Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Testing Legmaker intake on stock and modified Hellcats

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
You're further proving my point. How many guys are Adding $1500 Dual pump systems with $1200 injectors and not slapping a pulley on? Just 1. If you're spending that much money, add a pulley for $300 for 50 more hp ( or more ). Save yourself the retune.

HPindy has done the same test with a Legmaker being quicker than a JLT, which was quicker than the stock box. All same day.

It all comes down to PH saying he is running the stock air intake. Which is true. But its open element. So it's apples to oranges with the hellcat since he has a redeye. Dodge would not have went open element on the Demon and Redeye had it not been quicker. The hoods make the difference between the older hellcats and Redeyes, allowing the open element to be more efficient (faster). The fastest car doesn't always win though. 😉

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #82
I'm not proving your point just the opposite. If you do all that and I don't and run faster then you how is that impressive? It took you more parts to not go faster or maybe you go a little quicker.
Like I said we all have different goals

As far as the Demon and redeye having an open filter doesn't mean it was better, it was about the only was they could catch the air from the hood scoop which helped to make more power

Here would be an interesting test. Block the hood scoop and run the car then put a Hellcat airbox on it and run it. I have learned to not not guess on what works but to try it

As far as Hpindy goes, we found different results then he did. So on his car the LMI was faster, on ours the stock air box was faster

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Lmi very well could be slightly faster. If I could have kept cool. There may be a trick to it. But just moving through the lanes popping the hood in the weather we had this week. I was seeing high iat. Even the first run I thought I was fairly cool with the lmi I did 140 put the stock on and did 141. Maybe in the fall if I do the same test and it’s 55 out I could very well see a different result.
not sure with Hpindy’s test I haven’t seen it. I’d like to find that post. At the end of the day the more data the better. I was hoping for one more stock air box run and then put the lmi back on to finish the night as that would have been the coolest pass of the day. But rain stopped us. So we can only provide the data we have.
anyone who disagrees is more than welcome to share their testing or their data. I don’t think either of us are telling you not to buy one. We are just saying here is what we saw. Heck I put mine back on if that is saying anything. I am enjoying it for now.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
On the Redeye the LMI works great because you don’t need a heat shield.. the top part is putting cold air in instead of mingling with the heat from the engine.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
On the charger I just use the Bwoody it came with the heat shield. Has a little different sound too I like than the LMI

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I finally got mine out for a run this week to test my aFe Power CAI. I love the sound of it now when you punch the pedal. The reason I installed it was strictly to hear the SC better. It does appear that the AIT is reduced by 3-5 degrees from what I used to see. As far as my butt dyno tells me, I dont feel a noticeable difference.
I am happy with this intake for sure! 5B9008EA-858B-4E9D-9022-D620ECB64850.jpeg 5CF5A444-4B86-4F70-BFAF-46E16D7C2296.jpeg

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
On the Redeye the LMI works great because you don’t need a heat shield.. the top part is putting cold air in instead of mingling with the heat from the engine.
This is true - IAT similar to stock, power same as stock, blower whine considerably louder than stock

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I finally got mine out for a run this week to test my aFe Power CAI. I love the sound of it now when you punch the pedal. The reason I installed it was strictly to hear the SC better. It does appear that the AIT is reduced by 3-5 degrees from what I used to see. As far as my butt dyno tells me, I dont feel a noticeable difference.
I am happy with this intake for sure!
So your IAT’s are cooler with this? And when you were looking at them, was it when you were cruising, stopped or combo of both?

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So your IAT’s are cooler with this? And when you were looking at them, was it when you were cruising, stopped or combo of both?
While at speed. Sitting still seems to be the same temps I had seen with the stock intake. I have to wonder if the hood vent is helping pull air from below and through the headlight opening While travelling at a decent speed.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
While at speed. Sitting still seems to be the same temps I had seen with the stock intake. I have to wonder if the hood vent is helping pull air from below and through the headlight opening While travelling at a decent speed.
How close does the shield come to sealing against the hood with that aFe?

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
How close does the shield come to sealing against the hood with that aFe?
It’s hard to say for sure. I tried putting pieces of tape with the sticky side to see if they stuck to the hood after being closed. They all fell off probably due to the air movement when closing the hood. I may try that again, or possibly pull the hood vent out to look in with a camera.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
It’s hard to say for sure. I tried putting pieces of tape with the sticky side to see if they stuck to the hood after being closed. They all fell off probably due to the air movement when closing the hood. I may try that again, or possibly pull the hood vent out to look in with a camera.
Thanks for the effort. It’s a CAI I was considering. I’ve checked clearances like that with a couple blobs of modeling clay or blue tack.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
This is what I did with my JLT intake back a few month ago IMG_9621.jpg . I bought a afe off a member and opened the top and used the same seal I made for the JLT. When I drive the car tomorrow Ill see if adding the seal to the hood and removing the plastic insert helps cool it. I also added thermal blanket to the coolant side of the tank and the coolant reservoir.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
This is what I did with my JLT intake back a few month ago View attachment 47677 . I bought a afe off a member and opened the top and used the same seal I made for the JLT. When I drive the car tomorrow Ill see if adding the seal to the hood and removing the plastic insert helps cool it. I also added thermal blanket to the coolant side of the tank and the coolant reservoir.
All great info....just glad I'm only interested in the sound..so much so...I never re new my Sirius subscription...;)

