Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on the Jeep

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
That's why in the video I said a used one will be the ticket if you can find one that hasn't been molested too much.

I've been eyeballing a Durango and a used 2020 is now almost half the price of a 2021 new. Can't find a 392 one though. Good thing for my wallet lol.
Durango market is a lot different than the Wrangler market. Used V-6 Durango’s are a dime a dozen while the V-8 Durango’s command a higher premium. The problem with used Wranglers is that it almost makes no sense to buy used because they bring almost as much as new for a good long time. Reminds me of the HC. Over five years in and a used low mileage 2015 is worth at least 70-75% of new. You wont find any Wrangler with any engine combo for half of new for 5-7 yrs unless it has crazy miles. The Wrangler market is nuts. Makes no sense because they are readily available to order and arent limited. It’s hard to understand why people would pay so much for a used one when new is very little more. I think a used 392 Wrangler will be an even longer than usual wait to get to half of new. I just dont see the allure. Sure theyre fun and all but speaking to the bang for the buck factor theyre sort of a rip off lol. You can get so much more for your money elsewhere. FCA (Stellantis) must be making a fortune on Wranglers. Reminds me of the HC. And I disagree 1000% with a comment someone made about more owners using them for off roading than on too. Sure there are clubs and a percentage that do that but from what I’ve seen around here the vast majority are like SUV’s and never leave the pavement.

Last edited:

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Ya know, it doesn't really matter if jeep owners use them for grocery getters, weekend play things or daily drivers. It's their ride and they can do whatever the hell they want too! It should matter little to anyone else. Think jeeps are overpriced and poorly built? Then frikken don't buy one. Lots of choices out there...go make yours.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ya know, it doesn't really matter if jeep owners use them for grocery getters, weekend play things or daily drivers. It's their ride and they can do whatever the hell they want too! It should matter little to anyone else. Think jeeps are overpriced and poorly built? Then frikken don't buy one. Lots of choices out there...go make yours.
Agreed. Just trying to figure out why they cost so much used. People’s reasons for owning them clearly plays a part in market price trends. As a dealer it’s something we are always doing, trying to understand the buyer mentality for a given market. It directly affects our inventory selection and decisions. Whatever floats the boat for sure as a buyer. It‘s always a personal choice regardless.

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I also wonder that. I sold my 15 Rubicon for only a 4k loss over 5 years. Try that with most any other unlimited production vehicle. Guess it is true, it's a jeep thing. Kind of like a HD thing. Totally inferior bike, but still bring a premium. Maybe not so much any more, but you can easily get 50k tied up in a HD motorcycle. Crazy money for sure.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #45
I was just gonna mention Harley as another example. @Slowpoke387 those purchases become emotional decisions, and that's the easiest way to get someone to part with their money. It's a lot of the reason 70 model cars had such high prices for a while, everyone wanted the car they remembered from high school, or their older brother, Dad, etc drove. My buddy made a ton of money flipping those for a while. Then the new ones came out and I think depressed the market.

I haven't looked in a while, but around here Jeeps Wranglers are a dime a dozen. Prices also reflect that last time I looked so maybe it's the area?

Looked in to the new 2021 Bronco this morning. If you get the 2 door Wildtrack or better trim it gets pretty interesting, except for that 4cyl turbo power plant as the only option. Still the 2.7L 4cyl turbo claims 310hp and 400tq!

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was just gonna mention Harley as another example. @Slowpoke387 those purchases become emotional decisions, and that's the easiest way to get someone to part with their money. It's a lot of the reason 70 model cars had such high prices for a while, everyone wanted the car they remembered from high school, or their older brother, Dad, etc drove. My buddy made a ton of money flipping those for a while. Then the new ones came out and I think depressed the market.

I haven't looked in a while, but around here Jeeps Wranglers are a dime a dozen. Prices also reflect that last time I looked so maybe it's the area?

Looked in to the new 2021 Bronco this morning. If you get the 2 door Wildtrack or better trim it gets pretty interesting, except for that 4cyl turbo power plant as the only option. Still the 2.7L 4cyl turbo claims 310hp and 400tq!
Funny - I almost threw HD into my reply lol. Great minds...
I‘m thinking location def effects the market like you mentioned. It does usually play a part. Just look at new Hellcats. Seems as if the better deals are on the east coast. Maybe not as high of demand here so dealers have to deal more.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Agreed. Just trying to figure out why they cost so much used. People’s reasons for owning them clearly plays a part in market price trends. As a dealer it’s something we are always doing, trying to understand the buyer mentality for a given market. It directly affects our inventory selection and decisions. Whatever floats the boat for sure as a buyer. It‘s always a personal choice regardless.
Wrangler has been a huge money maker...not a helluva lotta tooling to up grade as far as production goes...park 5 used jeeps in a row...you cant tell one year from another...and they sell a ton of em...and your right...used bring crazy money..even rough ones...

