Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stinkeye Challenger build....

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
I’ll try and get a pic of mine. It’s a lot cleaner and studied than that

Sorry

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
It attaches at the two mounting holes in the tail shaft housing using a stock GM mount.
Put the trans in and didn't like the rpm being so high when I just wanted to take it on a cruise I have 3.70 rare gears so I added a gear vendors OD
witch made my driveline a lot shorter so when I put my driveline loop in I used the stock carrier brg location
only gave me about 3/4 of a inch clearance didn't want to take a chance with the carbon fibre driveline
Now gear vendors I like ! How long is your driveshaft now? By shortening your driveshaft you now have a much higher critical speed which is always a plus.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Coan Engineering T400 is in. Thanks to Micha at OST for his help. The complete package as it is available makes this a very simple mod. All of the decisions regarding what is needed for this have been put together and for the most part it is bolt in. Kinda like a CAI. 😂 Here it is as of today.... View attachment 9679
Is that DS loop in single shear? Because that is kinda sketchy. Not to mention it is attached to a cast aluminum bracket, and with some really small hardware.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Sorry Marc but when it comes to automotive I am strictly against interracial mating .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
You have a German transmission from the factory.

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
I have the OST plate and side to side movement was 3/4 of a inch each direction couldn't take a chance the way this is setup there is no movement in trans and gearvendor unit much more solid
Driveshaft is 54 inches

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #186
Is that DS loop in single shear? Because that is kinda sketchy. Not to mention it is attached to a cast aluminum bracket, and with some really small hardware.
. Yeah. I have never cared for that contraption. It’s too heavy for one thing. The OEM crossmember is very stout. I don’t think there is a problem with that but the attachment hardware is sort of a tack it on there and see if it might work. The thing came off my A8 and it was designed to attach to that crossmember exactly the same as that. The hardware at the very least will be changed and I’m going to see if I can’t come up with something custom that will be a better design.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
The OEM crossmember is very stout.
To support the weight of a transmission yes, not to survive a driveline impact... and especially not after the structural ribs have been ground away (directly inline with the potential point of impact).

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #188
I have the OST plate and side to side movement was 3/4 of a inch each direction couldn't take a chance the way this is setup there is no movement in trans and gearvendor unit much more solid
Driveshaft is 54 inches
Ok then. We will have to take a serious look at that. I know it’s impossible to do but if you get a picture of the actual attachment at the trans that would be of interest. We’re not done with this thing up on the lift so brainstorming all the possibilities will be considered. Thanks.

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
Here are some better pictures
It’s made out of channel and 1x1 square tubing
It mounts to the two holes To the rear in tail housing behind the adapter plate

Attachments

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
Mount on trans

Attachments

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Haha. There’s about as much GM in this thing as there is Ford in my Strange 9” rear end.
Does that make it a hybrid🤔

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #192
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #193
With the car down for the trans swap.... I thought it would be a good time to inspect the rear end gears. The DSS rear end conversion uses a Strange 9” gear set in a aluminum carrier. When it comes to the choice of ring and pinion gears for these, you have to decide whether you want to go with a hardened “street” gear that is somewhat power limited, or the “Pro” gear that by comparison... is not. The street pinion is a rather puny 28 spline that is said to not be up to the task with what I’m doing. So.... I made the decision to go with the 35 spline Pro in a 3.40 ratio to work with the T400. The downside (there’s always gotta be a downside) is they are soft. The steel is soft. They are engineered to absorb the shock that they will see on launch with a high hp drag car. They are “not for street use”. I’m thinking.... yeah but you can still drive them in the street. What’s the worst that can happen? They will wear out faster. The question is... how much faster? I’ve been told that if you do any prolonged driving (like on the highway) they will get hot and wreak the gears within a matter of minutes. Others have suggested maybe 150 miles of street use and they’ll need to be replaced. Strange says.... 15 to 300 passes on the quarter mile... “depending”. That’s a big help. So between engine break-in time, dyno time (40 mile round trip freeway drive to get there and back), data logging miles on the street and last but not least.... those long hot 1/2 mile pulls at over 180 mph. I figured we should take a look see at what was going on in there. There was a lot of metal in the oil so there’s definitely some wear going on. But the gears.... look ok to me! What the hell 😂. I have another complete 3rd member with the same 3.40 gear coming next week and we’ll be using that for our first round of testing on the track. That will give us a chance to evaluate that ratio and change to another gear if we think it would be better. In the mean time I’ll see if I can find somebody who is actually experienced at judging the wear on these gears to get a legit opinion. I have right at 400 miles on them. They are not loose feeling as far as lash goes and I’m thinking that with fresh oil every 400 miles they could go another three times that. I’m also thinking that I’ll be getting experienced at changing out 3rd members on the floor of my garage. Lots of stinky gear oil. 😝 5873B6CE-FB24-4274-B624-4AFE77211731.jpeg

