would bet money that that hasn't happened simply because there are zero aftermarket pads available with the same change...and I would say that is also unlikely that you will see that. I will report back my findings onc my swap is complete and I am full sweep.

Oh and also....the traction control system works by monitoring each wheel's speed so that would take care of that along with ABS, which is why I suspect no other changes....

Last edited:

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
One word of caution:

I had that thought as well. Star Parts catalog does not show any p/n changes or updates to any of the major brake system components YOY.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
My parts manager is on the search for a set of AA or AB pads, if there's any out there.

EDIT - Looks like he found two sets at two different dealers here in Houston. I should have both sets here on Friday. Since I only have around 300 miles on the car so far, I'm sure I can just swap them out without doing anything with the rotors.
D5C78FF1-BD38-4AA8-B8AC-D04B115AF974.jpeg

42B62305-C826-4DF7-A841-7B1FF6556870.jpeg

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That is still bizarre to me. I suppose they did testing to determine that the sloped pads actually decrease the hated sound, and that there is no significant decrease in performance.....

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
That is still bizarre to me. I suppose they did testing to determine that the sloped pads actually decrease the hated sound, and that there is no significant decrease in performance.....
The funny thing.... my ‘16 never made rear brake noise. My new 2020 does.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
As mentioned, IF they were going to cut the pads down, they should have made smaller rotors to match. This is such a hack job! I would expect this from FORD but not Mopar.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
3 challengers, 2 with big brake kits, current without. Rear brakes never made noise