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I’m going to edit my post on the burn box. I want to see did a test today since we finally had a break in the rain. Drove the car. Let it heat soak in the garage with the hood closed. Checked it and iat were 160! Wow for one that’s hot. So I pop the hood turn the burn box on and let it cool to 145. Shut the burn box off and it would not budge off 140. I want at least 3 or 4 minutes. So I turned the burn box on and it went down in temp faster to 138 than it took to go off of 145 down a single degree without the burn box. I will say my battery is saying low now so the burn box shut off at 138.
As soon as I started the car it read 125 deg iat.

does the key in run not accurately display iat temps?

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
Kudos to both of you guys for doing the comparisons!

The burn box cool down feature didn't seem to do as much as I thought. I also had a low battery alert once after running it only for a short time. I will have to play with that more. At one point my hood was closed and I had it running and I could feel hot air being pushed out of the hood vents with a pretty good force. So I'm sure it did something.
It's funny, every time I run the cooldown feature on the Tazer, its only for about 10 maybe 15 mins. I get so worried about it killing the battery at the stripe. It does drop the temps but I guess not as much as I anticipated.

My Burnbox cool down has worked awesome. Just keep in mind its circulating ambient air and as that temp approaches what the car is the effect slows a lot.
Speedy, how long do you run the cool down for? You run both the pump & fans on high?

I actually removed a LMI and replaced it with a JLT due to the noise. LMI is pretty loud. JLT isn't a ton better but some. I must be getting old LOL.

The AFE does look interesting, but honestly I don't know that a CAI does much of anything on these cars. Looks good under the hood I guess.
I went from stock to LMI to AFe. IATs were a little cooler and took longer to rise for me while in the staging lanes (AFe over the LMI).

My AFe does have heat insulation on the outside of their intake "box"/shield.

My trap speeds stayed around the same between the 2 intakes. LMI was last year and AFe was this year. Temps and DA were pretty similar but far from same day results.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not proving your point just the opposite. If you do all that and I don't and run faster then you how is that impressive? It took you more parts to not go faster or maybe you go a little quicker.
Like I said we all have different goals

As far as the Demon and redeye having an open filter doesn't mean it was better, it was about the only was they could catch the air from the hood scoop which helped to make more power

Here would be an interesting test. Block the hood scoop and run the car then put a Hellcat airbox on it and run it. I have learned to not not guess on what works but to try it

As far as Hpindy goes, we found different results then he did. So on his car the LMI was faster, on ours the stock air box was faster
I tested the LMI vs stock box on my car. Same day 3 passes each. The stock box was quicker overall.
I noticed my IAT's were higher with the LMI in the staging lanes when moving the car up.
If I remember Hpindy was there with me.
Another time they all came down we ran all 5 cars one after another. When we parked Markp checked inlet tube temps were higher on the cars with CF tubes than the plastic.
This would be inline with what 2017 Redline HC was seeing.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
One thing I noticed yesterday playing with the burnbox my datalog temps and on dash temps don't match. Has anyone noticed this? Datalog was showing 15deg cooler at some points.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I tested the LMI vs stock box on my car. Same day 3 passes each. The stock box was quicker overall.
I noticed my IAT's were higher with the LMI in the staging lanes when moving the car up.
If I remember Hpindy was there with me.
Another time they all came down we ran all 5 cars one after another. When we parked Markp checked inlet tube temps were higher on the cars with CF tubes than the plastic.
This would be inline with what 2017 Redline HC was seeing.
Did you get any passed where temps were the same? If so did you still lose time or was it no change?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I usually run the burn box for 15 or 20 mins with fans and pump on high. Seems to do it for me.

I believe you guys are splitting hairs over temperature. The real heat comes under boost when the air is compressed. Power isn't pulled until IAT gets pretty high and then it's very progressive. From memory the hot reference IAT in the factory tune is 212 F.

I have modified the IAT modifier in my tune and I'll see about 1 deg of retard at 135 F. I'll see about 2 deg at 150 F. I've only seen 150 when hot lapping at MSHS Ky last June in 4000 DA. Each degree is worth 12 to 15hp so not all that much really. When racing I actually want my car more warm than not for consistency. Trying to set a PB I'll cool it more.

To really know you need to compare data logs imo. If one makes more noise and sets off the knock sensor or something like that it can skew results.