Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tire rotating on wheel

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Track doesn’t give you guys crap for not having metal valve stems?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
This is incorrect. Water has nothing to do with directional tires. They are directional because of the way they are constructed and designed to be rotating on the vehicle.

Here's an excerpt from Tire safety.com.
https://www.tiresafety.com/en_us/maintaining-tires/tire-maintenance/tire-rotation

"Directional treads are designed to perform in the direction denoted on the tire sidewall only. They must always be rotated front to rear — no matter the vehicle they are installed on — so the direction of the rotation does not change."

I hate to hear about another limited edition Demon going down for something that can be avoided.

Hope this helps...
This is correct.
Do not run Directional tires
Backwards.
I have seen this happen when tires are new.
Screenshot_2020-01-15-13-32-21.png

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
This is incorrect. Water has nothing to do with directional tires. They are directional because of the way they are constructed and designed to be rotating on the vehicle.

Here's an excerpt from Tire safety.com.
https://www.tiresafety.com/en_us/maintaining-tires/tire-maintenance/tire-rotation

"Directional treads are designed to perform in the direction denoted on the tire sidewall only. They must always be rotated front to rear — no matter the vehicle they are installed on — so the direction of the rotation does not change."

I hate to hear about another limited edition Demon going down for something that can be avoided.

Hope this helps...
Agreed. Had some discussions about this one of the Youtube Charger guys because one of his posts included photos of him with this rears on backwards....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Out of curiousity, OP, who did your tire mount and how long between the mount and the drag racing?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
This is correct.
Do not run Directional tires
Backwards.
I have seen this happen when tires are new.
View attachment 10381
That's interesting, the delamination thing

However, this: "This is incorrect. Water has nothing to do with directional tires."

Is not always correct. In the case of tires expected to encounter water on the road, specifically.

Often directional tires DO have a very specific water-path-upon-contact reason for the directionality of their tread. Goodyear started this with their "natural path" rain tires years ago. Deep water, when a tire runs over it, wants to flee in two primary directions, in combination: straight forward and towards the edges. "natural path" rain tires attempt to have their grooves aimed to align most effectively with that direction.

1579121297109.png
As you can see, the tires above are designed with that exact principle in mind. I have seen photos of Goodyear engineers manually cutting grooves in rain compound tires at the racetrack that followed a similar pattern.

Possibly actual Goodyear F1 tires:
1579121507732.png

Yes, the direction that rain and deep water takes when interacting with the tire surface as it drives over it has a LOT to do with the directional nature of SOME tires.

Definitely an actual F1 tire:

1579121718340.png
Note: marketing hype has zero to do with this tire's design. It's F1. Performance, and ONLY performance is the criteria for its design, from casing to tread surface. In fact, this tire is designed for one thing, and one thing only; driving in the wet.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just for the record, Formula 1 slicks are mandated from the manufacturers to be directional only (and they get highly agitated if a team reverses them, which has happened). High performance tires especially, because of the G forces the tire must withstand are designed and manufactured to very high tolerances. Directionality is primarily driven by the design of the tire body but water channeling efficiency also plays a role, albeit secondary.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Sanford
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Scat Pack
Our 2.75 pullied Redeye has been best of 1.29 60' with beadlocks. Do it.
Went 1.31 today in the heat.

555 Redeye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairborn
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 SRT Jailbreak
I run the Mt street r on my Demon.

I use hi- tack.

When my tire moves a couple inches. I mark it. Then

Rotate the tires to the opposite side of the car.

Next time they spin they will start Rebalancing themselves.

Do not drive in the rain.
Not sure if you are kidding around, but in reality, you can't do that with MT S Rs since they are specific rotation directional tires.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Might be a dumb question, but....

Background:
My 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's are rotating on my non-beadlock Bravada Tribute rims. Just bought the tires so I theoretically have a lot more runs in them.

IF I go to beadlocks, will want to drop to a 17" wheel, but I don't want to "throw away" good money on my current 18" DRs because, frankly, they're not cheap.