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My girlfriend bought a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited last year with 18K miles. Neither one of us had any experience with them before last year.

We don't off road but we do live near a lot of state parks and mountain roads, taking the doors off, top off and going for a nice mountain ride is incredibly fun. I see why there is such a loyal following

They are easy to mod and maintain. There is soooo much you can do to that thing, if you like turning wrenches.

We love it !!!!

I also believe 70K for a 392 is outrageous !!! I would be surprised if they ask that much for them. Sadly, I think if they do debut at that price, they will sale all of them. I'd love to own one but not at 70K.

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
You are not going to touch the 392 for 70k. At least not for a few years and some miles.

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
Jeep will sell a ton of 392 wranglers. Folks have been paying aftermarket outfitters lots of $ to have a Hemi powered Wrangler. IMHO Moab, UT will be full of folks showing off their factory new 392 Wranglers. Of course that’s after they spend another $30K on lifts, tires, wheels, lights and assorted bling. It’s like watching dogs at a butt sniffing contest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #51
For that price I'd probably look at building one. Get a frame likely modernized and beefed up, fiber glass body to go on it, 392 and A8 from a salvage yard with all the harnesses and have at it.

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
And lose your ass when you sold it. Sad but true.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
And lose your ass when you sold it. Sad but true.
Build my own car???them days are gone..damn..I got tired just listening to him talk about it...

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #54
It's a Jeep, almost as easy as Legos LOL. You lose your ass on any new car purchase, you'd just start at a lower entry price.

Case in point, we got my wife's Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 AWD for $30K less than than the window sticker. It had 5,000 miles on the clock and it's a 2019 we bought in 2019 so same model year even. Not even the first oil change. In my experience the higher the original price the more they depreciate the first year. I'd say it's percentage based, but the math hasn't supported that. I get the deals I find are likely not your average, I know a guy, but still that's a LOT of difference.

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It's a Jeep, almost as easy as Legos LOL. You lose your ass on any new car purchase, you'd just start at a lower entry price.

Case in point, we got my wife's Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 AWD for $30K less than than the window sticker. It had 5,000 miles on the clock and it's a 2019 we bought in 2019 so same model year even. Not even the first oil change. In my experience the higher the original price the more they depreciate the first year. I'd say it's percentage based, but the math hasn't supported that. I get the deals I find are likely not your average, I know a guy, but still that's a LOT of difference.
LOL, my wife drives a '19 Q50 Red Sport 400 & we got a very similar deal on it. It's a fun car, but not worth the $55K+ original sticker !

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
For that price I'd probably look at building one. Get a frame likely modernized and beefed up, fiber glass body to go on it, 392 and A8 from a salvage yard with all the harnesses and have at it.
You read my mind. Used Hellcat motor and let the games begin.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #57
LOL, my wife drives a '19 Q50 Red Sport 400 & we got a very similar deal on it. It's a fun car, but not worth the $55K+ original sticker !
HA, that's funny. We love ours, very fast, it's just soooo quiet. Kinda freaky it's pinning you to the seat and you don't hear anything really happening. Ours was one of the cars an Infiniti exec drove. I guess they get new ones every 6 mos or something thus the low miles. Whoever spec'd it ticked every single box, crazy stuff we'd have never gotten due to cost like a "carbon fiber package" which is just a small fin on the trunk, vents on the doors, and side mirror covers. I think that one option was like $2,000! Sticker on ours was almost $70K which is nuts.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
HA, that's funny. We love ours, very fast, it's just soooo quiet. Kinda freaky it's pinning you to the seat and you don't hear anything really happening. Ours was one of the cars an Infiniti exec drove. I guess they get new ones every 6 mos or something thus the low miles. Whoever spec'd it ticked every single box, crazy stuff we'd have never gotten due to cost like a "carbon fiber package" which is just a small fin on the trunk, vents on the doors, and side mirror covers. I think that one option was like $2,000! Sticker on ours was almost $70K which is nuts.
Ours has most of the options, but not that tech pkg. or AWD. Must have been for some JR. exec - LOL. It is WAY too quiet for my taste, but it's her car and I'm not allowed to make it loud :unsure: What's really nuts is it's RWD and there's no 'posi-track' , so if you turn off the electronic nannies you get the 1 wheel peel ! It's not even an option, so you either get AWD or 1 - go figure !

My M45s was a similar deal - totally loaded exec car only 10 months old for 1/2 what a new one would have set me back. Knowing how easy it is to score one of these exec off-lease deals, there's no way I'd ever buy a new one from them again.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Last edited:

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I agree have not been impressed with the new era of Jeeps...besides the Trackhawk (y)

Leaning towards a Range Rover for the next daily driver currently. Amazing offroad and apparently can tow the cat.
View attachment 38228

Overpriced Ford Explorer in my book...