Marc0779

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Key largo
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye/demon
With the car down for the trans swap.... I thought it would be a good time to inspect the rear end gears. The DSS rear end conversion uses a Strange 9” gear set in a aluminum carrier. When it comes to the choice of ring and pinion gears for these, you have to decide whether you want to go with a hardened “street” gear that is somewhat power limited, or the “Pro” gear that by comparison... is not. The street pinion is a rather puny 28 spline that is said to not be up to the task with what I’m doing. So.... I made the decision to go with the 35 spline Pro in a 3.40 ratio to work with the T400. The downside (there’s always gotta be a downside) is they are soft. The steel is soft. They are engineered to absorb the shock that they will see on launch with a high hp drag car. They are “not for street use”. I’m thinking.... yeah but you can still drive them in the street. What’s the worst that can happen? They will wear out faster. The question is... how much faster? I’ve been told that if you do any prolonged driving (like on the highway) they will get hot and wreak the gears within a matter of minutes. Others have suggested maybe 150 miles of street use and they’ll need to be replaced. Strange says.... 15 to 300 passes on the quarter mile... “depending”. That’s a big help. So between engine break-in time, dyno time (40 mile round trip freeway drive to get there and back), data logging miles on the street and last but not least.... those long hot 1/2 mile pulls at over 180 mph. I figured we should take a look see at what was going on in there. There was a lot of metal in the oil so there’s definitely some wear going on. But the gears.... look ok to me! What the hell 😂. I have another complete 3rd member with the same 3.40 gear coming next week and we’ll be using that for our first round of testing on the track. That will give us a chance to evaluate that ratio and change to another gear if we think it would be better. In the mean time I’ll see if I can find somebody who is actually experienced at judging the wear on these gears to get a legit opinion. I have right at 400 miles on them. They are not loose feeling as far as lash goes and I’m thinking that with fresh oil every 400 miles they could go another three times that. I’m also thinking that I’ll be getting experienced at changing out 3rd members on the floor of my garage. Lots of stinky gear oil. 😝 View attachment 10312
That was a great write up mark as you know i have the same setup i had around 300 drag runs on my set,no street driving and mine looked good also. 20190619_082306.jpg

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I also do rear diff rebuilds and it normal to see some metal wear on break in
I’ve seen this on my own personal ones and usually see less when serviced

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Oh and both of them gear sets look great 👍

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #197
Oh oh..... there’s always one more thing. :giggle: 72CB4EA7-8EDB-40B1-AC75-9C5252D65E38.jpeg

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #198
Ok. The new third member is ready to go in and get this thing running with the new trans. The decision to pull and check the original was based on the word that the soft Pro Gears would be toast in short order if driven on the street. Going to a 9” with a weak street gear set wasn’t a good option in my opinion so we decided to give the Pros a shot and see what happened. Basically...... nothing. Side by side comparison of the gears that came out and these new ones don’t present any obvious wear that would lead us to believe that they need to be replaced. So.... anybody that might decide to go this direction with a 9” diff can make their decision based on this. Besides dyno time, we put six full power half mile runs, 3 quarter mile runs and 400 miles of street and highway miles that included a number of WOT pulls for data logging. That’s obviously not a lifetime of driving but the idea that these can’t be occasionally used on the street is bs. So... now we have two. That will give us the option of having a different gear ratio and a relatively quick change if necessary. 914084FA-0A3E-4D90-883A-85EEBEE093D0.jpeg

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #199
Finishing up! Shifter with transbrake and 2step control 😊 344ED725-6FD0-440A-B34E-82361893A22B.jpeg

Last edited:

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country