Question:
Can I let all the air out of the tires and try to "spin" them back to their original orientation, thus (hopefully) preserving the balance (or at least minimizing any 'wobble' from them not returning to exact balance position)???

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock

Background:
My 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's are rotating on my non-beadlock Bravada Tribute rims. Just bought the tires so I theoretically have a lot more runs in them.

IF I go to beadlocks, will want to drop to a 17" wheel, but I don't want to "throw away" good money on my current 18" DRs because, frankly, they're not cheap.

Question:
Can I let all the air out of the tires and try to "spin" them back to their original orientation, thus (hopefully) preserving the balance (or at least minimizing any 'wobble' from them not returning to exact balance position)???
I use the same idea but rotate the weight instead of the tire.
I mark the rim and tire when they're first installed/balanced. I have
the wheel weights put on duct tape and when the tires have moved to a point that the car starts to shake I simply remove the tire, measure how far it's rotated and then move the weights that far. It's pretty low tech but it works.

It's a good idea to balance the wheel first, then mount and balance the tire using separate weights so that you are only moving tire balancing weight when you move it. In my case my Welds are pretty much on the money so no weight was needed for that.

Also, the slippage doesn't seem to be any sort of real issue or cause any other problems that I can see. So, once the balance is no longer an issue beadlocks don't seem anywhere near as 'needed' as they did before.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should look to move my wheel weights so they line up with the same point on the tire as they did when balanced? Seems to make more sense, at least until I can get back to a shop and have the wheel balanced, then when tire applied, the weights "re-balancing" the combo taped on, not glued.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thanks for the reply.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should look to move my wheel weights so they line up with the same point on the tire as they did when balanced? Seems to make more sense, at least until I can get back to a shop and have the wheel balanced, then when tire applied, the weights "re-balancing" the combo taped on, not glued.
Yes. If the tire has moved 6" then simply move the weight 6" and you're much closer to balanced than you were before moving the weights.

FWIW - My tires move a LOT. In 32 runs a few weeks back the right one moved over 15". The car leaves pretty hard so I guess it's understandable. I learned to move the weight past the measurement(ie. move the weight 8" when the tire has moved 6") so that the tire spends more runs 'near' the correct balance before getting back to shaking. <<< I hope I made that make sense. lol

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Background:

Question:
About 12 years ago I had a buddy of mine who had his DR's rotating on the wheel. He marked the wheel and the tire and believe it or by his third trip the track the tire lined back up again and was balanced again on it's own. Probably a fluke but it is possible.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
[QUOTE="motorhead, post: 59797, member:

Wheel balance beads are another option:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Tire-Beads...ds&qid=1582156731&sprefix=wheel+balanc&sr=8-8[/QUOTE]
Now that's cool , I've never heard of this , have you used them b4 ?
So I guess you take all of the led weights off the wheels & pour in these Tire Beads ?
Are they reusable when you change tires ?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Interesting.... very. Learn something new everyday. Don't see why it wouldn't work...

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
[QUOTE="motorhead, post: 59797, member:

Wheel balance beads are another option:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Tire-Beads...ds&qid=1582156731&sprefix=wheel+balanc&sr=8-8
So I guess you take all of the led weights off the wheels & pour in these Tire Beads ?
Are they reusable when you change tires ?[/QUOTE]
That is what I'm going to do this year. Tire beads are next. Between tires moving periodically and weights falling off. I'm tired of running back and forth to the tire shop.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That is what I'm going to do this year. Tire beads are next. Between tires moving periodically and weights falling off. I'm tired of running back and forth to the tire shop.[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna do the same , as soon as I find a chart that shows how much to use in each tire so I know how much to order.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That is what I'm going to do this year. Tire beads are next. Between tires moving periodically and weights falling off. I'm tired of running back and forth to the tire shop.
I'm gonna do the same , as soon as I find a chart that shows how much to use in each tire so I know how much to order.[/QUOTE]
I am supposed to go into work next monday. I was going to look it up in the catalog so I can order the correct ones. I will copy it if they still have the catalog.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Correct. They balance the wheel assembly through centrifugal force, the weight goes where it is needed. I suppose the beads are reusable if you can catch them. ;)