Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Recommened Hellcat Axle Upgrade?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
All I'm finding is pst in new jersey. Performance Suspension Technology.

I found them.
. Precision Shaft Technologies

Attachments

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
. Precision Shaft Technologies
I talked to them and they need measurements. HHP has an aluminum one in stock along with the lock outs so I ordered it. I can always replace it later.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I went Redeye half shafts and ended up having to source them from a donor car at salvage. They worked out great though and super happy so far.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Definitely time to upgrade driveshaft and axles. I've run a DSS aluminum and currently have a QA1 carbon shaft. Running Demon axles. The BMR lockout is absolutely worth it as well. quick note, the 2021 widebody cars have the Redeye axles in them.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I talked to them and they need measurements. HHP has an aluminum one in stock along with the lock outs so I ordered it. I can always replace it later.
I’ve come to believe that the cradle lock outs are the number one critical piece to start the rear end process. I believe that DSS requires them to warranty their stuff. David here actually documented how much that cradle can/will move, impacting the shaft and transmission.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
I’ve come to believe that the cradle lock outs are the number one critical piece to start the rear end process. I believe that DSS requires them to warranty their stuff. David here actually documented how much that cradle can/will move, impacting the shaft and transmission.
I'm setting up getting them put in now. No warranty without them.

Next Tuesday for the lockouts and driveshaft install. Now I can make a hit and not worry so much about breaking it.

Axles are next.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd do the drive shaft and Per4mance Development big boy diff brace and call it a day. I'm on stock axles and have a stack of time slips an inch thick most of which are 10.00 or better. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also just confirmed with my buddy who's got the quickest 6spd Hellcat (I think) and he's still on stock axles and he's been racing it since 2015. He broke one axle a couple years back but that's it in 8 years. His car is pretty well modified 15" conversion, big sticky tires, 2.65 upper pulley, and he has a 2 step set at like 5,000 RPM. He won the stick shift shootout at Moparty the past 2 years.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
I'd do the drive shaft and Per4mance Development big boy diff brace and call it a day. I'm on stock axles and have a stack of time slips an inch thick most of which are 10.00 or better. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also just confirmed with my buddy who's got the quickest 6spd Hellcat (I think) and he's still on stock axles and he's been racing it since 2015. He broke one axle a couple years back but that's it in 8 years. His car is pretty well modified 15" conversion, big sticky tires, 2.65 upper pulley, and he has a 2 step set at like 5,000 RPM. He won the stick shift shootout at Moparty the past 2 years.

I've had the big diff brace for a couple of years now. It was 1 of my 1st mods. Added the front brace earlier this year. I'm getting it gone through again on Wednesday so hopefully the axles and driveshaft look good for testing on Friday.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
I recently added a PST Carbon Fiber to mine. It’s tested to 2800 lbs torque. The same 3.75” shaft is available for the Hellcat now. The only caution would be that you will need to do a serious job of heat shielding the exhaust if you are running on the street. I think that shaft is running right around $2k. It’s super light and balanced/rpm limit rated to 14,000 rpm. View attachment 86029 View attachment 86030 View attachment 86031
Where did you get the driveshaft loop at. I have 1 and it looks like 1/4 the strength of yours.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Where did you get the driveshaft loop at. I have 1 and it looks like 1/4 the strength of yours.
That is a TH400 crossmember/trans mount with the loop. Not for you. Yet 😂 we sell them when you’re ready. 422DDDFF-362F-4D72-AB28-1BBE839092F8.jpeg 53F26E87-F9DE-4BED-B7A4-3D9A84448C44.jpeg

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #31

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
yep, having OD of some sort is the way to go for D&D events then you can gear more optimally for 1/4 mile perf.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
That is a TH400 crossmember/trans mount with the loop. Not for you. Yet 😂 we sell them when you’re ready. View attachment 86056 View attachment 86057
Those are sweet! I’ve gotta find or make one for an m6 with dss and Barton. The gforce has terrible fitment. Almost got sent home the other night for not having it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If I ever change it will probably be a 4L80E or whatever it's called. In case I do drag and drive.
How fast you plan on going? The 8 speed will go well into the 8s if not the 7s

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35
Nothing to do with speed.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

I've seen his posts of progress at the other place, but I dont think he post anymore. Do you know if he's still using that rxt1200? I ended up going with mantic, but his success with the mcleod really kept me second guessing what to get.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Those are sweet! I’ve gotta find or make one for an m6 with dss and Barton. The gforce has terrible fitment. Almost got sent home the other night for not having it.
Problem is there aren’t enough M6 cars drag racing to warrant mass producing one. I don’t doubt that we could build one just like that for your M6 but it would probably run you $1k for the labor at the shop rate. Those loops that bolt to the stock crossmember with a couple bolts are bs. That DS ever breaks, it will tear one of those right out and start twirling it around.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You don’t have to look any further than Zdung to see how fast you can go with a hp90. 7.7’s at 184 mph now😵‍💫. You need to be sponsored by a trans company like he is (Paramount) to do that. I just saw the picture of him smiling as he changed his broken 8 spd at the track before making his omg pass. He’s got that down now 😂. The new internals available make the hp90’s a lot stronger than in the past, so unless you’re running a M6 (easy swap to the 400) or are planning on going past 1200 whp, I think you’re good with one of the improved 8 speeds.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I have both the front and rear diff braces so that's covered.
What’s a front diff brace? Is it an extra piece for the diff? (The only diff on the car.)

My buddy has an E85 M6 ‘Cat and he broke an axle the first time he had traction. Fewer than 10 hits on the car. Breaking axles isn’t as common on the A8 cars because there isn’t as much shock, I don’t think. Especially when you consider how many stock axles are running 9s or 8s vs total M6 cars in the 9s. M6 cars with traction and a clutch should consider bringing a spare to the track.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Chad isn't have problems with his M6 and races all the time. He did go to DSS axles for one race and they "clunked" his words not mine so he went back to stock. That was 4 years ago. Maybe your buddy isn't loading the drive line at launch or something? I always brought my clutch up to the grab point before letting her rip back when I raced an M6.

I guess my point is that if those stock axles are working in Chad's M6 running 9s (a lot) then they should be good to go in an A8. With all the issues I hear about on upgraded axles, if I did anything at all it would be going to Redeye versions.