Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock battery

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
True, there are other US battery makers like EnerSys, Arc Angel etc. that make mostly low volume specialty stuff - off-road, racing, marine, aircraft etc. but they are not the brands you're most likely to encounter in your typical passenger car/truck especially as an OE battery.
Very true, and it's why these forums help educate ourselves with other product offerings - with more than what Wal-Mart has in stock. The Johnson Controls brand name has gone down hill, like their Optima batteries have been getting bad reviews for many years in the Jeep forums, ever since Johnson Controls bought them and moved manufacturing to Mexico.

Last edited:

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It’s interesting that the last operating lead mine in the US was in Missouri hence them making batteries there I bet. Obama closed that mine. Not political just fact. Now all our lead for batteries and bullets come from recycled lead and foreign sources like China. Great forsight if we ever fight them.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And then there's this little inconvenient fact the tree hugging, electric car crowd likes to ignore:

"The U.S., which once controlled the lithium mining industry, produced just 3% of the world's lithium supply in 2015, according to Deutsche Bank, with Chile (37%), Australia (33%), Argentina (11%), and China (10%) dominating lithium production. "

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I know that all batteries can have issues...

But I always like to share the stories of TWO Optima batteries that I saw that DESTROYED the cars they were in when they suffered some sort of internal failure/short...

The resulting fire/explosion ****** the two cars like you might not believe. I've seen other batteries do damage, but nothing like the Optimas did...

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Optima is yet another example of a company that made a great product here in the US, but sold out (to JC) who killed the US based production in favor of their facility in Mex.
Quality noticeably declined after the move, but they still coast along on their prior reputation.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Worked for the union, only idiots, that would work in the Johnson Controls plant in Tampa. It is big, messy, dangerous, and full of $$$$. Retired with honors at 23.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Optima is yet another example of a company that made a great product here in the US, but sold out (to JC) who killed the US based production in favor of their facility in Mex.
Quality noticeably declined after the move, but they still coast along on their prior reputation.
I bought an OPTIMA when they 1st came out to try for my big block Chevy. I could NOT believe the power it had.(and HEAVY). It literally turned that motor like I took the plugs out! I would let it sit in winter and it would still fire the motor right up. It was truly an impressive battery. When it finally died years later, I went to PEP BOYS and bought another. Total sh%$. Was weaker or same than any other battery. Would not hold charge if left unused for a length of time also. What a shock. There definitely was a difference. I will not buy again. Now I use INTERSTATE green top's for me and wife. Work perfectly fine. They also have the super duty glass mat impregnated batteries but they are HEAVY also.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
And then there's this little inconvenient fact the tree hugging, electric car crowd likes to ignore:

"The U.S., which once controlled the lithium mining industry, produced just 3% of the world's lithium supply in 2015, according to Deutsche Bank, with Chile (37%), Australia (33%), Argentina (11%), and China (10%) dominating lithium production. "
Environmental regulations will eventually destroy the economy of this country and us with it. Then we will all have to cut down every tree in sight just to stay alive. Not sure if they understand that? Their ideas just don’t work. I have my Husqvarna ready but this scares the crap out of me. Their are a lot of stupid people voting. They will vote clean air over their own lives. Like the rest of us don’t want clean air? Sorry for the rant.

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spring
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #29
Well here’s an update about my battery situation. It turns out that when Dodge runs out of Mopar batteries at the factory they use Continental batteries as a replacement. So my battery was replaced under warranty.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I used an agm autozone battery in mine seems to be performing fine I used the burn box at the track and just walk away while it cools down and still starts fine